collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G4 fan artist involved in 2021 pony movie  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: G4 fan artist involved in 2021 pony movie
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2020, 03:20:56 PM »
I'm a G1 person but I have things I love from every generation. The things I love from those generations are often things not found in G1. I don't like G4's nods to G1, particularly, and I didn't see the need for G3 to use names like Applejack, Sand Dollar, Moondancer etc either.

Hasn't Hasbro been doing this since the beginning tho? Even G2 had recycled names.

G2 nothing, G1 had recycled names! Salty, Buttons, Misty...

Not in the UK, Gingerbread aside. And as she was also sold here as Molasses, it's a bit academic.

I think G2's repeat names are mostly within G2. Is "Prince Firefly" the same as "Firefly"? Not really persuaded. And again, "Sundance" is not an actual G2 name outside of the US. She's Sunsparkle in English in Europe, as all later versions of her demonstrate.

Only North America has real problems in G1 and G2 with name repetition, hence why it stood out to me in G3.

But that's kind of aside the point I was making, which I'm pretty sure is obvious, but in case it wasn't, I was saying that each generation brings its own new things to the table and that is what is good about having generations that don't hang onto previous generations.

Not quite sure why that got twisted into semantics about repeated names...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2020, 06:44:36 PM »
While I like her art and it's very good, I'd like to see the 5th generation of My Little Pony not use a rehash of the Faust style (please). I know they said that the movie is supposed to kind of connect the two generations but with a whole new cast of ponies... however, the Faust style is getting a little too old for me, same with mimicking styles.

As far as names being reused... I don't mind so much... there are only so many you can do to a degree for some (and so far for me G4 had some of the worse names made, some of which I believe were pulled from the fanbase)

All the Generations have reused names from both within their respective generation as well as previous generations (with Gen 1 being the only one to recycle names in it's own generation as there were no other pony generations before it), some just didn't do it as often.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2020, 07:50:58 PM »
I’ll admit when I saw your title I felt a thrill of panic; there are many, many creepy artists in this fandom it seems. I’m so glad that someone without a long and storied history of creep-dom gets a chance to go pro! Good for them!!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2020, 08:04:42 PM »
We don't know what precisely they're working on either. Could be background design. Could be random animals. But yeah no more faust crap please, I really hate it, and I say this to Hasbro, not the person. Because they are going to draw whatever they're told to and it will be how hasbro wants it. I don't begrudge this person their success for the record.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 08:06:47 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline fuzzysherbet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2020, 09:52:10 PM »
I haven't heard of this artist, but good for them!! It's great to know that people who really care about mlp are working on this movie.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2020, 11:10:54 PM »
I'm a G1 person but I have things I love from every generation. The things I love from those generations are often things not found in G1. I don't like G4's nods to G1, particularly, and I didn't see the need for G3 to use names like Applejack, Sand Dollar, Moondancer etc either.

Hasn't Hasbro been doing this since the beginning tho? Even G2 had recycled names.

My favorite is Pink Dreams, which Hasbro used on two ponies in the same year.  :P  Edit:  Same year as the two Saltys, ha ha!

Anyway, I don't mind reused names and I think references to other gens are fun.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 11:14:27 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2020, 03:14:08 AM »

My favorite is Pink Dreams, which Hasbro used on two ponies in the same year.  :P  Edit:  Same year as the two Saltys, ha ha!

Again, not here, as technically neither were available in the UK.

The name Salty also doesn't exist here.

But again, this is really irrelevant to the point being made about different generations being different.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 03:23:27 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2020, 07:27:11 AM »

Anyway, I don't mind reused names and I think references to other gens are fun.

I know the flutter pony, but who was the second Pink Dreams?

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2020, 08:09:23 AM »
The "Soft 'n Sleepy Newborn" (really big blinking newborn pony) was the second one.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2020, 11:43:46 AM »
The "Soft 'n Sleepy Newborn" (really big blinking newborn pony) was the second one.

Oh yeah. I keep forgetting those exist.

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2020, 07:31:36 PM »
Oh, wow that's pretty cool! I love her art and have followed her on dA for years but this is news to me!

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2020, 10:23:11 AM »
I’m curious as to if this is going to set a precedent of some sort going into future generations. There are a Lot of fans and their creations I would love to see mass produced under the pony license, but at the same time, I don’t think too much fan involvement would be a good thing.
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2020, 11:08:00 AM »
I think that people shouldn't look too deep into it. It's really up the chain that dictates the direction of art/story/etc.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2020, 04:05:12 PM »
In terms of keeping G4 themes into G5, I figure a lot of people who came in with G4 will feel a bit that way and it's understandable. The thing is that when you've been a fan of MLP for longer than G4, you're also used to the idea of a complete reboot being the basis for a new generation. While all of us have our favourite generations, there's a kind of expectation now that new gen = new world and new ponies.

Even as someone who 99% started with G4 (I saw the beginning of Rescue From Midnight Castle as a kid), I have been used to the idea that each generation is a separate universe for a long time.  The thing is, when I essentially said that it would be good for G5 to take elements from G4 (and previous generations), I meant little things, nostalgic shout-outs, such as a line from a G1 episode being said in a different circumstance, a location based on and/or named after a G2 playset, a pattern on the wall resembling a G3 pony's cutie mark, a foal's music box playing the melody of a G4 song, that kind of thing.  The actual universes of the generations don't necessarily cross over, but they give a little nostalgic reminder of what came before the current one, be it for the fans of those generations who are still watching, for the fan(s) of the previous generations working on the show (if there are any), or both.

I even felt like this during G4, around the time I started to check out the previous generations - I wanted G4 to include these style of shout-outs, and got excited when I thought they were doing so, even though it turned out they weren't; like when I was so sure that there was a shout-out to G1 because I thought the candle on Twilight Sparkle's door was supposed to be So Soft Twilight's symbol (it wasn't) or the fact that G4 Sweetie Belle being comically bad at cooking was supposed to be a playful reference to her G3.5 self, who was good at cooking - a kind of fun way of admitting that they'd changed the characters, but they still have respect for their original version (this was likely just me grasping at straws.) 

This is basically what I do when I reboot things, and (despite my apparent misinterpretations) FiM was one of my main inspirations for doing so - even if my projects are a completely new thing, they still contain shout-outs of this ilk to the previous version(s), as a little salute to what came before done out of love (and to see if the earlier fans spot it.)  In fact, this is even what I am doing with a My Little Pony fanseries I am involved with, despite the fact that it's not a reboot, actually is a sequel to G4 (albeit an almost completely Alternate Universe one) and actually includes ponies from previous generations as characters (I plan on explaining this better in a later thread, I realise it's not the entire point here.)

The thing you have to realise, if you're not sure about shifting on from G4 is that you run the risk of them taking something you love and tainting it by reworking it in a way that's not the thing you originally came to love. While it's probably more difficult to let go of G4, the only thing worse than letting go of something that ends naturally is seeing it slog on painfully where it shouldn't be.

As far as I can see, I am fine with shifting on from G4 - I fully expect G5 to be it's own thing, even if it was to use all of the Mane Six names, I still get that they would be different ponies (or should be) within a different world - I don't expect G5 to be Friendship is Magic Part 2 or anything (I even view Pony Life as a separate entity, just one a little closer to G4 than an actual G5 would be.)  I am fine for G5 to be it's own thing, and not a G4 sequel, and would expect nothing less.  Whatever happens G4, and the generations before it will continue to exist though rewatches, fanon material, and nostalgia - as one line in my favorite My Little Pony theme song says; "They will always have a place in my heart."

I hope no one minded me writing this response, I realise it's not the main point of the thread.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 07:58:15 AM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2020, 08:23:21 PM »
I think that people shouldn't look too deep into it. It's really up the chain that dictates the direction of art/story/etc.

Yeah, this.  She's a fan artist in the sense that "she's a fan", but she's a professional artist in the sense of "this is how I earn money to pay rent."  And part of being a professional commercial artist is being able to adapt to whatever style is required of you.

Like, it's not like she only draws cartoon-style G4, she clearly has a lot of range:

http://fav.me/d8v31ye

^ That was a SPEED-DRAW.  I couldn't draw something that good if I worked on it for ten years.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 08:25:51 PM by LadyMoondancer »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal