collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Are the HQG1C ponies safe for kids?  (Read 1518 times)

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Are the HQG1C ponies safe for kids?
« on: September 01, 2020, 07:43:47 PM »
My friends are having a baby and so their current son is going to be a big brother.  I'm making him a big brother pony-themed shirt, and I just had the idea that it would be fun to give him a big brother pony, too.  But I don't want to give an actual G1 big brother because 1 - its hard to find one flawless enough to give that a kid wouldn't notice it was used or "dirty" and 2 - I have safety concerns about those old ponies leaking plasticizer and such and becoming a safety hazard.  :whoa: 

So I thought about getting one of the HQG1C ponies (either Dasher or one of the blanks and I would rehair it), but I don't know if they are really made with kids in mind safety-wise (I definitely chewed on my ponies as a kid...).  Does anyone know if they have a recommended age, or if there is any kind of safety-testing of them?

Thanks in advance!
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Are the HQG1C ponies safe for kids?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 09:30:36 PM »
Nope. Not safe at all, the deviant little monsters will snatch that kid right outta the crib and whisk them away to lands unknown. All the while, the parents won't notice that their newborn child is suddenly sporting bright pink hair and neighs when they talk.

Joking aside, its fine to get it as a keepsake, but not as a newborn toy. Cloth covered baby rattles, soft toys, and practical gifts would be much better at this stage. Doesn't mean the kid can't play with it when they're 2-3 years old though.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 09:37:03 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 10:13:04 PM »
I don't think anything with synthetic hair is great for newborns.  They chew on everything and I would think eating synthetic hair would be bad for them (even if it's non-toxic.)

I agree with Leave A Whisper, try a rattle or something.

Edit:  Oh wait, I reread the first post and it sounds like the toy is for their current son?  Not the newborn?  How old is he?  :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 10:17:16 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 11:18:32 PM »
Yeah, I'd have to know the kiddo's age, personally! 2-3, ehh, debatable, just because they're still pretty mouthy then right? Maybe 4-5 would be a safer age. Either way, I'd suggest giving it a quick wash with some dish soap, sometimes they have a bit of a chemically smell, probably the release from the mold. And, y'know, JUST in case they want to put it in their mouth... :lmao:

I'd also suggest reinforcing the tail with an extra zip tie, when I brushed the tails of many of my HQG1C ponies they started falling apart! I think most of them are only made with one zip tie in the factory, and some of the ones I pulled out to replace were extremely loose!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 03:40:50 AM »
Most likely, but you don't know for sure. They don't need to be made to any "safety standard" because they are not a toy on a store shelf.

For example, it's possible that they could have lead paint.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 07:31:42 AM »
Ah, sorry, I think my grammar may have been confusing now that I reread it.  The pony and shirt would be for the older child, the actual big brother in this situation.  I think he will be about 3 1/2 years old when the baby is born.  But it sounds like it might be best to skip it.  That's okay, more ponies for me  :lol:  Maybe I can make him a little child-safe pony plush or something.   ^.^

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 07:32:03 AM »
I will leave the experts to answer this...
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 07:45:33 AM »
No I don't believe that the HQG1C go through any safety testing, because that process is so expensive, we would never have been able to have the items produced.  It's tens of thousands of dollars to have this testing done on each and every bit of the materials.  they ARE for collectors, after all, and not marketed to kids.

I would stick with actual Anniversary toys - like the Basic Fun ones.  those definitely have had the testing.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 07:46:28 AM »
Nope. Not safe at all, the deviant little monsters will snatch that kid right outta the crib and whisk them away to lands unknown. All the while, the parents won't notice that their newborn child is suddenly sporting bright pink hair and neighs when they talk.

Joking aside, its fine to get it as a keepsake, but not as a newborn toy. Cloth covered baby rattles, soft toys, and practical gifts would be much better at this stage. Doesn't mean the kid can't play with it when they're 2-3 years old though.
that’s....a little terrifying. Are you implying that the HQGIC’s are changelings?
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 08:12:55 AM »
As a keepsake 'Big Brother' item that his parents will put away for him, it would be a cute and thoughtful gift. But as a toy meant to be played with, I'd skip it. My son is 5 and the new g4 ponies I bought for him are trashed. HQG1Cs are a tad expensive for this purpose (especially since the Big Brother significance will fly right over his head at this age), I'd go with a Basic Fun pony or a plush.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 08:58:36 AM »
Echoing that anniversary ponies would be the best bet out of all of them, but it's a shame no Big Brothers are made yet. Perhaps it could be a bonding thing go pick one out at the store. ^.^
Oh, also, My HQG1C have Poly hair yeah? I don't think it's the best for running fingers through. I think a kid would get more hair fun out of a nylon one.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 09:31:46 AM »
Whoops sorry! I didn't catch the part about being for the older sibling.  :redface: Reading comprehension! What is it good for? Honestly, I'd ask the parents what he's into.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 10:54:04 AM »
I don't know much about developmental ages of kids so I'll leave that discussion to everyone else . . . But I will say, you can still buy "blank" G3s:

https://www.amazon.com/LITTLE-Decorate-Pony-Custom-Figure/dp/B00AHJN27M
https://wickedskinny.storenvy.com/products/16210125-hasbro-4-decorate-your-own-diy-my-little-pony

A fun project could be having the little kid decorate his own pony by coloring it with markers.  (Acrylic paint is not going to stand up to a 3.5 year old's play IMO.)  Probably it will not end up looking very professional or beautiful to adults, but I'll bet he would love the project and the pony, and that's what's important.  :)  And if he decides his art pony is a boy, then it's a boy.  The parents could even cut the hair short if that's what the kid wants.  :)

The art ponies are designed to be craft projects so it's not like something expensive or rare is being altered.

I think the Basic Fun ponies are also a great suggestion! :)  I don't think the lack of Big Brother molds matters at all--the G1 pony molds are very unisex, they're just horses.  The only feature that looks "feminine coded" are the long eyelashes . . . which the Big Brother ponies also have.  :P 
 And there are a lot of Basic Fun ponies who aren't in "feminine associated" colors--Applejack, Bubbles, Sparkler, Gusty, Flutterbye.  (Assuming the little boy even cares about any of that . . .)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 10:59:24 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Clipper

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+122)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Clipper
    • View Profile
    • Clipper's Sail
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 11:06:41 AM »
they are safe for kids, but are generally for collectors use. The factory sends out their plastics to get safety tested (not specially for each pony made) and then used for their productions. They technically are not allowed to be made if there is not testing involved and of course pass all qualifications. Eventually I would like to get each character tested when we made more. The  hair, paint and plastic these are made from, are shared from many larger known toy lines that the factory makes and sells worldwide.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 11:08:36 AM by Clipper »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2020, 11:49:47 AM »
they are safe for kids, but are generally for collectors use. The factory sends out their plastics to get safety tested (not specially for each pony made) and then used for their productions. They technically are not allowed to be made if there is not testing involved and of course pass all qualifications. Eventually I would like to get each character tested when we made more. The  hair, paint and plastic these are made from, are shared from many larger known toy lines that the factory makes and sells worldwide.

I think your response still makes me think "most likely"..
But since you are unable to individually test, then theres still a small question mark in my mind.  Just a tiny one.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal