collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Non mint/restored common G1s  (Read 1054 times)

Offline SparkleSkye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Custom Bait Pony
  • I have anxiety pls be nice to me
    • View Profile
Non mint/restored common G1s
« on: July 02, 2018, 04:03:48 PM »
And what to do with all of them.
I've been on a bit of a pony shopping spree lately and have ended up with a lot of okay/fair to near bait condition common G1s: Peachy, Moondancer, Firefly, ect. The problem is I dont know what to do with them all. I only want to keep one or two of each pony for my personal collection, but I'm worried that okay condition common ponies wont sell for much or at all, and might just be baited if they do sell. Especially if they're ones I've restored (most of what I've aquired needs symbol touch ups and a few need rehairing).
I'm worried about the fate of these girls, but I'm running out of room in my makeshift pony workspace for all of them. What should I do with them?
Sparkleworks and Autumn Skye are girlfriends

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Non mint/restored common G1s
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 04:22:20 PM »
I'm in the same boat! A lot of them I bought from 'bait lots', and when they arrived I realized I couldn't bait them in good conscience.

Unfortunately, once you sell a pony, it's up to the new owner to decide what to do with them; it's why I'm so hesitant to sell, LOL! But I think if you add a disclaimer like, "please don't buy these ponies for bait", it should stop most customizing folks, since generally people are nice and don't want to hurt others! :) (Well, at least on the MLPArena, LOL!)

You could always advertise your ponies as "great starter ponies" or "beginner pony lots", and sell them in little groups? Like, a bunch of common first year ponies might be popular for newbie collectors who want the characters from the show! :) You could also sell some of the bald ones as 'alternate rehair candidates' - since that way the pony will stay mostly unchanged, but she'll get nice new hair!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 08:29:22 PM »
How important is it that they are gone vs you getting money? You could have a $3 each or 2/$5 or similar sale, as there are some people who don't have all of the commons and may not browse all the generic "g1 for sale" posts. If you restored a pony, and you state that you did, many fellow collectors would most likely respect that and not bait them. Otherwise, ebay.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 11:47:57 PM »
Alternate rehairing seems to be making a comeback, or am I mistaken? Because I think you are correct in believing that touching up the ponies may not be worth your while. Perhaps you can try selling them as starter lots or alternate rehair candidates as Snapdragon suggested. However you won't really be able to prevent the new owner from customising them if that is why they buy them. I suppose you will need to decide what you want to do at the end of the day.

Offline SparkleSkye

• Custom Bait Pony
  • I have anxiety pls be nice to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 03:28:56 PM »
I was more or less already planning to give alt rehairs to the common ponies that needed new hair anyway, so great minds think alike  :biggrin:
I wonder if there's such a thing as an alternate colored cutie mark? Several of my commons have extremely faded cutie marks, perhaps repainting them in with new colors could add a little extra flair.
Of course if I did that and sold them I would make extremely clear to potential buyers that the symbols were repainted and not factory, and mark the pony as a semi custom somewhere.

I'm not terribly concerned with selling them for a lot of money, as I almost exclusively buy in lots that come out to less than $4 a pony, usually as low as $2 a pony. So just breaking even on the cost of aquiring the pony + hair if needed is perfectly acceptable to me.
Sparkleworks and Autumn Skye are girlfriends

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 12:45:53 AM »
I don't see why not? Or even just giving them some shading, or glitter if they didn't originally have any or some such thing. As you say: the ponies are already 'customised' so this would give them that little something extra in my opinion.

Offline PoserBeachball

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 01:22:09 AM »
I was more or less already planning to give alt rehairs to the common ponies that needed new hair anyway, so great minds think alike  :biggrin:
I wonder if there's such a thing as an alternate colored cutie mark? Several of my commons have extremely faded cutie marks, perhaps repainting them in with new colors could add a little extra flair.
Of course if I did that and sold them I would make extremely clear to potential buyers that the symbols were repainted and not factory, and mark the pony as a semi custom somewhere.

I'm not terribly concerned with selling them for a lot of money, as I almost exclusively buy in lots that come out to less than $4 a pony, usually as low as $2 a pony. So just breaking even on the cost of aquiring the pony + hair if needed is perfectly acceptable to me.

I've done this with a few. I don't mind rehairs as it's obvious that the pony is different (has had work), and they look so pretty.

Be warned though - mine end up staying because they look so nice displayed with their 'siblings'  (or Hubby gets taken with one, names it, and they get the best spots in the cabinets :) :) )

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 08:43:33 AM »
I loove alternate rehairs, I'm glad to see they're coming back. I'd totally look into some if you went through with doing it yourself.
Also seconding the Beginner Pony Lot idea. I know some G4 fans are starting to look longingly into the G1 history for sake of variety in their collections.

Sig by Starscout <3

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 03:32:57 PM »
Also there are some ponies which are common in the US but difficult to get in other places. It might be that you can find new homes for some of them overseas. Obviously it's up to you, ultimately, but there may be a home somewhere for a pony who is common but in good condition, rather than her being rehaired or repainted. A lot of the common early ponies in the US eg Moondancer, Medley etc were never sold in the UK and thus much rarer here.

I think that so long as you are up front about any restoration work you did on any of the ponies, whether it be to repaint a symbol or rehair, then it's not a big issue to do that.

People will treat their ponies in the way they see fit, and often don't really care about the seller's wishes because once the transaction is done, the seller no longer has involvement. So if you really don't want them to be baited, then maybe selling them is a bad idea. Once a pony is out of your hands, it's out of your control.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 12:04:05 AM »
I think alt rehairs would sell better than alt symbols, to be honest. That, or sell them in small lots as they are like people have already suggested :) 'beginner/restoration lot' maybe?
I'm a picky collector, but I love restoring and will sometimes buy really sad looking ponies just to fix them up ^^

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal