collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Mimic and Mimickers. Headcanons?  (Read 1534 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Mimic and Mimickers. Headcanons?
« on: June 28, 2018, 11:15:59 PM »
I'm interested in knowing if you guys might have any theories or headcanons on the g1 pony, Mimic (who is said to have been a descendant from a unicorn who was from the land of Argyte/ Argite in "The Golden Horseshoes", and the g4 comic-exclusive creature, the Greater Equestrian Mimicker (IDW comic Micro-Series #7), who is said to be like the MLP:FiM Changelings, by way of abilities, but ponies is the only thing the Mimicker cannot shapeshift into, apparently.
Are these two connected in a way that is far deeper than name similarities? What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 11:52:39 PM by nightmare muffin »
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Mimic and Mimickers. Headcanons?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 11:37:16 PM »
Mimic's not rare.  She's expensive because of being sought after.  Unless this 'rare' label is out of G4 comic lore, in which case disregard.   No headcanons to offer I'm afraid; Mimic's just another toy to me.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 11:44:47 PM »
Seconding what Baby Sugarberry said about Mimic's perceived rarity. She's just a popular pony.

I can't lend any insight as I'm unfamiliar with the G4 lore you're mentioning.

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 11:52:28 PM »
That is pretty cool- but I don't know that I would have ever connected the two! It looks like only the name has anything in common, but it is fun to think that somewhere in Mimic's past there is a Changling… she should do that DNA test thing! Hahaha!
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 12:42:05 AM »
It's been a long time since I saw the Magic Horseshoes so I'm hazy but I was of the perspective that the whole horseshoe thing was because Mimic was descended from some really old past unicorn...and since no other unicorns were affected by horseshoe fever, it seems she must have had a particularly specifically unicorn heritage. Otherwise the story wouldn't have made much sense.

I don't know the G4 thing at all either, but it sounds unrelated to me. G4 does recycle and copy things from G1 but I think this is coincidental. You said it was a creature who can shapeshift into anything but a pony. Mimic is a pony whose survival depends on pony magic. Kind of separates them entirely.

In terms of chronology, for me G1 always comes before G4 in headcanon terms (where G1 might be a mediaeval pony world). But there are G1 and G4 things that don't intersect. Frankly, the more G4 things that don't intersect with G1 the better, in some ways, because it means that they're creating their own canon rather than scavenging from earlier generations.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 12:45:35 AM »
The original unicorn from "the land of Argyte" looks a LOT like Majesty, so I've always headcanonned Mimic as a descendant of hers.  It would make sense if Majesty was the "toy" inspiration since she did come with four golden horseshoes.  Unfortunately I don't know anything about the G4 mimickers, but Mimic & the Mimickers would be a good band name.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 12:38:16 PM »
Mimic doesn't shapeshift. She's called that because of her parrot symbol.

The only shapeshifters in ponyland to my knowledge are Rep and the Pennas.

So these Mimickers are likely just their own thing.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 12:50:45 PM »
The original unicorn from "the land of Argyte" looks a LOT like Majesty, so I've always headcanonned Mimic as a descendant of hers.  It would make sense if Majesty was the "toy" inspiration since she did come with four golden horseshoes. 

After reading this post I looked at my copy of "Spike and the Magic Shoes" and when Spike is wearing them they grant his wish of being invisible and being able to fly. It's been a while since I watched the episode but I think one of the horseshoe had the power to take the owner wherever they wished and another could help the owner be able to read another creature's thoughts. I can see how this story might have been influenced by Majesty's golden horseshoes.

I also agree with Taffeta that the illness only affected Mimic because she was the only unicorn of the ponies that was a direct descendent from the Unicorn of Argyte.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 01:05:51 PM »
Did we ever see Mimic's special unicorn power in MLP & Friends?  (Besides being able to . . . get sick because of horseshoes.  LOL.)  I presume the powers of the horseshoes are their own thing and still still has her own unicorn magic.

when Spike is wearing them they grant his wish of being invisible and being able to fly. It's been a while since I watched the episode but I think one of the horseshoe had the power to take the owner wherever they wished and another could help the owner be able to read another creature's thoughts.

Ohhh, I didn't even remember that storybook but yeah you're right!  Nice catch!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 01:07:30 PM by LadyMoondancer »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 01:06:30 PM »
Did we ever see Mimic's special unicorn power in MLP & Friends?  (Besides being able to . . . get sick because of horseshoes.  LOL.)  I presume the powers of the horseshoes are their own thing and still still has her own unicorn magic.

Nope.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 01:27:00 PM »

Nope.

Ah, okay!  Well, based on her name I imagine it has something to do with imitating other creatures or beings.  Possibly highly auditory based because her symbol is a parrot?  But then again there doesn't have to be too much of a correlation--like Fizzy's magic doesn't actually have anything to do with sodas, just bubbles.

Here are some D&D spells that might be good as a basis for Mimic's powers:

Disguise Self - You as well as your belongings look different. 1' shorter or taller, thinner or fatter, but must use the same body shape.  (Mimic could disguise herself as a cow, but not as a bushwoolie.)  It is an illusion and doesn't hold up to physical inspection.

Alter Self  - Basic shape can't change but you become that form. It is not an illusion, your body literally changes.

Project Image - The spellcaster creates an illusionary version of them within 500 miles. The illusion looks and sounds like you but is intangible. If the illusion takes any damage, it disappears, and the spell ends.  You can move this illusion and make it gesture, speak, and behave in whatever way you choose. It mimics your mannerisms perfectly.  You can see through its eyes and hear through its ears as if you were in its space.

Minor Illusion - You create a sound or an image of an object.  If you create an image of an object it must be no larger than a 5-foot cube. Physical interaction with the image reveals it to be an illusion.

Mirror Image - Three illusions of yourself appear around you. The duplicates move with you and mimic your actions, shifting position so it's impossible to track which image is real.  When something tries to attack you, they have a chance of hitting an illusion instead.  Every time an illusion is "hit" it disappears.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 01:29:15 PM by LadyMoondancer »

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 01:31:08 PM »
Mimic doesn't shapeshift. She's called that because of her parrot symbol.

The only shapeshifters in ponyland to my knowledge are Rep and the Pennas.

So these Mimickers are likely just their own thing.
I'm aware of that, which is why I didn't say that she did.
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 01:40:58 PM »
Doesn’t Mimic only have two lines in episode? I know one is “Thank you everyone” when she’s well again and I think the other one is “I don’t know” right at the begining when Spike and Swet Stuff ask what’s wrong.

Maybe Mimic can make a copy of another creature but not change herself into that creature. :) It would have been neat to see her unicorn power.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2018, 01:42:47 PM »
Yeah, for being an episode based around Mimic . . . that story didn't have much Mimic in it.

To me the funniest part is Megan going "Huh, her tongue isn't coated and she doesn't have a fever," without ever addressing that Mimic is TRANSLUCENT.  I can only think this was some misunderstanding between the animators and the script writers.  IIRC the most the other ponies say about her is she is "pale."  Pale??  Half of her is gone!  Opacity at 50% and falling!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 01:44:36 PM »
Yeah, for being an episode based around Mimic . . . that story didn't have much Mimic in it.

To me the funniest part is Megan going "Huh, her tongue isn't coated and she doesn't have a fever," without ever addressing that Mimic is TRANSLUCENT.  I can only think this was some misunderstanding between the animators and the script writers.  IIRC the most the other ponies say about her is she is "pale."  Pale??  Half of her is gone!  Opacity at 50% and falling!

Pale indeed. I'd say she was looking a bit ghostly.  :silly: :bolt:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal