collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: HQG1C?  (Read 77283 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: HQG1C?
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2018, 03:33:04 PM »
When the Narnia movies started coming out, the movie studio (don't remember which one it was) actually did go after someone who was selling a MLP custom based on the White Witch.

I'm sorry for the customizer but this is so oddly specific and made me laugh.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2018, 03:43:42 PM »
It was really weird!  They relisted the pony as "Snowy queen pony" or something, with all Narnia mentions removed, and then the movie studio left them alone.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2018, 03:49:52 PM »
When the Narnia movies started coming out, the movie studio (don't remember which one it was) actually did go after someone who was selling a MLP custom based on the White Witch.

I'm sorry for the customizer but this is so oddly specific and made me laugh.

omg, of ALL the things to go after, they went after that?!? XD I mean, not to sound like I'm dissing the customizer (I'm not) but how the heck would a custom MLP be a threat to the filmmakers?! XD If it was a bootleg of something they were selling (i.e. actual merch), I'd understand it, but.. seriously? haha
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2018, 04:02:34 PM »
Marvel used to send cease-and-desists to people offering (free) skins of Spider-Man etc for The Sims, which always struck me as petty.  It's not like Marvel had any similar games . . . (This was in the 90s, I don't know if they still do that.  Hopefully they've mellowed since then!)

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2018, 05:57:45 PM »
The same level of legality as the Bubbles pose unicorn fakie or Crumpet fakies or things like that.  :)  Hasbro is pretty lenient with fan projects as long as they don't make themselves impossible to ignore (like the Mane6 "Fighting Is Magic" video game, where they stupidly entered a major video game convention) or damage their brand (like that really gross Princess Celestia Tumblr, ugh) or have the exact same name as a real pony (like that Mattel Bumblebee superhero doll, where Hasbro sued them because they have a Transformer named Bumblebee).

Like, to give some idea, there are over a dozen third party Transformers companies, and by "third party" I mean they are unlicensed but are busy making perfectly show-accurate Transformers characters.  Some of the robots are even . . .

G1 style HOT SOLDIERS, lol.  Whew, for a minute I thought that was Soundwave and Laserbeak!  What a relief to realize it's Soundtrack and Laser Bird.  :P

I have never heard of Hasbro going after a third party TF company, and they would be a looot easier targets.

didn't know hasbro went after Mattel for the BumbleBee superhero, since its the DC line and there's a hero named bumblebee in it and last i knew the TF Bumblebee wasn't a sassy crime fighting size changing chick XD
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2018, 06:05:07 PM »
The funny thing is that Bumblebee-the-superhero debuted BEFORE Bumblebee-the-robot.

However, Hasbro trademarked the name first to apply to a toy . . . ?  Or something . . . ?  It seemed very legally silly to me.

Heeeey, how about some moooore pony pics?

When I think about Christmas, I think about how the tree looks at night when all the other lights are turned off.  Dark, twinkling, and mysterious . . . I tried to capture that mood with Dasher.  :)

Baby Tiptop with her favorite toy!

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2018, 12:18:46 AM »
Oh man, I didn't see this post until now! What a fun topic! ^_^ I need to take more photos of my mystery babies! (And I need a stack-toy to photograph them with, that's so cute LadyMoondancer!!)
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2018, 07:09:01 PM »
I usually keep my ponies in hiding, but I brought Dream Castle and these guys out of storage to meet Dasher!

Offline Raindrop

• Trade Count: (+299)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2018, 08:13:13 PM »
It is fun to see everyone's pictures of their HQG1C ponies.  I have several myself and admit to having preordered one of the valentine ponies.

There has been a lot of discussion of the price.  These are more expensive to collect than common MLP of any generation, and I know this is a frustration.  The difficulty is that a small contracted factory run of a product is more expensive than large-scale production by an established major corporation.  A significant component of the cost is creating the molds, which costs thousands of dollars independent of other production costs (I know because I researched this myself at one point).  If you are ordering 400,000 Pinkie Pies this cost can be spread out much more and individual items priced more cheaply than if you are ordering 500 Genies.  G1-size ponies are also larger than G4 and have more hair, which I suspect adds to the cost (the $10 cost of the Bridge Direct/Basic Fun anniversary ponies in the U.S. is probably pretty typical for a larger scale production of something like a G1 pony today; remember that the roughly $5 we remember paying for a basic MLP back in the 80's in the U.S. is equivalent to much more in today's dollars). 

I have to say that I have been very happy with the quality of my HQG1C ponies.  I personally don't mind that they are not official MLP, and I appreciate that those steering the project have chosen designs close to the style and spirit of G1.  Baby Glitter Wishes is one of my favorite ponies!

As for the copyright issue, I hope Hasbro leaves the project alone.  Does it violate copyright?  I think it does.  That does raise ethical questions.  But I don't think Hasbro will ever be interested in anything like what HQG1C is doing.  The project is extremely small in comparison with Hasbro's market, I doubt it is generating much (if any) profit at this point, and the customs are not significantly competitive with current toy lines.  I think Hasbro is much more harmed by the dollar-store knockoff brands that imitate current Hasbro molds and steal G4 artwork.

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2018, 08:58:59 PM »
I have this one and I dont know why the picture is formated weird.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2018, 03:00:49 AM »
I think my one concern with the project, if I have one, is that, knowing that a pony was probably sacrificed to create the moulds used, it bothers me a little that the baby/newborn pose must have been Baby Bouncy surprise newborn. She's the only one to have that pose, and she's quite a rare pony in contrast to most of the other newborns. That does twitch at me slightly...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2018, 07:56:19 AM »
I think my one concern with the project, if I have one, is that, knowing that a pony was probably sacrificed to create the moulds used

If I remember correctly, I don't think a pony was destroyed.  At least, not in later cases as the project was requesting baits (most likely because hair probably would be ruined) and they said the pony would survive the process!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2018, 08:08:03 AM »
The ponies aren't actually destroyed to make the molds.  Though I believe they must be hairless.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2018, 10:33:33 AM »
The ponies aren't actually destroyed to make the molds.  Though I believe they must be hairless.

I think I mentioned it before but I like hair. So to me that would count as destroyed ;) I guess that it just troubles me slightly that it was that pony. She's the only one to have that pose and she's not common...of all the newborns to choose...unless she was so fiendishly wrecked in terms of marks as well. I dunno...

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2018, 11:15:02 AM »

I think I mentioned it before but I like hair. So to me that would count as destroyed ;) I guess that it just troubles me slightly that it was that pony. She's the only one to have that pose and she's not common...of all the newborns to choose...unless she was so fiendishly wrecked in terms of marks as well. I dunno...

Well, you could think of it this way:  because of that one pony's sacrifice customizers have a lot better option for customs in that pose and it might save many vintage ponies in the future.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal