collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sun fading, how does it work?  (Read 717 times)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Sun fading, how does it work?
« on: February 18, 2017, 08:31:39 AM »
Does anyone know how sun fading works on yellow discolouration? It's so odd that it works on some characters and makes other characters even worse!

I know one theory of how the discolouration comes about (bromine used as a fire retardant) but the fact that the effects of UV can have such different results on discolouration is very interesting.  And frustrating of course!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
Re: Sun fading, how does it work?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 12:15:02 PM »
It would be great to predict what will happen to a certain off-white pony and whether it would turn white or go creamy - I have a couple that need lightening... but am a bit worried that they will go tan!

I do also have a Gusty that faded beautifully to a bright white after an oxy-wash and sitting on the windowsill for a few weeks  :biggrin:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline MangleCrafter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • One word: Firefly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 01:20:31 AM »
I'm honestly scared of any sun touching my ponies. Especially Majesty, since she is displayed in my balcony along with her castle. When i fade ponies, i usually like the hydrogen peroxide method. It makes the hair rough and nasty, but nothing a little conditioner and shampoo can't fix. This thread will help on who you shouldn't sunfade:
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,336125.0.html

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 10:40:00 AM »
I feel he same way, I try to buy them in good shape and then keep them out of the sun. My Majesty has hardly seen the light of day so her head is still a bright white. I have a blanket over my cabinet most of the time.

I've done it on a few occasions on safe ponies but not for more than a few days. It can freshen up a dingy pony I find it's great on the blue ones as well like Wind Whistler. But I'm really looking for the scientific explanation.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 02:31:20 PM »
its the same reason why the sun makes my hair go blonde :P (im usualy light brown/auburn in winter) and a lot of others.
its like bleach and can also brake down things and rot stuff like carpet, cloths etc. UV rays.
 Sun fading is much better here as we are lacking an ozone layer and bad pollution, i once whitened a brown birthflower pony one day in winter, i was very shocked but it happened.

oh yeah and also the perfume scented ponies can go browner like with the flame-retardant. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 02:33:16 PM by shabbychicdee »

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 07:06:59 PM »
Sun fading is much better here as we are lacking an ozone layer and bad pollution, i once whitened a brown birthflower pony one day in winter, i was very shocked but it happened.

OMG - so sunny - does that make you think about having to wear suncream in winter??

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 09:36:50 AM »
I'm honestly scared of any sun touching my ponies. Especially Majesty, since she is displayed in my balcony along with her castle. When i fade ponies, i usually like the hydrogen peroxide method. It makes the hair rough and nasty, but nothing a little conditioner and shampoo can't fix. This thread will help on who you shouldn't sunfade:
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,336125.0.html

Thank you!!x

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal