collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: You can do what you want, it's your collection.  (Read 802 times)

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
You can do what you want, it's your collection.
« on: December 12, 2016, 12:32:12 PM »
One of my friends said this to me the other day. I've been considering some changes in the pony collective, and I was trying to use her as a sounding board. I'm thinking of selling part of my collection, which my mother and I have spent years collecting. My mother passed away last year, which has made me look at the ponies a little differently. (I've always considered it mine and Mom's collection.)
RIGHT AFTER my friend said "it's your collection, you can do what you want with it," she asked which pony it was she had given me, and then hunted for her on the shelves. We talked about the ponies she still had with her, and it was a good visit.

BUT....

She didn't mean it to mess with me that way, I'm sure of it, but later when I was thinking about her words, I realized that she's not completely right. What if she had come in and asked where Sugar Sweet was, but I had sold her? She gave her to me at least fifteen years ago, part of her childhood collection. I am thrilled to have Sugar Sweet in my collection, and I know my friend will never ask for her back, but I didn't really think about all the implications that such a gift comes with.

Has anyone else had thoughts like this, or a situation like this? I've been pondering big collection thoughts for about a year now, and I feel like there's more to ponder...
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Re: You can do what you want, it's your collection.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 12:44:20 PM »
I'm selling mine off st Christmas when I have two weeks to sit and list them in ebay. A few years ago I sold all my Breyers except for maybe 20, when before they took up a whole bedroom. I picked my favorites that had been gifts from my family. I think the important thing is if you need to sell them or wish to sell them maybe pick out those special ones and send the rest off.  You don't have to have a massive collection to still enjoy ponies. I told myself I'll keep one China cabinets worth and the rest have to go. I've just reached a point in my life where collecting is as affordable to me or a big priority. Most times I do busy I won't even pick up a pony for a month.

I had planned a pony room since they do make me happy,  but I've been turning the spare bedrooms into a room for my rats and one for my ferret (and eventual more ferrets). In my position unfortunately I don't have an income that allows a lo of extra and have decided to put that towards my creatures and making them happy because they make me happy.

It doesn't mean I'm selling all my ponies or that I won't buy some every once in a while. It's just be y different than my old way of collecting.

You must decide what is best for you and your situation. I wish you luck. If it helps at all when talking with my girlfriend I did tell her I was keeping certain ones she got me that were special, so possibly do the same?
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 12:51:03 PM »
Right now, I'm only planning to sell about 40 of them, the UK ones that I have just to check off the spot on the list. It's not even all of the UK ones. I have no reason or desire to get rid of most of my ponies, I still love them- I love to pick them up and comb them and stare at them, but the 40 or so just never have gotten the love they should get. And if I pick up one of the 40 and don't really feel like selling her, then I don't.

Ferrets are fun, Maddie. We had a few when I was little. Good luck with your ferret room!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 05:34:47 PM »
Definitely complicated. In our family my sister and I collected ponies together. So where the main collection is concerned, if its the first of a particular pony we got, it has to stay. Sister's rule. Even if I would like to part with some of them. I generally remember where a lot of my ponies came from - carboot, childhood friend, trading. Sometimes even the trade partners. I think it is ultimately up to you to decide what to do with your ponies, but you have to just be happy with whatever that decision is. If you can let them go without regretting it then it's fine to sell them. But the ones you'll probably find harder to part with are the ones that have memories attached.

I have a pair of cut mane twins, Rattles and Tattles that stowed away in a trade box from America years ago. I didn't have them at the time and my trade partner sent them to me as a surprise. I still have them although I lost touch with her, because that memory makes me smile. I also have a Cupcake a friend in Singapore deflocked. He sent her to me to look after and thus I wouldn't get rid of her.

One of my childhood friends gave me all of her ponies when she moved. I consider them my childhood ponies because I played with them with her so much and we always did sleepovers when we'd trade a pony for the night. I am so privileged to have them and I love them dearly. Her mama Tic Tac Toe was always mother to my Baby one, and having any other Tic Tac Toe would be not the same. I think ponies like that which have memories are different. And if you were going to sell one, I think asking the friend's opinion would also be a possibility. I mean, you don't have to, but considering the memories, I think it would be nice to do.

But sometimes I look at the doubles I bought when I couldn't get to my sister's ponies to photograph and I think whether I really want them or need them or whether they would be better loved somewhere else.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 05:37:20 PM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 08:12:39 PM »
I only get rid of special gifts if keeping them out cause further harm, otherwise gifts will always stay with me.

For example I had some non-pony collectibles that were literally falling apart before my eyes. Common well known errors now, but when they were purchased no one knew this could ever happen. It was so heartbreaking I couldn't watch it happen to them because of how special they were... I traded them for other special collectibles (same type, different brand that can't develop similar issues) to keep with the spirit of the gift. I don't think the gifters would mind at all but there's no reason to tell them and they wouldn't ask.

I took a similar approach to G4 gifts once they developed head/body mismatch. I couldn't stand to see them degrading like that so fast. Since they weren't as special I wasn't as strict, but I did use the money to buy some ponies/dolls I cherish. The difference is that the people who bought the G4s know what happened and are okay with it, since they were "breaking".

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 08:13:28 PM »
First off, :hugs: about your mom. 

Second, I've had that thought, too.  Right now, my plan has been that I'm willing to sell ponies that I've bought, myself.  Any ponies from eBay/the Arena, thrift stores and the like.  But, ponies that were gifts from my mom, etc, are sentimental and therefore, I keep them.

That said, I don't know what I'd do if I inherited a collection.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 09:54:26 PM »
Firstly, I'm terribly sorry for your loss. I couldn't ever imagine losing somebody close, much less a family member.

Secondly...if you do decide to part with those your mother gave to you, I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands. I consider you a friend and I also think it might be easier knowing that somebody you know has them, also somebody who lives close by if you need to visit them ever.
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 05:14:03 AM »
It's not an easy decision to make. Among my ponies are two of my friends' childhood collections. If need be, I wouldn't have a problem parting with some of the ponies that used to belong to friend A, as she never had much of an emotional connection to them (she kept those few that were precious to her) and if I hadn't taken them, she'd probably have thrown them away. It's rather more difficult with the ponies from friend B, who passed away more than a decade ago (her grandmother gave the ponies to me later), as I still remember playing with the ponies and my friend, and it all gets rather emotional. I expect it's the same for the ponies you collected with your mum. That said, I did have to give away some of friend B's ponies a few years ago. I made sure they went to very good homes of other Arena members, so I didn't feel too bad about it.

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 07:01:57 AM »
I totally get what you are saying. Any pony that is given to me that is known to be part of someone's childhood herd, they are placed on a specific shelf. I feel like I am always prepared to give them back if ever asked. Not because it is expected, but because my childhood ponies were sold at a yard sale, and so I know that pain of not being able to retrieve them.

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 08:25:03 AM »
Of course it's your collection, and of course you can do whatever you want with it, but in many cases feelings will get hurt. So even though it's true, I think it only applies to people who can resist other people's feelings (I'm not one of those people). :P

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 10:35:36 AM »
People can be very sensitive about what they gave in a gift or swap. That said, they need to understand that a true gift has no strings. It's your collection to do with as you please. I would make sure that any resold customs are offered to the makers to buy back first and that the makers are stated clearly if resold. I'm always resorting and selling bit by bit myself. I like to make sure I'm not keeping any that I don't actually like. My daughter collects with me now and knows they are hers if I pass or become incompetent. I've let her know that at that time she needs to do what she wants to do with them. I've also let her know in writing which few I'd like her to keep until I pass if I'm incompetent first.

Take your time and do what is best for you. :)

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 11:42:48 AM »
I kind of know how that feels. My sister had bought me a lot of my ponies that I ended up having to sell. I still feel really bad. There was also a G4 Pinkie Pie that my mom got me for my birthday one year and I sold that as well. It still haunts me because that year she didn't have a lot of money but could afford a 5 dollar pony. She also drew me a handmade pony birthday card. I actually found the card again a few months after she passed and it made me SO happy but I wish I had the pony too. It sucks. But it is your collection. Do what you gotta do. I miss my things but I still have my sister. I'm sorry to hear about your mom. Losing your mom is SO hard.

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 12:05:06 PM »
You guys are so sweet! I keep trying to explain this to other people, non-pony collectors,  and they don't completely get it. It's not even like I'm planning on getting rid of a lot of ponies, I'm just trying to be able to fit everyone into the pony room!
Thank you for all the kind thoughts, and Sapphire, I'll keep your offer in mind!

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 05:37:53 PM »
She's right.  :)  If you decided to sell that one in particular, I suppose you could ask her if that would bother her.  I know that's not exactly what you mean though.  I'm always giving away or donating gifts that I can't use.  It's not that I don't appreciate it, but my house is not quite 900 sq feet.  I can't keep everything, it's just not practical.  I'm also a believer in holding onto things that make you feel happy, not weighed down.

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 11:54:09 PM »
Sorry to hear about your mum, I'm another from that club, it really sucks. For me, ponies that are gifted tend to pull at my heartstrings, so I keep them, but I've also been gifted ponies from lines I don't collect, so I know how you feel. I think I appreciate the gift element of the pony more-so than the pony itself, so they often become travel-buddies, or are displayed apart from the core of my collection, tying ponies into the other parts of our home, with other unique ponies, like my customs. It also means that if the person who gifted it is a friend or family member, they see it fairly often and know I treasure it. Sometimes I'll take up collecting a new line because of a gift though. It really depends on what it is. Thankfully I've never been 'given' a collection, or a childhood pony, so I haven't got anyone potentially wanting ponies back, that would be hard, I think. I'd probably treat them like my own childhood ponies, where I have a display duplicate, but that's only because my childhood ponies were very well-loved, and I'd hate for them to deteriorate any further, so they're 'kept safe', unless I'm feeling particularly nostalgic.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal