collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Thrift Store G1 Bow Tie  (Read 2216 times)

kaminarikoneko

• Trade Count: (0)
Thrift Store G1 Bow Tie
« on: December 05, 2016, 11:00:45 PM »
I don't collect mlps, but I saw this pony at thift store, today. This was my first seeing my little pony at the thift store. She was only $0.59 with a rats nest of a tail that was where the price was attached. I combed out the rats nest. Any advice on cleaning her? She has a fizzy tail, and something rattling around inside her, which I suspect her tail washer. She also to two small brown spots(cancer?).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
Re: Thrift Store G1 Bow Tie
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 11:40:11 AM »
Aww, yay, you rescued Bow Tie :) You can wash her with water and dish soap, then, after rinsing that off, add conditioner to her wet hair and comb it out to get it straight as possible (I use a plastic Barbie brush to comb out my ponies' conditioned hair, but you can use anything). Leave the conditioner in the pony's hair for a while and meanwhile give her a gentle scrub with baking soda (that's my preferred method) to get any remaining surface dirt or marks off. Then rinse the pony, making sure to rinse the conditioner completely out, pat her as dry as possible, and then let her air dry. She'll be a lot cleaner, but her hair will probably still be frizzy. There are methods for reducing frizz, but I've never used them and someone else here will know more about that.

Once she's completely dry (if you live in a humid climate, this might take a day or two), you can try to gently remove her head and take out the rattling washer. Early ponies like Bow Tie generally have easy heads to remove. Others here will also have some good cleaning tips. Good luck!

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 11:44:56 AM »
Congrats on finding a G1 pony 'in the wild'.  Haruna has given you some awesome advice on how to clean her up!  There are also threads in the Pony Corral for further advice if you find more ponies in the future.  Congrats again on your find :frolic:

Offline buttonso

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 12:47:16 PM »
Congrats on your find! She will clean up nicely :D

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 08:01:55 PM »
Congrats! I'm so happy you rescued her, Bow Tie is such a sweet pony. The Corral always has lots of great restoration and cleaning tips, but you should also check out the Preservation Project if you haven't already; one of our members put it together, and it's a great resource!

http://www.mlppreservationproject.com

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 02:42:07 AM »
Congrats! Finding G1s in thrift shops is very rare whatever condition they're in!

kaminarikoneko

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 12:55:54 AM »
Aww, yay, you rescued Bow Tie :) You can wash her with water and dish soap, then, after rinsing that off, add conditioner to her wet hair and comb it out to get it straight as possible (I use a plastic Barbie brush to comb out my ponies' conditioned hair, but you can use anything). Leave the conditioner in the pony's hair for a while and meanwhile give her a gentle scrub with baking soda (that's my preferred method) to get any remaining surface dirt or marks off. Then rinse the pony, making sure to rinse the conditioner completely out, pat her as dry as possible, and then let her air dry. She'll be a lot cleaner, but her hair will probably still be frizzy. There are methods for reducing frizz, but I've never used them and someone else here will know more about that.

Once she's completely dry (if you live in a humid climate, this might take a day or two), you can try to gently remove her head and take out the rattling washer. Early ponies like Bow Tie generally have easy heads to remove. Others here will also have some good cleaning tips. Good luck!

Thank for advice, I took her head off earlier because I got dish soap in her. Also, I discovered that she had mildrew inside of her, most of came off when I took off her head, and the rest came off after I soaked her in vinegar. The good thing was the loose washer had no rust on it.

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 06:43:07 AM »
She looks like she will clean up nicely. 59 cents is a steal! Congrats on your find (even if you don't collect MLP lol)

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 06:55:02 PM »
Thank for advice, I took her head off earlier because I got dish soap in her. Also, I discovered that she had mildrew inside of her, most of came off when I took off her head, and the rest came off after I soaked her in vinegar. The good thing was the loose washer had no rust on it.
Oh, good that she had no rust! That can be a pain to clean. And good that you discovered the mildew. She'll be all clean and pretty now!  ^.^

kaminarikoneko

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 08:43:07 PM »
Update: I finished cleaning her up and putting her together, tonight. Now, I need to get the only piece of pony wear that I have which is not here. I boiled wash and trimmed her tail and added a new ribbon to accent her purple eyes. Also, I put a bell on the bow.

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 08:49:58 PM »
Update: I finished cleaning her up and putting her together, tonight. Now, I need to get the only piece of pony wear that I have which is not here. I boiled wash and trimmed her tail and added a new ribbon to accent her purple eyes. Also, I put a bell on the bow.

She doesn't look bad at all! My Bow Tie has the same kind of brown spots that yours has, so maybe it's just something that a lot of blue ponies get (?). The mane and tail look really good, nice job giving her a second life. ;)

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 09:56:34 PM »

She cleaned up nicely. Such a pretty girl too you lucky thing.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Tracks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 01:56:53 AM »
Fab find and hasn't she cleaned up well?!!! :D

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 02:09:31 AM »
What a great find and well done on restoring her - she looks so pretty  :lovey:

It's so satisfying when you get to put the final finishing-touch ribbon on the tail.

Now... have you caught the restoration bug? Will you be on the look-out for more ponies to revive? It's addictive!  :lol:

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 07:57:57 PM »
What a great find and well done on restoring her - she looks so pretty  :lovey:

It's so satisfying when you get to put the final finishing-touch ribbon on the tail.

Now... have you caught the restoration bug? Will you be on the look-out for more ponies to revive? It's addictive!  :lol:

Ya think?! I'm so addicted, i go to every flea market and thrift store that i can find!!  :biggrin:

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal