collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Interesting variants I picked up accidently  (Read 1429 times)

Offline NinaMarie

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+77)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • NinaMarieCrochet - Cute & Floral Crochet Accessories
Interesting variants I picked up accidently
« on: October 23, 2016, 10:08:44 AM »
I have 3 sparkle pony Sunspots that I have acquired from various sources. I'm not really big on the sparkle ponies so I've been preparing to sell these. While photographing them I discovered they are ALL different! I feel like I've heard somewhere it is common for sparkle ponies to have subtle variants but not sure where I got that info. Any way I thought I'd share my discovery for anyone else who interested in this kind of thing to see and discuss.

Here is A (green yarn) and B
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A's hair instead of being just faded white actually seems more golden or maybe it's just yellowed. She has gold tinsel in mane and tail.
B's hair is faded white with her tail still having pink in it. However her mane tinsel appears to be silver while her tail tinsel is gold.
Their symbols are noticeably different in color and smiley face placement.

Here is C who has the pinkest hair

And C appears to have silver tinsel in both mane and tail

All three together

This probably is something not too uncommon and perhaps the tinsel is faded not factory error? It just amused me that I had 3 of the same pony and they were all different!

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting variants I picked up accidently
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 11:22:46 AM »
Oooh, this topic is always fun. :)

I was told it's because the tinsel has faded..and yes it's not too uncommon.

Thanks for sharing! Love the sparkles! :D

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 11:50:09 AM »
I don't believe it's fading (other than the hair's pink, which is) - I've seen the same thing crop up time and time again for Sunspot and (a bit less commonly) Napper - both of which have either silver or gold tinsel, in some combination.  If it was fading, you'd expect to see gold left in the root of the tail where the light doesn't reach for the silver tailed ones or only the mane tinsel fading since it's less covered.  Instead both ponies seem to show up regularly with tinsel colour in four variants - gold/gold, silver/sliver, silver/gold and gold/silver.  You can often spot batch differences between them as well - such as your A and B, B has a much darker yellow sun paint.

Sparkle ponies that have been exposed to heavy UV are usually obvious - they tend to acquire a brown tinge / be off-coloured to their original look.

Oh, and another point against tinsel fading - you'd expect to see the same thing in princess ponies / other sets that have tinsel.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Mareacooda

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 07:55:44 PM »
See the different Variation of Sunspot is one the reason I have multi of same ponies because some differents....

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 03:43:54 PM »
I am a long way from my ponies so may be remembering wrongly, but I thought they had gold on one side of the tinsel and silver on the other on some ponies? I think it's Napper I'm mostly referencing here, but not sure, maybe Sunspot too? Definitely seen ones with mismatching mane and tail tinsel though.

This set has discolouration issues through plastic decay and fading so all other actual variations between them often get blurred in with those flaws. There are definitely minor differences in colour of batches, in glitter and plastic density and also symbol print with some of them, though. And the tinsel thing is definitely a thing, not fading...although that doesn't rule out that faded ones might also exist...sigh.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 09:28:29 AM »
I have two different versions of Sunspot - one with silver tinsel in both her mane & tail, the other with silver tinsel in her mane but gold in her tail.  :lol:

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline NinaMarie

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+77)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • NinaMarieCrochet - Cute & Floral Crochet Accessories
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 01:17:22 PM »
If I was a bigger fan of sparkle ponies I'd be loving have these gals on display but I just don't like that the plastic seems to break down more on this line.

RainbowQuartz

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 02:56:03 PM »
There are two Sunspots in my house. Mine is gold mane/gold tail and my daughter's is silver mane/silver tail iirc. Maybe her's has one gold one silver. I'll have to check. I prefer the gold, personally.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal