collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: customs - cutie marks  (Read 1249 times)

cannibalism

• Trade Count: (0)
customs - cutie marks
« on: September 20, 2016, 11:36:10 PM »
hey guys, kevin here! I'm looking around for the cleanest way to apply a cutie mark. i don't like the texture of acrylic paint on the flanks of the plastic, (at least the ones i end up making) i'm looking for a really clean way to apply. if even possible, i'd be interested in obtaining..stamps?? is that how they do it??
what are some methods you use to make your eyes and cutie marks extra crisp? im going for the natural made-that-way look.

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
Re: customs - cutie marks
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 11:53:55 PM »
It is possible to use stamps, but you would still have to find a medium like acrylic that won't bleed into the plastic and can be properly stealed.

It is possible that you are just applying too thick of a coat. I often made this mistake in the beginning, and still do from time to time. It is frustrating to wait for drying times and to do multiple coats, but that is the only way I've found to make it work.

As far as eyes, I find it helps to preserve as much of the original as possible to help make it look as Hasbro as possible.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 11:55:35 PM by aintnobuffalo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig by Corona
Wish List

cannibalism

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 12:09:08 AM »
It is possible to use stamps, but you would still have to find a medium like acrylic that won't bleed into the plastic and can be properly stealed.

It is possible that you are just applying too thick of a coat. I often made this mistake in the beginning, and still do from time to time. It is frustrating to wait for drying times and to do multiple coats, but that is the only way I've found to make it work.

As far as eyes, I find it helps to preserve as much of the original as possible to help make it look as Hasbro as possible.

okay. thanks, i try to apply thin coats as much as i can but it can , im sure you know , still be hard to get the desired look . it might be worth investing in a stamp, say for my ponysona, since i'd be using it the most.

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 02:02:20 AM »
It may just be the brand of paint, It took me a while to find something that applies smoothly, i use folkart.. and even then, occasionally those arnt smooth either, so i have different prefered brands for different colors, xD paints can be very annoying!

As for other methods, I dont have much advice unfortunately. But I hope you find something that works for you. :)
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 02:03:19 AM »
You might want to look into water-slide decals! You can buy sheets to feed into your printer at home, and print a custom design! It's sort of like those temporary tattoos you use on yourself, but if you seal them properly, they can look very nice on a custom! :) It's just a little difficult to get the hang of, so I've heard, since a pony has so many curved surfaces to contend with. I haven't tried any myself, but it sounds like it might be the type of thing you'd enjoy! And if it doesn't go on right or it starts peeling, you can usually remove it pretty easily, from what I hear!

Another option - stencils made out of painter's tape! I've been experimenting with those (I got a paper puncher and wanted to make a stencil out of it!), and although they're tough to figure out/make look non-blobby, the results are pretty nice! I mean, right now it's sort of a 50% chance something will turn out blobby or not, but it's much easier to repaint than trying to freehand a dozen tiny stars? ^^
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

cannibalism

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 02:12:25 AM »
You might want to look into water-slide decals! You can buy sheets to feed into your printer at home, and print a custom design! It's sort of like those temporary tattoos you use on yourself, but if you seal them properly, they can look very nice on a custom! :) It's just a little difficult to get the hang of, so I've heard, since a pony has so many curved surfaces to contend with. I haven't tried any myself, but it sounds like it might be the type of thing you'd enjoy! And if it doesn't go on right or it starts peeling, you can usually remove it pretty easily, from what I hear!

Another option - stencils made out of painter's tape! I've been experimenting with those (I got a paper puncher and wanted to make a stencil out of it!), and although they're tough to figure out/make look non-blobby, the results are pretty nice! I mean, right now it's sort of a 50% chance something will turn out blobby or not, but it's much easier to repaint than trying to freehand a dozen tiny stars? ^^

really interesting idea- ill have to look into the tattoo paper!! and i agree, the painters tape does sound really helpful for simple repetitive shapes like stars or hearts.

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 11:01:04 AM »
You can buy stencils for air brushes for symbols like hearts and stars. Ive been looking for one for blossoms flower.

Offline MissGodiva

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • Message me on FB at Miss.GodivaPonyCustoms
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 02:05:36 PM »
What about the silicone stamps for nail art? I've thought about that myself. U can find great nail design stencils to go with them different places. U could plausibly use nail Polish with this method.
:awake:
MissGodiva
m.me/Miss.GodivaPonyCustoms
[/font]

cannibalism

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 06:05:29 PM »
What about the silicone stamps for nail art? I've thought about that myself. U can find great nail design stencils to go with them different places. U could plausibly use nail Polish with this method.

ive never even heard of this item before! interesting. it looks good for things like swirls and flowers, but not really the image i'm looking for. though there are some diy ones? i'll look into it, thank you!

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 01:17:08 PM »
Don't use actual nail polish though.  It's not made to be permanent and can turn yellow and peel off. 

Offline Darkhorse

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Customizing Crazzzyyynesssss
    • View Profile
    • www.darkhorsecustommylittleponies.com
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 03:15:49 PM »
I use acrylics all the time....and my emblems are pretty thick but they look kind of like a decal once I'm done....the secret is the clear you use :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal