collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Tips for moving with dolls?  (Read 658 times)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
Tips for moving with dolls?
« on: April 19, 2016, 02:37:25 PM »
I found out recently that we're going to be moving very very soon. We're staying in the same city and the place we're interested in right now is like, 5-10m away at the absolute max. It would be a big waste of money (and time, during and after >.>) to pack everything up tight, especially with dolls who'd need all their hair redone after the horrendous 5min journey. My vintage girls will be held individually but there's no way we'll make enough trips for that to work with everyone.

I have a LOT of typical 12in playline size, like Monster High and Liv, but I also have a bunch of other weirder sizes too, like Pullips, Cutie Pops, Lalaloopsy, Moxie Teenz, and some 16-18in dolls of various types. I either have like, 20 or 1 from a specific line so that makes it a little harder too because of all the variety. I want to do the least damage to their hair possible, because I don't have the time/energy/desire to redo the hair of... way more dolls than I want to admit to owning, lol.

Bonus points if the solution works for ponies too! I just did all my G3s hair a few months back and I do NOT want to go through that again x.x
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for moving with dolls?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 04:36:16 PM »
Wrap in tissue and layer head to toe in the box with bubble wrap between each layer. For the larger and more fragile bubble wrap each after the tissue as well. Also make sure no fragile ones are on the edges of the boxes.

Offline Squirrelypaws

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 05:00:52 PM »
When I moved, I put plastic bags over the heads of all my ponies and dolls. That kept their hair pretty much in place, plus kept their faces from getting smudged up while in close contact with other dolls/ponies.

To get the most out of a box/tote, I packed my MH dolls laying on their backs and put them so that each had their feet against their neighbor's plastic-covered head. Laying them out that way took up a lot less space than it would have if I'd packed them shoulder-to-shoulder.

The same thing can be done with ponies, though it's a bit trickier with G1/G3 because of the different poses.
**Formerly known as GryffindorHermione**
~*{Squirrely's Stuff For Sale}*~
Ponies ;; Dolls ;; Other Toys

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 06:04:40 AM »
If you can get your hands on some wine or other bottle boxes those would be great - you could just stand your dolls up in the little compartments and take them that way

Offline Hervoyel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toy Box Revenge
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 08:43:22 AM »
I've used scrap fabric + layer of dolls + fabric + layer of dolls inside of shoe boxes and plastic bins to box up smaller dolls. That works fairly securely - and I've found more so than wrapping in paper (the last time I moved, some of the dolls that were professionally packed the second way ended up damaged, but the ones with the fabric that I did myself were all fine).
Layer 1:

Layer 2:

And so on.

I move fairly long distances every couple of years, so I also try to keep all the original boxes for my bigger dolls, and then have those original boxes packed in larger cardboard boxes, so I'd put the dolls away like this:

And then put those boxes inside these:

Blog

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 10:09:56 AM »
The wine box is an excellent idea! I might have to talk the family into getting some of those little packs (what do you even call them?) of beer or soda so I can poach the boxes. Those would be a good size for the small dolls, I think.

And I didn't even think of the fabric. That's actually how I store my dolls in drawers right now, so it should definitely be fine for the ones with uncomplicated hair.

Offline Big_Brother_Bufftusk

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 03:33:18 PM »
If you can get your hands on some wine or other bottle boxes those would be great - you could just stand your dolls up in the little compartments and take them that way

I had to agree there that that is an AWESOME idea, I'll have to remember that for any quick moving for my Jems...really clever!

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 01:24:23 AM »
seconding the wine boxes and the fabric! :) just make sure the boxes are clean (especially if it's wine boxes - red wine is a nasty stainer of textile), and the fabric is not leaking its colour if it's dark. I know the new place is very close, so the dolls won't be touching the fabric for a long time, but better to be safe than sorry.
good luck with the move! :) it's one of my biggest "fears" to think of a moving when I think of my collections, so I feel your pain :D

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal