collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is Hasbro trying to phase out the pony-shaped toys?  (Read 2725 times)

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
Is Hasbro trying to phase out the pony-shaped toys?
« on: February 13, 2015, 04:34:42 PM »
I've just been to every local store that sells MLP products, looking for a specific pony for a commission. To my dismay, NONE of the stores have pony models! They only have the playsets, those weird little plastic ponies that you put together yourself, and a crapload of Equestria dolls (ew). Even the blind bags are disappearing around here.

Are they trying to phase out the pony figures that I know and love? Has anyone else noticed this happening?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
Re: Is Hasbro trying to phase out the pony-shaped toys?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 04:45:55 PM »
No, of course they aren't. The people who are responsible for what you see on the shelves are the stores. Hasbro is putting out pop ponies like you mention, which are pony shaped; giant sitting ponies with brushable hair; new fashion styles (including Sunset Shimmer and soon Coco Pommel); multiple lines of basic singles (including characters like Skywishes and Sweetie Drops); an upcoming TRU-exclusive set (presumably) with characters like Roseluck and Helia and Lavender Honey and Lotus Blossom; a full line of Styling Size ponies (including upcoming princesses); seven different water-filled snowglobe ponies (and three more on the way); three different winged ponies (and three more on the way); ponies that come packaged specifically with their EQG counterparts; larger packs like princesses with ponies, or Twilight/Fluttershy with breezies, or Rarity in a car; blind bags; character packs at the same scale as the blind bags (including a whole lot of Apple Family stuff coming later this year); Design-A-Pony toys, and of course practically every last bit of licensed merchandise there is. But the dolls take up more space and are more expensive, so you'll see more of them.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 04:48:07 PM by VioletCLM »

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 04:52:37 PM »
I don't know what they are thinking, but the shelves near me are pretty barren of actual ponies as well.  The dolls are everywhere, and the pop ponies, but brushables/playful are hard to find.  If I do find them, it's usually a whole row of Pinkie Pie, and nothing else.  My Mom went to look for something in the states before Christmas for me, and she was very confused.  She came back and said "Um, so there are no ponies in the my little pony sections."

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 05:34:15 PM »
It is the retailers who make the calls and Hasbro who respond to what is demanded. I do however agree that with the volume of directions and lines MLP currently has (blind bags and EQG and POP especially) it does feel as though the core line...ponies with brushable hair...is a little under appreciated.

However the key indicator that its not something Hasbro are giving up on is the way they define their lines. For Hasbro their core is those ponies; those are what they produce and sell to that late pre school (3 to 6 year old) market. That is also the demographic for the cartoon - this is the key spending part of the line. Everything else, all the other lines, are Hasbros attempt to capture older (POP and EQG) and younger (Playskool) markets that they have previously missed out on. As the years have passed age markets have narrowed. In the past MLP would have expected to cover perhaps up to 8 years old with the core line...thats not the case any more and therefore MLP has had to adapt and launch new products to ensure kids keep on wanting and parents keep on buying pony branded items. Unfortunately in this process it means we see more lines and perhaps a little less of each of them because instead of being able to finance one giant line they are working across multiple.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline RavenFeather

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 06:02:36 PM »
Also have to remember we're facing more competition in who wants the Ponies too. Up till this gen, it was just kids and collectors buying ponies, making it much easier to find them.  Now not only are kids and Collectors buying, but we have the bronies, new fans, and scalpers who are buying.  Scalpers have been a real problem in my walmart, they hit up Monster High, Ever After High, Hotwheels, DC Figures, Transformers, Frozen, and Ponies almost daily.  I can practically spot a scalper just by how often I see them coming in when we're doing freight and then bam, the new freight is just gone.

Also, Guys this is happening at my Walmart.  Somebody is returning Equestria Girls, Ever After High, and Monster High Dolls after removing all their accessories.  They take accessories, parts of the clothes, shoes, just a lot.  I've shown the people at customer service what to look for on returned dolls, every single one is missing shoes and the plastic ties holding the doll in place are broken, but they tape the box up in a way it looks like it's never been opened.
 Thanks Bronely!

Offline Shimmer Mist

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Also likes transforming plastic robots
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 06:55:29 AM »
Also have to remember we're facing more competition in who wants the Ponies too. Up till this gen, it was just kids and collectors buying ponies, making it much easier to find them.  Now not only are kids and Collectors buying, but we have the bronies, new fans, and scalpers who are buying.  Scalpers have been a real problem in my walmart, they hit up Monster High, Ever After High, Hotwheels, DC Figures, Transformers, Frozen, and Ponies almost daily.  I can practically spot a scalper just by how often I see them coming in when we're doing freight and then bam, the new freight is just gone.

Also, Guys this is happening at my Walmart.  Somebody is returning Equestria Girls, Ever After High, and Monster High Dolls after removing all their accessories.  They take accessories, parts of the clothes, shoes, just a lot.  I've shown the people at customer service what to look for on returned dolls, every single one is missing shoes and the plastic ties holding the doll in place are broken, but they tape the box up in a way it looks like it's never been opened.
D: Wow that person is a real jerk.... Perhaps you can inform customer service that there are objects missing from the box?

Sounds like what I've seen seen done with lots of TF figures, too. Someone will steal the head, the gun or even swap the ENTIRE toy with something that looks similar (or not at all) and return the whole thing. I've seen a few pictures where you could tell Customer Service/ Returns truly didn't care what was being returned. Like Bumblebee replaced with what was obviously and unpainted wooden car. Or Soundwave replaced with 3 tomatoes. Just who in their right mind would even think tomatoes would even be a good substitute to fill a toy package bubble?

Offline Dreamer

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 07:18:36 AM »

D: Wow that person is a real jerk.... Perhaps you can inform customer service that there are objects missing from the box?

Sounds like what I've seen seen done with lots of TF figures, too. Someone will steal the head, the gun or even swap the ENTIRE toy with something that looks similar (or not at all) and return the whole thing. I've seen a few pictures where you could tell Customer Service/ Returns truly didn't care what was being returned. Like Bumblebee replaced with what was obviously and unpainted wooden car. Or Soundwave replaced with 3 tomatoes. Just who in their right mind would even think tomatoes would even be a good substitute to fill a toy package bubble?

I'm really sorry that these things are happening, but I laughed so hard at the tomatoes  :lmao:

Offline QueenStarglow

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Glow 'N Show Queen
    • View Profile
    • The Glow 'N Show Stables
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 08:33:29 AM »

WOW! The nerve of some people.

Maybe if the toy companies released accessory and clothing sets separately like Barbie does and like Ponywear was sold, people would gobble those up. But companies are greedy... If you want something new you have to buy the whole doll you already have.

My Little Pony Blog: http://glownshowpony.tumblr.com | The Glow 'N Show Stables: http://glownshowpony.weebly.com
GnS Stables Sale thread G1-G4: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378506.0.html
MLP:FiM Gameloft friend code: f52c0

Offline RavenFeather

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 07:17:02 PM »

Admittedly I haven't seen ones that bad yet, but a Marvel Collector I've met a few times and have gotten to know pretty well (Cause I work in the Toy Department at Walmart), brought an Iron Man figure to my attention a few months ago.  Somebody had swapped out the Iron Man fig with a slightly smaller one.  It was almost convincing, they even tied him back in place, but the paint job was the wrong suit. *shakes head*
 Thanks Bronely!

Offline Shimmer Mist

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Also likes transforming plastic robots
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 07:40:43 PM »

I'm really sorry that these things are happening, but I laughed so hard at the tomatoes  :lmao:

Found the picture someone took of it

What's even better is that sometimes folks swap out new figures with older toys that are quite honestly better or even sought after. Which is weird but I'm guessing those are the folks who might not keep up with the collector scene.

Post Merge: February 14, 2015, 07:44:13 PM

WOW! The nerve of some people.

Maybe if the toy companies released accessory and clothing sets separately like Barbie does and like Ponywear was sold, people would gobble those up. But companies are greedy... If you want something new you have to buy the whole doll you already have.
It'd be a fun project to make my own (once I learn to sew) but I'd  buy the crap out of some G4 fashion style clothing, especially if it looked as awesome as outfits you get on dolls like Monster High. Grand Galloping Gala dresses would be amazing. Current pony "clothing" is little more than weird capes.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 07:44:13 PM by Shimmer Mist »

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters and 5Ds forever!
    • View Profile
    • Lucky Ladybug's Library
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 12:11:50 AM »
ROTFLOL, those tomatoes. Boggles my mind how that could get past even a bored Customer Service rep.

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 07:02:56 AM »
I haven't been able to find blind bags in quite a while, either. I was at a Walmart yesterday, and it was almost nothing but Pops! I wish the stores would stock more variety.

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 07:40:43 AM »
LOL at the tomatoes, and they were at the shelves?  :lol:

The main problem here is that most of the non-mane 6 are US store exclusive so you are screwed if you don't live in the US  >_<

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 08:02:40 AM »
I think the problem with blindbags is that they are quite easy to steal. I've seen tons of bags cut open with the ponies removed. It got so bad that virtually all the stores in the vincity stopped stocking them for a while, but eventually brought them back. That's probably why most stores opt out of carrying them.

Not sure about the lack of brushables, though.  :huh:
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 09:27:36 AM »
I have also seen lack of actual ponies lately.  If I do it's the same old rainbow rocks, tinsel hair ponies.  I also see tons of equestria girls too.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal