collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 Goodwill Finds  (Read 1376 times)

Offline PrincessGryph

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • The Want It Need It Spell... Works Every Time!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Gryph Customs for Sale!
G1 Goodwill Finds
« on: January 30, 2015, 04:36:26 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Spoiler

FINALLY got lucky at my local Goodwill and nabbed a big bag of G1s with some hair clips (are they official?) Also a couple non-MLP ponies and what I'm pretty sure is a G3.5 McDonalds Starsong. Some of them look like they got a makeover from a 4-year-old but I'm fairly certain they'll clean up easily. I don't generally collect G1s, so after a bath I'm probably gonna sell most of these guys. I might keep that Glory and maybe that Twilight tho. Anything really juicy in this batch?

I'm not really sure what to do with the flocked ponies. I've never done a deflocking, and I'm not sure which ones would be more valuable to keep flocked. And can I give them a bath to clean up their hair like I do a normal pony, or do I need to keep their bodies dry? I am also not sure if that dog thing is official or not. It doesn't say Hasbro on the foot, so I don't think it is.

UPDATE: Here's everypony all prettied up! More detailed pictures and final conditions in spoilers.

• Year 2 Glory
    Spoiler

Cleaned up beautifully. Hair is in wonderful condition, but there are some pink stains on the back of her neck and around the edge. There's one faint mark on the blush of her cheek.
  • Year 5 So Soft Twilight
    Spoiler

I only washed her hair, which is in good shape. I didn't take any chances cleaning any of her body since the flock on her is so spectacular. There are small bare spots on one side of her lip, one nostril, the tips of both ears, and a little bit around the edges of some of her feet. Otherwise, the wings are very nearly perfect. There is a scuff on the pupil of her left eye, and someone gave her a little lipstick, which I didn't risk cleaning off.
  • Year 7 Li'l Tot
    Spoiler

Hair and body are beautiful, but has a couple small stains on her face.
  • Year 6 Cuddles
    Spoiler

Mane and tail are a little bit frizzy, but otherwise great. Cutie mark is scratched up on one side, but other side is perfect. Despite damage, the magic message works on both sides!
  • Year 6 Princess Misty
    Spoiler

Body and hair is great. There's a little scuff on the gem on one side that I tried to take a picture of, but it may not have come out very well...
  • Year 7 Sparkle Star Hopper
    Spoiler

Hair and body are great with no visible marks
  • Year 7 Brilliant Bloom
    Spoiler

Mane and tail in great condition, and the tail mechanism is still in full working order. Has some pink stains on the back of her front leg and the back of her ear, and some very faint pink stains/discoloration on her back between her wings.
  • Year 4 So Soft Shady
    Spoiler

Hair has some slight frizz. Body doesn't seem to have any staining, but there are a lot of bare spots around the neck, upper lip, nostril ridges, eyebrows, tips of ears, around the edges of the feet and a little up a couple of the legs. Flocking does not appear to be in as good of condition over all the other 2 flocked ponies in this batch.
  • Year 4 So Soft Lofty
    Spoiler

Hair is a bit frizzy, and overall flocking looks better than Shady's. Does have some bare spots on nostrils, eyebrows, ear tips, upper lip, around the neck, wings, a little around the edges of feet. Has some lipstick I haven't tried to remove.
  • Year 5 Twice As Fancy Up, Up, & Away
    Spoiler

Body and hair are near perfect. No noticeable marks
  • Year 5 Twice As Fancy Dancing Butterflies
    Spoiler

Body and hair are near perfect. No noticeable marks
  • Lady Lovely Locks Silkypup
    Spoiler

Body and hair are in great condition, no noticeable marks. Collar is completely intact.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 08:07:30 PM by PrincessGryph »

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: G1 Goodwill Finds
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 04:59:05 PM »
Wow!  I haven't found a G1 at GoodWill in something like a decade!  Lucky!  You have a Lil'Tot there,  Can't give you a price check but I think she is a little rarer. 

The clips are not mlp.  I absolutely recognize the animal ones though as something I had in childhood.  Can't quit remember the toy line.  lady lovely locks, maybe?

The dog is not mlp, either.  I can't place it at all.

Offline PrincessGryph

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 05:06:52 PM »
Wow!  I haven't found a G1 at GoodWill in something like a decade!  Lucky!  You have a Lil'Tot there,  Can't give you a price check but I think she is a little rarer. 

The clips are not mlp.  I absolutely recognize the animal ones though as something I had in childhood.  Can't quit remember the toy line.  lady lovely locks, maybe?

The dog is not mlp, either.  I can't place it at all.

I saw Lil Tot while I was looking them up that she's a Mail Order. Definitely gonna have to clean her up and get a price check!

And you're right on the clips, it looks like those are Lady Lovely Locks (a little before my time). Apparently the dog is too: [live link removed ~ many thanks ~ hathorcat]
Says "TCFC INC. 1986" on the foot.
Thanks for the tip on that!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 09:14:16 AM by hathorcat »

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 05:08:53 PM »
The pink dog is Lady Lovely locks as are the animal clips.  Oh, yep- you found them.  Some of the animal clips are more rare than others and can be sought after by collectors although I have no clue if you stumbled upon any of those.

The So Soft pegasus Twilight is a little more rare so don't deflock her.   Looks like your Magic Message Cuddles' symbol is pretty good which can be somewhat tricky on that set. 

You found a nice bunch!

Offline PrincessGryph

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 05:15:25 PM »
The pink dog is Lady Lovely locks as are the animal clips.  Oh, yep- you found them.  Some of the animal clips are more rare than others and can be sought after by collectors although I have no clue if you stumbled upon any of those.

The So Soft pegasus Twilight is a little more rare so don't deflock her.   Looks like your Magic Message Cuddles' symbol is pretty good which can be somewhat tricky on that set. 

You found a nice bunch!

Cuddles' cutie mark on one side looks pretty good, but the other side is pretty scuffed. What's the deal with these Magid Message ponies? How do they work?

I also saw Brilliant Bloom is a Brush and Grow. Her tail was really short and I thought "Gosh, I hope no one cut it" so I pulled on it and - woop! Can I get it to go back in?

HeartLumi

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 05:16:46 PM »
 :biggrin: Wow congrats on your lucky finds !

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 05:28:29 PM »
I wouldn't deflock any of the So-Softs unless they're in ratty shape.  You can always trade someone else for "bad" So-Softs to deflock.  :)

And I wouldn't deflock Shady even if she is bad because there's already a NSS version of her that was sold internationally.   Why bother, you know?

Anyway, AMAZING haul!  Lucky lucky you!

You can get the Brush 'n Grows tail back in by twisting her head back and forth.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 05:29:43 PM »
Holy moly that Twilight has some pink hair! :dribble: You'll get a pretty penny for her with nice flocking and pink hair!

And just turn Brilliant Bloom's head back and forth and her tail should go back in if she's working properly :D
My Wish List

Offline Juliepants

• Crazy Pony Lady
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 05:34:41 PM »
Wow what a haul!! Congrats!!

Jules x

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 05:45:40 PM »
OMG, that SS Twilight!  Pink hair and good flocking!  *faints*

Congrats!

Offline PrincessGryph

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 06:12:18 PM »
Okay so if I'm not deflocking the So Softs... tips on washing their hair without messing up the flock? Also a couple of the flocked ponies look like they were given... lipstick makeovers. Any way to clean that off without messing them up?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 06:15:02 PM by PrincessGryph »

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 06:32:35 PM »
Cuddles' cutie mark on one side looks pretty good, but the other side is pretty scuffed. What's the deal with these Magid Message ponies? How do they work?

I also saw Brilliant Bloom is a Brush and Grow. Her tail was really short and I thought "Gosh, I hope no one cut it" so I pulled on it and - woop! Can I get it to go back in?

The Magic Message pony cutie marks are heat sensitive.  If you put your fingers over it for a few seconds, the "mystery" symbol should appear.  I think originally you were supposed to rub them, but I found with mine that you didn't really have to rub to get them to change, just make them warm.

The Brush and Grow's hair should go in when you twist her head back and forth.  Though, it might not be a bad idea to comb it first because it will keep that super long hair from being all ratted up inside of her. 

Post Merge: January 30, 2015, 06:37:39 PM

Okay so if I'm not deflocking the So Softs... tips on washing their hair without messing up the flock? Also a couple of the flocked ponies look like they were given... lipstick makeovers. Any way to clean that off without messing them up?

You can wash the hair normally.  For washing the body, I recommend using a baby toothbrush.  The bristles are soft and if you're gentle, you won't remove the flocking.  I had a Bouncy with a big black mark on its chest and the toothbrush got it out.  I used shampoo and water on it as well to help get the black mark out.  As long as you're careful and don't let it soak in the water, the flocking should be okay.  If you're not sure, you can try  it on a small spot before going over the rest of the body.  I wouldn't rub the flocking dry, though.  You can carefully blot out excess water, but I would leave the pony out to air dry for a few days.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 06:37:39 PM by Pokeyonekenobie »

Offline PrincessGryph

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 06:39:32 PM »

The Magic Message pony cutie marks are heat sensitive.  If you put your fingers over it for a few seconds, the "mystery" symbol should appear.  I think originally you were supposed to rub them, but I found with mine that you didn't really have to rub to get them to change, just make them warm.

The Brush and Grow's hair should go in when you twist her head back and forth.  Though, it might not be a bad idea to comb it first because it will keep that super long hair from being all ratted up inside of her. 

Post Merge: January 30, 2015, 06:37:39 PM

You can wash the hair normally.  For washing the body, I recommend using a baby toothbrush.  The bristles are soft and if you're gentle, you won't remove the flocking.  I had a Bouncy with a big black mark on its chest and the toothbrush got it out.  I used shampoo and water on it as well to help get the black mark out.  As long as you're careful and don't let it soak in the water, the flocking should be okay.  If you're not sure, you can try  it on a small spot before going over the rest of the body.  I wouldn't rub the flocking dry, though.  You can carefully blot out excess water, but I would leave the pony out to air dry for a few days.

Cuddles' cutie mark doesn't seem to be reacting on either side. on the side that isn't scuffed up, it almost looks like there's a clear seal over the cutie mark, and on the scratched side it looks like most of that seal has been rubbed away. We'll see if there's any reaction after a warm bath I guess, but so far it doesn't seem to work at all.

The Brush and Grow mechanism seems to be functioning perfectly, but the tail is a bit tangled in places so I'll definitely brush it out before I twist it back in.

Normally when I give a pony a bath, I get the whole body good and wet and scrub it with a nail brush. So what I'm hearing is, for the So Softs, I should just wash the hair without getting the whole body wet, and only get the flock wet where I'm trying to clean it, and dry it soon after. I think I'll try them last. The flocking on Twilight is perfect, and Lofty only has a little bareness on the nostril ridges and eyebrows, upper lip and some a bit on the wings. I'd really hate to screw them up D:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 06:45:49 PM by PrincessGryph »

brittney_rochelle

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 07:41:27 PM »
Misty AND Silkypup? I am so beyond jelly! I need both of them in my life

Offline PrincessGryph

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 07:45:13 PM »
Misty AND Silkypup? I am so beyond jelly! I need both of them in my life

Make me an offer on the Silkypup then (and these hair clips... apparently they are called "Pixietails"), I'm about to give her a bath ^^ The collar on her is intact too, doesn't look like it's supposed to come off.

I'll probably be selling Misty too, once she's all cleaned up :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal