collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Fakie - General Discussion Thread  (Read 94957 times)

tymmorn

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Most valuable fakies?
« Reply #615 on: August 27, 2014, 05:55:35 PM »
Just for variety, I happen to have an oddball Breyer fakie.  He was at a local antique shop (the kind that has like 20 or more sellers renting space in one shop).  At first, I just looked him over and took some phone pics to show my horse-crazy friends, but a couple of weeks later when I was in that area I broke down and bought him.  (He was just $9, worth it for the novelty.)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

We've been calling him "the Three-Quarter FAS" (FAS = Family Arabian Stallion, for the people who aren't Breyer nuts) because only 3/4 of him is the same as the FAS mold.  His front legs look like they were taken from another horse entirely.  He lives on my computer desk, mostly because I can't decide where else to put him.   :biggrin:

Offline pyrodarknessanny

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • banannas
    • View Profile
    • Pyrodarknessanny's ko-fi
Re: Fakie Appreciation Thread!
« Reply #616 on: August 27, 2014, 09:55:35 PM »
I've never seen tails rooted in what looks like a straight line before....  :blink:

you mean like this?

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 28, 2014, 03:54:45 AM »
The vertical tail rooting is less common than the typical fakie swirl shape, but not completely unheard of. :)

I'm just coming onto this thread to share that I had a dream last night that I found a sparkly Crumpet fakie at a grocery store. She was colored like Star Hopper- sort of a greenish blue, with yellow hair. She was very, very pretty. :lovey:

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #618 on: August 28, 2014, 09:09:55 AM »
fakie is used to refer to any knock off pony produced to be like MLP or ponies that look cheaply made compared to real hasbro produced MLP.

You wouldn't call a real Breyer a fakie - firstly they're not imitating MLP or copying the brand. They are a totally different brand and collector market. They are a product in an unto themself. It's rather difficult to confuse a breyer with a MLP or vise versa.

Generally fakie is mean for the ponies produced who are meant to look like MLP but are not licensed or made by hasbro.

Name brand products generally don't qualify as being called a fakie, because it's just different. It's usually just the cheaply produced toys that qualify as fakies.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 09:12:21 AM by KarentheUnicorn »
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline MonstarNomNom

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #619 on: August 28, 2014, 10:33:18 AM »
The vertical tail rooting is less common than the typical fakie swirl shape, but not completely unheard of. :)

I'm just coming onto this thread to share that I had a dream last night that I found a sparkly Crumpet fakie at a grocery store. She was colored like Star Hopper- sort of a greenish blue, with yellow hair. She was very, very pretty. :lovey:

This fakie needs to exist! Dx
:heart: My Etsy~My Facebook Page~Wishlist~IG:@perfumepuffprincess :heart:

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 28, 2014, 11:02:19 AM »

This fakie needs to exist! Dx

Believe it or not, she is not the only pony that I've imagined solely in the dream world. I've started a notebook to fill of descriptions of my "dream ponies" so that I (or a talented artist) can make them real someday. So who knows... maybe one day she really will exist!

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 28, 2014, 02:19:45 PM »
I think that fakie categorization is completely up for debate, and most certainly based on personal preference in terms of collecting habits and lingo. I personally classify my Breyers, my Barbie horses, my She-Ra horse, my Bratz Ponyz, etc. as fakies, simply because of matters of semantics. "Fakie," to me, is just a catch-all term for non-MLP horses. I collect the cheap knock offs, but I'll take in any toy horse really, if I like it or find it interesting. I use the term "fakie" because it's simply an easier way to say "My Little Pony" and "other."

I might have offended someone in the past by calling my Breyer- my lucky rare Breyer- a fakie, but I only do so because I collect toy horses, but Breyers are not the main title I'm into. I hope I'm making sense? I just don't see "fakie" as the negative term that a lot of people do.

I guess it's true that a "real" fakie would be the knockoffs described here- the cheap packaging and quality, hair that falls out in clumps, strange symbols if they have any at all, etc. DEFINITE impostors of Hasbro MLPs. But those other horses that come from established titles are still worth mentioning when discussing fakies, so I personally see nothing wrong with lumping them all together under one umbrella term.

But that's just me. :)

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 28, 2014, 04:20:07 PM »
Qualifiers like "bootleg fakies" or "knockoff fakies" for referring to the most egregious "My Lovely Merry" and so on could work, though at the risk of sounding a little redundant. I dunno. I've never quite been able to figure out what does or doesn't count as a "fakie" under the broader sense... what would you call this LEGO piece from 1996?

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #623 on: August 28, 2014, 04:39:00 PM »
I personally don't care what anyone calls they're toys. The thing is, in reference to discussing toys with someone else. If say, you have a Breyer Horse and are talking to another Breyer collector, I wouldn't think we would call it a 'fakie'.  I don't collect Breyer, (am just using Breyer as an example) but I'm thinking it's all going to depend on who you are talking to; unless we're just talking to ourselves (LOL!)

If we're talking to MLP collectors, then even if I had a Breyer, I'd call it a Breyer horse; I wouldn't automatically go with fakie on them.

Generally IF I don't know the manufacturer, or if it's a low quality imitation MLP toy, then I say fakie.

But if I know I have a  Breyer, a Grand Champion, a Cabbage Patch Pony or something that is identifiable then I'm gonna call it what it is. It really doesn't need to be identified as a fakie IF it already has a brand name.

Some fakies do have names, they are noticeable because they have become popular among collectors or maybe they're of better quality or something sticks out about them to qualify them for naming status.

But my general rule is it's a fakie if it's low quality. I don't feel that automatically every single equine toy out there is a fakie. And usually it's going to be similar to a hasbro produced MLP before I deem it a fakie.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #624 on: August 28, 2014, 04:51:23 PM »
Why do you tempt our brains so much Rachel-Eyes?? That would rock.

tymmorn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #625 on: August 28, 2014, 06:54:47 PM »
Another odd bit of terminology-related musings: until recently, I personally only used the word "fakie" for a MLP-style knockoff.  For Breyer, I called them, well, "Breyer knockoffs."  At a certain point, I started calling any knockoff of any known brand "fakie."  :D

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: August 28, 2014, 08:03:43 PM »
Hehe, in the same dream, I also picked up that sparkly pink Crumpet that you named Cosmos. I think you've partially inspired this, Colorscapes!

(Also, the dream ended with the store thinking I was shoplifting when they saw me with my own book... which was scary, so I'm choosing to focus on the ponies!)

Offline xTic_Tac_Toex

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 29, 2014, 01:57:48 AM »
I must agree with KarentheUnicorn! Surely 'fakies' are ponies which are trying to be MLP, brightly coloured and made from vinyl, but are of a much cheaper quality? I used to collect Grand Champion horses, and I'd never call them fakies as an MLP collector. They're a proper, good quality brand of toys that also happen to be of the equine variety. I think if it's of low quality/a cheapy unknown brand and is trying to be an MLP knockoff, then it's a fakie.

I think any popular brand can have fakies, though! I remember when the Grand Champion feed 'n nuzzle horses came out, there were a line of crappy plastic horses trying to mimic the moving magnetic head. I would call those fakies too, but GC fakies - so I guess a fakie is an imposter trying to mimic a true brand?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 01:59:45 AM by xTic_Tac_Toex »

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 29, 2014, 08:40:20 AM »
I'd go more...a fakie is a pony/horse similar to a known brand that is trying to play off the popularity, advertising, time and effort put into that toy, but invests none of those things in its toys themselves. Like, some people call Lanards fakies, and in a way they are, but they're their own brand, and they have fakies made of them because of that. I suppose there are different levels of fakie...a level 1 fakie would be ponies that took advantage of the initial popularity of MLP, like Lanard and Totsy, and were made at about the same time. Level 2 would be first run off-mold fakies like Princess Rinse n' Spit and the Crumpet pose fakies, level 3 would be the hippo ponies that are partially but poorly remodelled after already remodelled fakies and are sold at established places like Wal*Mart, and level 4 would be the really cheap arsed fakies that are sometimes found at Dollar stores and sometimes don't resemble the original MLP/Breyer/Lanard line at all. Level 5? Eeeeek!!
Maybe that's not how everyone else would divide them, but I like to look at ponies and go "Whoa..Level 4 Fakie alert!!" :lol: it makes it more fun!

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
« Reply #629 on: August 30, 2014, 10:37:10 PM »
My husband and I were at our local variety store today, and occasionally this place gets some weird little fakies, and these were so insane I had to get pictures... AND VIDEO. XD

"My Lovely Horse", with purple Pinkie on the front? What's crazier is this thing actually makes music, you gotta watch the video, I can't even explain it, other than it was LOUD. Like... really loud.

The back is just... wow. Dressed up Pinkie, normal Pinkie, Applejack, and... Pinkie mixed with Minka from LPS???

Youtube Vid:
http://youtu.be/IAYDQK1KWV0
(ignore my hubby in the background, he was being silly. XD)

Also, "Lovely Pet Show, New Series!" They only have the ponies, kinda disappointing they didn't have the other animals lol. Remember, these are "Best quality for you!"  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal