collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: When someone is not happy with an item who pays for return shipping?  (Read 3265 times)

Offline ChipsteRJ

• Accessory Genius
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+522)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I have an issue.

I took photos and my camera is not the greatest, and monitors/ colors do NOT always show up as true color. It is NOT like I sold something without photos....

I sold several brushes/ combs and the buyer was not happy with them stating that the colors I sent were not what appeared in my photos.

I am happy to issue a refund for the items (but not original OR return shipping), but who pays for the return shipping?

The seller doesn't feel that they should have to pay it because it was my fault for having a crappy camera that falsified the true colors. I don't think I should have to pay as I sent what was requested. I tried to compromise with sending a 25% refund, but that didn't go over too well.

I know if this was on e-Bay the buyer would be responsible for the return shipping, but get a FULL refund for BOTH item AND shipping- how does it work with a transaction on the Arena?

Offline Saoirse

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Part time collector, Full time addict!
    • View Profile
Re: When someone is not happy with an item who pays for return shipping?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 07:50:01 AM »
If she opens a paypal dispute it'LL go the same road as Ebay, and you'll be out original shipping..

Most people on here are super friendly though and will work with you, from experience.. Something like combs I would ask the seller who they belong to because they have such slight colour differences.

I'd say its a case of working out a resolution with the buyer, because otherwise I'd say you'll have to swallow original shipping cost

Offline Sebby6

• Maid of Metal \m/
  • Trade Count: (+151)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://sebby6.darc.net
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 07:55:06 AM »
Much as it sucks - at the end of the day it is a misrepresented item. Buyers looking for a certain comb has nothing to go by other than the pic provided by the seller.
She wouldn't have bought it if she had known it wasn't the right one.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Always looking for MLP erasers

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 08:13:54 AM »
Boy that has happened to me as cameras do not get the colors of these vintage combs right at all and it can cause someone to buy a certain color and it not be actually that color.  I feel she should ship the item back to you, and as a seller its a very nice thing to do to pay her back for her shipping-its not her fault either.  Refunding return shipping only been done for me three times in all my buying, I do feel its better business to refund that shipping back for a buyer.  Stick a disclaimer on your sales thread from now on about camera and color will vary so you don't go through this again. I am really sorry that happened.  When I refund, I refund shipping as well as the item.

edit for spelling errors and my bad grammar :|
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 08:22:38 AM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 08:47:02 AM »
I suppose there is no written rule on the Arena on how you proceed with an issue such as yours. It is completely up to you as a seller on how you want to handle it. If it were me and I knew my camera was not the greatest I would graciously accept the return and return her expenses she paid to send the item back. But I also handle my ebay transactions the same way even though ebay does not force the seller to do so. And I only do so if it is error on my part, not buyers remorse.

So I guess what it really comes down to is if your willing to accept a neutral or negative over the transaction? I know it sounds unfair but Sebby summed it up, at the end of the day it is still a misrepresented item in your buyers eyes.

I do hope you will be able to come to a resolution with your buyer that satisfies both parties. Good Luck!
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline Squirrelypaws

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 10:16:38 AM »
I agree with Ponylady; it's pretty much up to you how to deal with it.

If it helps at all, I think with eBay, the policy is that you refund the full payment that you received for the item, original shipping included, when you receive the item back. The buyer is expected to pay the return shipping, and you're not obligated to return that.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 10:20:26 AM by GryffindorHermione »
**Formerly known as GryffindorHermione**
~*{Squirrely's Stuff For Sale}*~
Ponies ;; Dolls ;; Other Toys

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 03:22:06 PM »
^^; It's not the camera. The image can be fixed to represent accurate color. It's also up for speculation of what the buyer's monitor is like. *shrug* To which, obviously most sellers don't color correct their images (and that's fine, neither do I! and I know how...) But even if they do, then the buyer is probably not on a calibrated monitor... 

So let me say to anyone picky about color. If you are interested in a certain color object, then you should ask your seller to take pictures of objects you KNOW the color of, something that is always consistent. That way, with that item you DO know, you can see if the color is distorted in the picture. And just remember, white, is hardly ever really white. So a white piece of paper, is an awful reference.

But as for what to do, I dunno... that's really between the buyer and seller.

For myself... If I want something of a certain color, I know it's always a risk that the picture isn't accurate. I can't tell you how many mint leggings I bought trying to find one that matched a dress. It was all over the place, it wasn't even funny.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 03:24:07 PM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline ChipsteRJ

• Accessory Genius
  • Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 07:16:28 PM »
Thanks for you thought, but it was an international transaction, so it is not like we are talking $2 shipping- it was more like 8. I work fulltime (40+ hours) on a single income hardly above minimum wage, so $8 to me is Quite a bit in out of pocket costs.

Offline Sebby6

• Maid of Metal \m/
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 01:17:36 AM »
Thanks for you thought, but it was an international transaction, so it is not like we are talking $2 shipping- it was more like 8. I work fulltime (40+ hours) on a single income hardly above minimum wage, so $8 to me is Quite a bit in out of pocket costs.

That's not the buyer's problem though. You said yourself the camera doesn't show the colours right, and as an accessory collector, you know how important it is.
Definitely a lesson learned.

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 01:31:32 AM »

That's not the buyer's problem though. You said yourself the camera doesn't show the colours right, and as an accessory collector, you know how important it is.
Definitely a lesson learned.

I agree, I recommend getting a better quality camera perhaps, since if it isn't taking accurate photos, it's better to correct this if you can afford to.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 03:52:43 AM »
No one read my post.

It's not the camera. She doesn't need a new camera!

Maybe invest in different lighting. Maybe post edit the picture.

And also, no one knows what the buyers monitor is like either. That alters color AS WELL. So it may not be purely just the picture.

No one should be trusting the colors on their screen-- unless you have properly calibrated monitors. Even if a picture was white balanced by a seller, cases are, it still doesn't look right on the buyers monitor!

There is no real way to ever display accurate color to a buyer. period.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 03:57:51 AM by banditpony »

Offline Sebby6

• Maid of Metal \m/
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 04:50:38 AM »
No one read my post.

We did read your post. But Chipster said herself that it was due to her camera.
It's sort of being made a little bit worse by the seller being a known accessory collector so she does know how important it is.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 05:10:09 AM »
It's a grey area. It's more so not understanding how to fix color

A professional photographer doesn't just use the picture straight from the camera. He will color correct it after it gets on the computer

But what I am saying is the monitor makes a difference too.

Ex. At work I have 2 monitors. One is calibrated, one is not. One is glossy screen, one is not. One is older...... Anyway,there is a picture of some flowers. One is showing overly bright pink, almost neon. The other shows a nicer bright pink. It's a drastic difference.

So, that's why I say it could be buyers monitor.

I am not saying its the sellers fault or buyers fault. In my opinion it's a grey area. If OP is blaming her camera then she should probably take responsibility

But I can say its not the camera, just not knowing how to get more accurate color.

Edit ; also trying to say, as someone who works with color... I know even if a seller goes thru proper steps to white balance (btw, trusting colors straight out of a camera won't get you correct color representation) ... My monitor is not calibrated, and I can't trust what's on the screen.

~~~
I just wanna say. My very first comment said that regardless of anything, it's between the buyer and seller on how to fix this situation.

It's just really bothers me that people said "buy a new camera", when that's not true. And I wanted to inform EVERYONE, that no matter what, a buyer can only do so much in representing true color. And that even if they do (which no one does), the buyer's monitor can skew things just as much as a bad picture.

I find it really important for everyone to know that. ): No ?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 03:48:02 PM by banditpony »

Offline ChipsteRJ

• Accessory Genius
  • Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 05:11:20 AM »
No one read my post.

Maybe invest in different lighting. Maybe post edit the picture.

And also, no one knows what the buyers monitor is like either. That alters color AS WELL. So it may not be purely just the picture.

No one should be trusting the colors on their screen-- unless you have properly calibrated monitors. Even if a picture was white balanced by a seller, cases are, it still doesn't look right on the buyers monitor!

There is no real way to ever display accurate color to a buyer. period.

Thank you for taking my side.

Part of the reason I have so many extras is EXACTLY this reason... I think I am getting something new when I buy it then I am disappointed that it is NOT what I was expecting, but I also don't feel it is the seller's fault for not being able to read my mind/know what I need.

Last month I asked how I should photograph my extra brushes/combs by color vs shape and the overwhelming response was shape... and this is what I get?????

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 06:00:25 AM »
I just don't think you can please every buyer perfectly. There are going to be those transactions that are just harder.  So, in my opinion you as a seller have two choices you can either stick by your story and not change your return policy and possibly get feedback you don't want (possibly) or you can try to make things right in  a compromise with your buyer for this particular sale and continue with the fantastic rating you already have.  I don't think it matters whether you are justified because its just a camera, buyer monitor issues and a large group arena members gave you a tip for photographs.  I think the issue is that your buyer is not happy with their purchase and they just need a clear refund.  They bought these thinking they were a certain color and they didn't end up being that color. Ok well, so... You could go on and on about the camera and the color but really the only issue is where someone like me wouldn't return a brush or comb if it was off color from what I was expecting, your buyer is different and feels this transaction has not been good for them.  What will you decide? Its up to you.  Do you want to take the risk to your fantastic feedback over shipping since its unfair for you to pay it?  Ponylady said that there is no rule about this, so it is your decision. 

Post Merge: June 19, 2013, 06:11:37 AM

I would also like to say that I am always more than willing to send items back to sellers and pay for that if I really am unhappy.  I don't know why some people have a hard time with this.  I have a question: Is the shipping going to cost her more than her refund?  By the time she pays for the item and the first initial shipping...with that added together to the return shipping will she actually get much of a refund? Something to consider.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 06:11:37 AM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal