collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Paradise Estate - pony friendly?  (Read 1014 times)

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Paradise Estate - pony friendly?
« on: May 08, 2013, 04:33:04 PM »

I first saw Paradise Estate in 1986 when the Ponies got it in My Little Pony: The Movie.  In the dark of the theater, I turned to my best friend at the time and said "I WANT THAT."  :)

I have never, however, actually purchased it--even as an adult collector when I didn't have a mom and dad guarding my pennies:)  I think it is a very exciting playset in a lot of ways (gates! huge rooms! a pool!), but the accessories always bother me.  In the kitchen there are two chairs, a high bar, and utensils, in the living room a sofa and chair, on the patio two more chairs.  These features make the Estate seem more like "Megan's Florida Timeshare" b/c ponies can't use these things!  I have not seen the bed in person, so I don't know if a pony can lay across it or not.

(I'm not much of a Megan fan.)

If you look at most other playsets--Dream Castle, the Show Stable, even the Perm Shoppe--the accessories are all designed to fit ponies, not the blonde teen in the ruffled romper!

All that said: do the Megan-specific accessories bother you?  Even a little?

AND . . . if you could, how would you design the accessories differently?  How might you make the Estate more pony friendly?  :)
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Paradise Estate - pony friendly?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 05:20:30 PM »
Yes!  This always bothered me too!  It's one of the reasons I've not wanted to get a PE either (the other being the Dream Castle has always been my favourite playset and I was none too happy when the Ponies abandoned it: hello!  It's a castle!  Why wouldn't you want to live in it?)

I suppose you could tip the ponies back to "sit" on the couches, but still.

I've just been collecting the accessories I like and that can work with the other playsets: the tv, toybox, lamps, coffee table...

Elf

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 05:22:21 PM »
No, sorry.  But I just LOVE how detailed the paradise estate is.  They thought of everything.  It has a freaking TOASTER.  I'm biased towards accessories though, so I'm not the best person to ask.  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 05:38:02 PM »
I dunno, my ponies sit across the sofa & bed and the babies hang out in the chairs. :silly: You know, when it's not being taken over by G4 hamsters.......

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 05:57:31 PM »
 This is something that bugs me across all the generations of MLP - wouldn't ponies have invented more pony-friendly versions of chairs and pencils and musical instruments and...and everything? I remember being surprised when I found out the yellow umbrella was a pony accessory; how could a pony use that? The mouth I guess, but then the whole body would get wet. (Which is why I like Pinkie Pie using an umbrella hat in G4, but there's still the wet body issue.) My Little pony Tales acted like they characters weren't even ponies, everything in that show was designed for people with hands! G3 was pretty guilty of this, too. Shame on you guys! If you're going to makes shows about ponies, at least acknowledge that they're ponies!

My headcanon for my own personal Ponyland is that all those things were made by monkey-like creatures from across the sea (think those inventor monkeys from the original series, except less interested in destroying the ponies for no established reason) and that their devices have been imported to Ponyland for their use, even though they have to get creative to use them.
I'll put something here some time

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 06:22:29 PM »
I was none too happy when the Ponies abandoned it: hello!  It's a castle!  Why wouldn't you want to live in it?)

I always thought the same too! When I was little I was so upset that the ponies would abandon the pretty castle for a "house" :P Castles are much more magical ;)
My Wish List

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 06:25:27 PM »
PE was my grail as a child, so I was never really bothered with that, although I loathed Megan.
Now I have finally obtained my grail, and I just have the newborns sit on the sofa watching TV while the adults do some other stuff. Doesn't bother me.

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 06:36:39 PM »
I guess I always thought of Paradise Estate as being Megan's place (don't mind that other stable playset named Megan's Place or whatever)...but I figured that was her house, the ponies came to visit... whereas the Castle was Majesty's house, the Salon was Fifis, Stable was Lemon Drops, but Megan would go visit them there... I dunno.

I guess the only thing that bothers me is that the accessories are SO SMALL! I'm going to kill myself trying to find 2 spoons so mine is 100% complete!  :blink:
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline MANIMAL!

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 01:20:06 PM »
. . . "Megan's Florida Timeshare". . .

Hahaha, I think I like this name better. I agree with others on here--I hate that they left the castle!

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 01:36:31 PM »
I only have a few pieces of the furniture in Paradise Estate, it's hard to play in- the rooms are big, but you can't exactly reach in through the roof and move anything. It's pretty, and it's the showpiece of my pony room, but it isn't my favorite. But the Satin Slipper Sweet Shoppe, which comes with a dainty table and two little chairs, has always made me wonder about that. I figured Megan and Molly can sit in the chairs, the ponies will stand because that's what horses do. They also work nicely for Care Bears and little Pom-pom bears that found their way into Ponyland, so they aren't just collecting dust.
I like the concept of Megan- if she can do it, so can I ! Maybe someday a pink Pegasus will come out of the clouds and take me away to save all of Ponyland! . But I don't like the way the ponies count on her for everything. I'm sure they were just using her for her thumbs- in one of the old episodes there was a pony using a hammer with her mouth. That's a strong set of choppers!
And yeah, when they just started being ponies that acted like people, ignoring the fact that they had hooves and couldn't hold a pan of steaming cookies or a pen, that frustrated me, too.
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 03:31:32 AM »
Lol "Megan's Florida Timeshare" - that should have been the description on the box!

I love Megan though so for that reason I do think of the PE as her home because everything is dolly sized and I love it too.

I think it would have made sense perhaps to have 2 rooms doll size and 2 rooms with some more pony sized items but perhaps the problem would have been fitting larger furniture in...and I think your average parent would have fainted if the PE was any larger.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal