collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Your story of when G1s ceased to be made  (Read 3919 times)

Offline Ember1

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Your story of when G1s ceased to be made
« on: February 28, 2013, 05:58:01 AM »
So. When I was 7 years old hasbro stopped making g1s.
Ever since I was born my mother had bought me ponies. They
We're my favorite toy and they had always been with me as long as i could remember. They were the ultimate conquest of every birthday holiday or toy store trip.  Now,
I was a confused 7 year old wandering down the isles
Of toys r us eternally looking for my discontinued toy not
understanding  that they (g1) would never be made again.
It took me 3 years to stop looking for them and when I hit
my teen years, the pony forums had begun so those of us with
unresolved pony issues could unite. I also had no idea that ponies
Were made in many countries.

Tell me your stories. How old were you?  Also did you have any idea
Ponies had been made in many countries?  If so which countries?

[Moving to Pony Corral - thanks, LadyG :) ]
[topics merged ~ many thanks ~ hathorcat
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 04:01:35 PM by hathorcat »
Andre's Sunsparkler Hybrid Proto
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: Your story of when G1s ceased to be made
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 07:16:24 AM »
...G1 ended before I was born.  :blush:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

keikokukien

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 07:29:22 AM »
I was so young that I barely remember it ending. My grandmother and I always went to garage sales, so even after the line ended, we would go to garage sales in the neighborhood and buy up even cheaper G1s. I remember one time finding the entire (or what I thought was all of it) perm shoppe minus the pony and even though it was used, I was so excited to bring it home and clean it up. But we just went from one christmas having ponies to them not being their. I don't even remember G2s, but G3s showing up made me kinda upset because I missed my plump, happy ponies.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 07:29:30 AM »
I would have been about 19 or 20 years old when they stopped making ponies in the USA.

It was around 1996 or 97 when I got online and found out about other collectors and also when I found out about ponies made outside of the USA. I think 1998 or 99 would have been the first pony meetup I ever attended.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline scarlettkitty81

• Trade Count: (+275)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 07:38:06 AM »
I beleive I was also 19-20 when G1's were no longer in production. I do not remember G2 at all and for whatever odd reason I barely remember G3. I recall seeing the G3.5 which I thought and still think are an awful representation of the much loved G1 line. It was not until G4 that I fell in love with ponies again.

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 07:42:03 AM »
I was 9 when the G1's were discontinued. I was hugely upset since ponies were the only toys I wanted. For birthdays and Christmas and any other presents I only ever got ponies. And I have fond memories in Toys R Us and K mart standing in front of the wall of ponies trying to decide which one to choose. When the G2's came out I was really happy ponies were back but they looked so strange and not MLP-like that I was totally turned off. That's probably why even now I don't pay any attention to the G2's.

I started hunting thrift stores when I hit high school. I got excited and bought any ponies I came across. So my collection slowly grew from just my childhood ponies to any I found at thrift stores or yard sales.

Then I found the online community and found out there are other people who are just as crazy about ponies so I was thrilled. Then of course eBay was getting lots of ponies. And that's about the time I discovered Nirvanas and whoa the pony world exploded for me lol I was soooo thrilled to find out there were other variations of Starflower.
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.

Offline Enolaalone

• Puzzle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 07:46:32 AM »
I was... 8 I think when G1s stopped being made? Because we still had them in the UK until 1993 or 1994. I don't remember them stopping being made, but I do remember seeing G2s and hating them. They weren't the right shape. I think I also remember seeing G3s and them still not being the right shape! I went on to collect Breyers and china horses and all kinds of other horse-related stuff, so that filled the gap for the rest of my childhood years until I discovered music  :lol:

Thanks to SDS for my siggy and Jupi for my avatar :)

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 07:54:29 AM »
I was about in my late teens early twenties when the G1s ended. At the time I wasn't a collector. I think I would of been sad about it. I really don't remember what happened to the end G1 line. I really didnt know about the G2s either. When I got back into collecting there were only G3s and I was at the end of the line of that almost.

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 07:59:47 AM »
When G1 ended, I was about 12 years old. It was kinda "ok" for me, since I was growing out of playing with toys at that time... but it still made me a bit sad to see them going out of stores and not being replaced :(
I got into serious collecting when the G3 line starte in 2003.

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 08:00:47 AM »
I was older and by that time my mom wasn't buying me ponies anymore.  I still would go down the aisles looking for them and admiring, so I saw all the new releases.  I also remember being disappointed that most of the ponies near the end were so gimmicky.  I didn't like the Pocket ponies for example.  I think they, the mermaid ponies, and the Sweetheart sisters ( all of which I disliked) were the last ones I remember picking up at the stores.  I wanted more regular ponies!  Then they just stopped making any new ones. 

I also remember when the G2s came out and how very upset I was over the new design.  I hated them.  Ironically I like them now and want specific ones, but at the time it felt like mlp just ruined the line. 

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 08:07:49 AM »
I was about 13 or 14  when MLP (G1) stopped being made. I had stopped buying ponies by then, but I stilll adored the ones that I did have. Sadly, I didn't even notice when they disappeared from stores because by then I was looking for "cool teen things". However, I do remember being about 18 when I saw G2's in the stores for the first time. I was horrified to see what had been done to MLP. I wish I hadn't thought that then.....because I could have had so many MOC G2's! lol
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:41:55 AM by josiekat »

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 08:08:09 AM »
I don't remember then going out of stores since I was in college...I just kinda figured that Ponies would always be there. They always had been in the past. Thankfully I'd saved all of mine from when I was younger, so my nieces could play with them. I remember seeing a pony from the G3 line and thinking they were such an abomination...they were cute, but I thought they looked anorexic compared to the chubby sweetness of the G1s, and I thought "God, this obsession with being skinny has affected even them!" I was ticked off and sad, that's for sure. At least the G4s don't set a bad prescident for young girls with the way they look and act.

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 09:29:46 AM »
I was sad as I was old enough to earn money from babysitting and buy my own ponies.  I haunted the toy aisles for a long time afterwards.   I did encounter G2 and even though I didn't fall in love immediately, they were still ponies and I loved that.  When I saw G3, I was happy they looked more like G1 and bought a few of those.  But I didn't follow the line very well at all.  When G4 came out, I thought they were cute, but did a good job resisting them until I saw Granny Smith bb sized.  I've been thinking a lot about my own grandma and somehow it touched me that they not only made a grandma toy, but she actually looks elderly.  Just adorable and nice somehow.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Wadatsumi

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 09:35:34 AM »
I must've been arround 10-12. I wasn't okay with them simply stopping with their production. Still remember how I saved my pocketmoney to buy some of the rests in the store. Got four of them for 4 bucks.....I was so sad  :cry:

Offline Wysteria

• MOC Crazy!
  • Trade Count: (+118)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Katz Pony Shop
    • View Profile
    • http://www.katzponyshop.ecrater.com/
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 09:54:10 AM »
I remember that sad time. I was probably about 8 or 9 when I started to realize ponies weren't showing up in the stores anymore. I was shopping at Kmart or somewhere similar with my dad and raced to the pony aisle as usual only to find a pathetic selection of some 10th anniversary ponies left and a couple others. Then the last couple times we went shopping noticing less and less, I was crushed. I think my Rainbow curl Raincurl and Sippin Soda Strawberry Scoops were the last 2 ponies I ever bought in the stores:(

Years down the road I remember running into the same lonely dream beauty at a very busy TRU. It was marked down to $9.99 but since I hated orange and her super frizzy curly looking pink hair, I never picked up that Shimmering beauty...that still haunts me to this day because I had her in my hands at least 5 different times. It's almost like I went to the store just to visit her lol.

I remember when G2 came out and my mom called me from the store going you'll never guess what I found! I was beyond excited...then she came home, lol. I raced to the laundry room to go check them out and just went what the HAY are those!? Ugh, I was horrified and I'm sure that reaction is why I just never could look at them as actual ponies:/ I tried to buy a few more but they were just too different.

I was in college when G3 came out, fell in love and bought them all till they killed that line with core 7. If G3 had had a show to back them up like FIM, it might have been a bigger success but the cutesy 3-5 year old target audience was just too young.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal