collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Lol, Annoying Pony! The new name for G4 Bubble/Ditzy.  (Read 8969 times)

Offline Doedeardarling

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Lol, Annoying Pony! The new name for G4 Bubble/Ditzy.
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2012, 10:14:06 PM »
Seriously? I cannot believe that this forum censors her name. I just do not think it is right at all. People tell me I can call her whatever I want, but don't let me call her by the name I want to use. She's talked about so much because she's popular and a fan favorite character. Censoring her name because "you're sick of seeing it" makes about as much sense as censoring the name of the mane six or characters like Minty.  :huh:

I personally never, ever call her anything other than what is censored here. I'd honestly rather her remain nameless than be addressed in the show again as anything else. She's a "Where's Waldo?" type character in canon and is still very popular with fans. That won't go away for a long time. I just don't think the name the creator of the series, the storyboarders/animators, writers, VAs, and a majority of the fans all use should be censored because people talking about her is "annoying," but that's just me.

I also find the reaction of people who find this hilarious disheartening. Whatever happened to liking all of the ponies?

I completely agree. I don't mind what people call her, but cencoring it all feels pretty unfair. Can't we get along without going all North Korea about it? Not to mention "annoying pony" sounds just mean.

Tupin

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2012, 10:17:03 PM »
Wow. -_- God forbid we use a fandom name!

If its :muffin: Pony that's being filtered, it was filtered before. And its not bad because its a "fandom name", its an insult that a lot of people don't like and find offensive. Every time that "name" comes it it causes fights and arguments.
You do know that the term "derp" is just an neologism that is said after a minor mistake and/or a description for a silly face, right? It's not meant as an insult. It's meant like "Oh, I forgot to carry the five in this equation, that's why it's wrong. Derp!"

It's not meant with any malice at all towards this pony. People like that pony for the way she is, clumsiness and wall-eyed-ness intact. Why? Because it makes her endearing, she never lets her crossed eyes or clumsiness get her down.

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2012, 10:21:47 PM »

If its :muffin: Pony that's being filtered, it was filtered before. And its not bad because its a "fandom name", its an insult that a lot of people don't like and find offensive. Every time that "name" comes it it causes fights and arguments.
You do know that the term "derp" is just an neologism that is said after a minor mistake and/or a description for a silly face, right? It's not meant as an insult. It's meant like "Oh, I forgot to carry the five in this equation, that's why it's wrong. Derp!"

It's not meant with any malice at all towards this pony. People like that pony for the way she is, clumsiness and wall-eyed-ness intact. Why? Because it makes her endearing, she never lets her crossed eyes or clumsiness get her down.

Very well said!
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2012, 10:27:13 PM »

And you do know that "derp" is used as an insult to disabled people and some people (disabled or not) do not like the word? I am very aware of different meaning for the word "derp" and realize its used as more than an insult, but that doesn't mean its not hurtful when used as an insult. And that also doesn't mean that I, as a parent, feel its an appropriate name for a cartoon horse on a children's show.

Its great that some people don't intend anything hurtful when they call her :muffin: Pony, but not everyone likes that and people will call her whatever they want. Some call her :muffin: Pony, some call her Bubbles, some call her Ditzy Doo, and some call her Bubblecup. At the end of the day she's a nameless background character.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Spike

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Monochrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2012, 10:51:35 PM »

She later said that she completely replaced the concept "Ditzy Doo" with the character fans pointed out, and every single episode from Feeling Pinkie Keen on had explicit references to her fan created name in the script and storyboard.

For example, here is a storyboard from Luna Eclipsed:

Ask anyone who works on the show now and they will call that pony by the name Faust adopted for her. "Ditzy Doo" was never, ever her name, this pony was completely different. It was due to fan response that they decided to just give the fan noticed character the role "Ditzy Doo" was supposed to have instead.

Oooh ty!

Post Merge: December 01, 2012, 10:53:41 PM

And you do know that "derp" is used as an insult to disabled people and some people (disabled or not) do not like the word? I am very aware of different meaning for the word "derp" and realize its used as more than an insult, but that doesn't mean its not hurtful when used as an insult. And that also doesn't mean that I, as a parent, feel its an appropriate name for a cartoon horse on a children's show.

Its great that some people don't intend anything hurtful when they call her :muffin: Pony, but not everyone likes that and people will call her whatever they want. Some call her :muffin: Pony, some call her Bubbles, some call her Ditzy Doo, and some call her Bubblecup. At the end of the day she's a nameless background character.

I have Aspergers. I find it not at all offensive. I really like the concept of her name. I just hated hearing the fandom go on and on and on and on about it.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 10:53:41 PM by Spike »

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2012, 11:06:15 PM »
Haha, see guys. THIS is why it's censored here.

Just let it be. People can be offended and there are good reasons for it.

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2012, 11:13:35 PM »
LOL, hilarious!! Can we keep it, mommy? can we? can we? :lmao:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2012, 12:02:01 AM »
I only own two G4's, a cupcake that travels around in my bag with me, and the strange grey peg in Vinyl. Don't really care about teh dramaz, I think she's cute. I can understand why the mods would have gotten fed up with the poop that she creates however, I think the filter is pretty funny.

I don't think its an attack on G4's, that particular pony, or anyone that likes either, more, she has created alot of mess to mop up over here at times.

Anyone that has had anything to do with modding or running a forum should understand ;)

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2012, 12:21:21 AM »
Not to mention.... have you met our mods? XD If you haven't been around long you may not have noticed this about them, but our mods are full of silliness and pranks. They often get their usernames changed to stilly things, and put weird filters on words (remember the farts?). They Grey Pegasus has gone through several name filters at various times. Try not to take it too seriously :)

Offline Pythia

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2012, 12:47:20 AM »

QFT.
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2012, 01:18:16 AM »
Ask anyone who works on the show now and they will call that pony by the name Faust adopted for her. "Ditzy Doo" was never, ever her name, this pony was completely different. It was due to fan response that they decided to just give the fan noticed character the role "Ditzy Doo" was supposed to have instead.

Actually, you're wrong.  The writer originally scripted her as "Ditzy Doo" in The Last Roundup.   At some point Studio B decided to change it to ":muffin: Pony", which was a dumb move on their part.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Bread

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2012, 01:37:11 AM »
It's so ironic that the filter seems to cause the exact same conflict it was made to avoid :P

Besides, even if we can't use the fan-name for her, we have plenty of alternate names for our grey pegasus friend: Ditzy Doo, Bubbles, Muffins, Goldeneye, etc.

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2012, 01:49:06 AM »
I must be missing something because in the time I've been here I haven't seen any fighting over :muffin: Pony's name.  -_- The change messed up the title to my wanted thread.

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline Pythia

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2012, 02:04:13 AM »
I just...don't get the drama over not using it, to be honest. It's a name. Easy to change. Canon or not, some people find it very offensive and insulting. How shallow and callous do you have to be to keep using it if that's the case?
MLP is for *kids*. What kind of example is being set by a. using a word, which is considered by many people to be an offensive slur, as a name, and b. by continuing to use that word just because you like it even though it is incredibly upsetting and hurtful to some people?

The D word doesn't *personally* offend or hurt me. But I know a lot of people, children included, who have been teased and bullied with it, who find it upsetting, offensive, hurtful and cruel. So you know what? I don't use it anymore. And I will defend their right to not have it used around them.

It's...so easy to make someone else's life a little bit better by not using it. I think it's incredibly selfish to keep hurting people by using it, when it's so easy to stop.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 02:13:57 AM by Pythia »
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

Offline zannid

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2012, 02:19:53 AM »
It's not because she's appearing everywhere. It's because topics about her and her name tend to bring out the argumentative in people, and the drama gets to be too much to handle. It's not a reflection on the forum's, mods' or admins' opinions on her name and what she should be called, it's that there's too much drama surrounding it, which they're trying to cull.

I know I haven't been on the forum for too long but most of the "arguments" I've seen have actual been pretty polite/respectful? It pretty well seems like that's the nature of this forum.

While I'm all for keeping drama at a minimum and there certainly doesn't need to be any insults going about, I think there should be some wiggle room for a healthy level of debate. Now of course if it devolves into name calling or a game of who can argue their point loudest, then it's probably time to call it quits.

I understand that this is sort of escapist community from other places on the net where people can fight like cats and dogs, but differing opinions isn't something I personally frown upon. If we don't listen to other perspectives, how are we to ever learn? If it's just a constant loop of people stating the same argument, that's one thing, but having a different point of view or perspective isn't negative in and of itself.

In the end, I think a community is dictated by it's members. If having something designed a certain way makes the majority happy, then I would assume that the direction the mods of said community are working in, is a positive for that group. I can understand the want to nip an argument in the bud before it spirals out of control, but it can be a precarious balance of allowing people their say while making sure nothing turns into a veritable shouting match.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal