collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLP and gender roles  (Read 12149 times)

Offline Pythia

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: MLP and gender roles
« Reply #105 on: May 29, 2012, 06:52:29 PM »
No. Seriously. It was patronising. Please don't tell someone to relax about something they're obviously bothered by. Especially when it's a woman being bothered about sexism, considering we have to deal with it every single day in multiple ways and have been doing so for many generations.
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 29, 2012, 06:55:33 PM »
No.  Seriously.  They should relax.  They seem to jump down my throat.

Okay, I was ignoring you (because, protip! when the mod says you should be civil, it's a good idea to listen to them!), but here's the thing: telling someone to "calm down" is rude and dismissive, which is even more ironic, considering the conversation we're having is one about sexism. (Protip the second: women are often told to "calm down" because they are prejudiced against as being over-emotional.) So you saying "you sound angry, you should calm down" is not only A) rude on the face of it, but B) doubly-rude in a potentially sexist way!

I'm not jumping down your throat, I was pointing out the fallacies in your logic. But if you are feeling attacked, then I am sorry, it was not my intention.
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 29, 2012, 07:10:32 PM »
It's the snideness of your posts.  I know what it's like for someone to hit a raw nerve.  I have a laundry list of political berserk buttons.  I've also been in plenty of snidefests with users I know well and the understanding it's in good fun.

However, when you meet someone with not a disagreement, but snark by someone you don't know, it's off putting.  Especially since you don't get your point across.  You just come off as hostile or patronizing.

And my suggestion for you to relax was made without an assumption to your gender for what it's worth.  I don't care what someone is when they seem to be getting worked up over something and not communicating why they're getting worked up and going at me.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 29, 2012, 07:22:39 PM »
Your complaining about my "patronizing," which comes immediately after the "you need to calm down, you sound mad" posts? Is hilariously ironic. And although there was some snark, I thought I made my point ins a fairly clear way. I honestly could have gone on and on about why your post was wrong; I thought putting it in a sarcastic light would be slightly more "amusing" than angry, but I guess everyone reads things differently.

Could I have said it in a less snarky way? Of course. But it is equally off-putting to see someone coming in to say that the most important thing they are worried about is sexism against men in children's cartoons, when sexism against women (or the complete lack of women altogether in boys' shows) is a bigger problem than sexism against men will ever be. Let the little girls have their shows, and don't try to make your stand on "equality" by stealing shows from little girls, instead of from little boys.
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 29, 2012, 07:43:24 PM »
Let the little girls have their shows, and don't try to make your stand on "equality" by stealing shows from little girls, instead of from little boys.

Quoted for truth. This is why the more hardcore bronies really push my buttons. Can't admit you like a girl's show so you gotta find ways to make it pander more to your gender demographic. Riiiight.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Stuntmang

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #110 on: May 29, 2012, 07:44:42 PM »
Can we stop the pointless stereotyping? That's what this thread is intended to fight against, after all.

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 29, 2012, 07:45:54 PM »
Okay, since I don't see how this thread can go anywhere but further downhill, I think that will do. Locking.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal