collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: OH MY GOD THEY DID IT!!!!!!! New toys, and white Celestia!  (Read 9615 times)

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
    • View Profile
OH MY GOD THEY DID IT!!!!!!! New toys, and white Celestia!
« on: February 11, 2012, 10:22:30 AM »
These look awesome, and I'm all for more toys of characters from the show (and the accurately-colored Celestia), but does anybody else kinda feel like these are basically just catering to the brony side of the fanbase?

I mean, a lot of these characters (the DJ, Nightmare Moon, etc.) have been done as customs hundreds of times. It almost feels like they're only going with what they think will sell to the bronies.

Yeah but don't you see what a huuuge step for Hasbro that is! They were not even ACKNOWLEDGING the collector/brony part of their fanbase before, and now to cater to them? That's incredible. It demonstrated that we really DO have a voice, and if we keep showing the demand for certain products (like boys) we have a shot at getting them!

Offline TE_Starflower

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: OH MY GOD THEY DID IT!!!!!!! New toys, and white Celestia!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 10:34:05 AM »
Looks too good to be true!!

I'm not a brony, but I'm just as happy to see all of these characters.  Collector, fan, or Brony, who wouldn't want show-accurate ponies??
And I think the reason why the bronies seem to be getting more of a voice than the collectors ever did was really a case of who screamed the loudest.  I love the Bronies, so kudos to them, and let's face it, they are a loud bunch!  I think they screamed loud enough that Hasbro finally saw that MLP isn't just for little girls but are apparently for EVERYONE.  And I'm thinking the fact that the bronies seemed to have a lot of disposable income to throw at them for merch, legit or not, probably helped persuade them too.  Money makes the world go round!

Squeaky wheel gets the grease... and I have to say I'm quite pleased about that for once!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

sales album: http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,292573.0.html

Offline babymoondust

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 10:47:32 AM »
These look awesome, and I'm all for more toys of characters from the show (and the accurately-colored Celestia), but does anybody else kinda feel like these are basically just catering to the brony side of the fanbase?

I mean, a lot of these characters (the DJ, Nightmare Moon, etc.) have been done as customs hundreds of times. It almost feels like they're only going with what they think will sell to the bronies.

I can't see the problem in Hasbro catering to their fans, regardless of what each fanbase calls themselves. I'm not a brony but the idea of having official Nightmare Moon, Trixie, etc makes me pretty dang happy as a collector and fan of MLP. Like, I can't see what about Hasbro catering to bronies would displease a collector? Bronies and collectors (because many bronies are collectors, and many collectors are bronies) basically the thing we have in common is that we all basically like MLP right?

Customs will always be awesome regardless, but customs and officials carry their own, very unique, and very different charms to them.

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 11:03:38 AM »
Yeah but don't you see what a huuuge step for Hasbro that is! They were not even ACKNOWLEDGING the collector/brony part of their fanbase before, and now to cater to them? That's incredible. It demonstrated that we really DO have a voice, and if we keep showing the demand for certain products (like boys) we have a shot at getting them!

I don't know that it's fair to say Hasbro wasn't acknowledging us before - they DID host last year's MLP Fair and they've been providing con exclusives that are specifically targeted to the collector community for years.  Toys that reflect the show are just another aspect of their awareness of the collector community.

I'm actually most excited about the Zecora toy out of these.  She's certainly a major enough character to have her own toy, and she's an awesome character.

Elf

Offline Silver Glade

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Collector for Life!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
Wow!  Hasbro made a villain into a toy for the first time in MLP's 30-year history!  That is incredible!!

And don't be hatin' on the bronies!  Bronies and old-school collectors have much in common.  Not least of which is that we want show-accurate toys.  I think the reason that bronies have successfully moved Hasbro to action is not because they screamed louder than collectors, but because their very numbers and output dwarfs that of the traditional adult collector demographic.  There are tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of bronies worldwide, and the numbers just continue to grow.  Us collectors number in, what, perhaps a few thousand?
And bronies are incredibly prolific in showing their passion for the show - the quality and volume of fanworks is astounding.  Fanart, comics, music, fanfics, customs, plushies, PMVs, original animation - it's mind-blowing how much media is produced as a response to this show.  After months of continued, never-waning passion for the series, of course Hasbro is gonna sit up and take notice of this demographic, and assess them as a potential market.  I'm so happy they finally responded with some of the "most-wanted" merchandise, e.g. a white Celestia.

I really hope they produce enough toys to meet demand - I'm sure many a Toys R Us store is going to be swamped come autumn.  LOL!  And lets also hope that these toys sell well enough to encourage more "waves" of fan favorites made into official figurines.  I haven't been this excited for upcoming MLP merchandise in a very long time!  :D

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 11:16:31 AM »

I don't know that it's fair to say Hasbro wasn't acknowledging us before - they DID host last year's MLP Fair and they've been providing con exclusives that are specifically targeted to the collector community for years.  Toys that reflect the show are just another aspect of their awareness of the collector community.

I'm actually most excited about the Zecora toy out of these.  She's certainly a major enough character to have her own toy, and she's an awesome character.

Elf

That's very true  :)  It's just rarely have we ever seen mass-marketed toys like this end up on the shelves. Like you said the closest nod we had before was the fair and the fair exclusive, which were available to a very limited number of people. It's just super nice to get an ever bigger and more public "hey you exist" nod.

I looove that Zecora will be glow in the dark as well, I think it's fitting for her mysterious persona.

Offline Squirrelypaws

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 11:28:23 AM »
I have a feeling that this line is going to be 1) more expensive and 2) collector aimed.

My thoughts exactly. That's what I meant when I said it felt like these were catering to the brony fanbase; all of these characters have been done as customs, and they sell for insane prices. To me, it really seems like they're thinking "Okay, customs of these characters are big sellers, let's make an expensive, exclusive collector's line of official ones and rake in the dough from that side of the fanbase."

I love these, I really do, and I hope to be able to get some of them. But I just can't help but feel like they're only doing them because they want to cash in on the brony-fueled popularity of these particular characters.
**Formerly known as GryffindorHermione**
~*{Squirrely's Stuff For Sale}*~
Ponies ;; Dolls ;; Other Toys

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 11:41:58 AM »

^^ This. :/

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline Rika_of_Thunder

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 11:42:20 AM »
AJGKLDJAL;GJDKA;LF

AHFJDFKDALKFHDAJKFKODS

FAhfjkdakfdkaygueipJAKSHRDJLAF;KKFALHJFAKL

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD I AM LITERALLY SPAZZING OUT DJ PON3 TOY OH MY GOD I HAVE TO BE DREAMING WHAT IS THIS REALITY FAJKLDF;LAJFDKAJFKLD;AJ;LFJD;LAJFDSAFKL;HFDLAJK

EDIT: About people complaining this is catering to bronies.... How is it any different from the art ponies aimed exclusively at collectors??
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 11:44:41 AM by Rika_of_Thunder »

Offline babymoondust

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 11:44:11 AM »
Wow!  Hasbro made a villain into a toy for the first time in MLP's 30-year history!  That is incredible!!

And don't be hatin' on the bronies!  Bronies and old-school collectors have much in common.  Not least of which is that we want show-accurate toys.  I think the reason that bronies have successfully moved Hasbro to action is not because they screamed louder than collectors, but because their very numbers and output dwarfs that of the traditional adult collector demographic.  There are tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of bronies worldwide, and the numbers just continue to grow.  Us collectors number in, what, perhaps a few thousand?
And bronies are incredibly prolific in showing their passion for the show - the quality and volume of fanworks is astounding.  Fanart, comics, music, fanfics, customs, plushies, PMVs, original animation - it's mind-blowing how much media is produced as a response to this show.  After months of continued, never-waning passion for the series, of course Hasbro is gonna sit up and take notice of this demographic, and assess them as a potential market.  I'm so happy they finally responded with some of the "most-wanted" merchandise, e.g. a white Celestia.

I really hope they produce enough toys to meet demand - I'm sure many a Toys R Us store is going to be swamped come autumn.  LOL!  And lets also hope that these toys sell well enough to encourage more "waves" of fan favorites made into official figurines.  I haven't been this excited for upcoming MLP merchandise in a very long time!  :D

^ THIS!! ....All the way to the bank, and then all the way to Toys R Us! ^^

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 11:49:22 AM »

Elf

That's very true  :)  It's just rarely have we ever seen mass-marketed toys like this end up on the shelves. Like you said the closest nod we had before was the fair and the fair exclusive, which were available to a very limited number of people. It's just super nice to get an ever bigger and more public "hey you exist" nod.

I looove that Zecora will be glow in the dark as well, I think it's fitting for her mysterious persona.

There were also the Art ponies like the Junko Mizuno pony. I know they showed up more in places like comic and collector shops but they were still more widely available than the Fair or SDCC ponies.

Except for DJ PON3, I can see these as appealing to kids too. I loved Glow in the Dark things as a kid (and still do).
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Lancer

• Trade Count: (+164)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Diary of a Daydreamer
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 11:54:06 AM »
Ugh, seriously?  This is getting a little much.  Hasbro had clearly stated that white Celestia was not on the cards.  Now they've gone back on their word, proving again that if you whine, bully and send enough hate mail, you can get what you want even if the powers that be said "no".

For years, we have asked for Sea Ponies, boys, or ANYTHING that wasn't Core Seven?  Did they listen?  No, of course not.  I guess we were too polite.

Okay, there are more "bronies" than there ever were of us.  But, from what I've seen, most of these guys do little to support Hasbro.  Many don't collect the toys, some even think the G4 toys are "UGLY OLDER GENS" because they "don't look like the cartoon".  A lot don't even get the Hub and download the show illegally from sites like Youtube.  So what possible benefit can they be to Hasbro (except maybe publicity for the MLP line...but if I were a parent and stumbled upon some of the clopfics/hate mail that come with those fans, I'd run a mile and take my pony-loving kids with me!)

Sorry for being negative, I'm glad G4 collectors, bronies and non-bronies alike, are getting some of the things they want but already I'm seeing the whiny "Where's teh :muffin: Pony and Doctor Whooooooves... *SOBS*  We can't have everything we want - Hasbro are so meeeeean!" comments popping up online.  Seriously?  You've got far more than we ever got in G3 days.

I dread to think what the next few hours and days hold for myself and my friend, who are already getting so much hate mail from self entitled bronies.  I wish Hasbro wouldn't continue to boost their egos by giving them what they want.  Hey, I know, maybe Hasbro's next trick should be to make a cute little playset out of the clopfic some sicko wrote about my persona being enslaved by her "husband" (my friend, who the self proclaimed "brony nazis" decided they despise for no reason) and my parents being killed in a horrific car crash.  After all, that should please the many "brony" fans who spread the story across the internet and drew fanart to go along with it...and that's all that matters nowadays. >.<

Once again, sorry if this offends anyone.  Feel free to delete or edit as you see fit.  I know I'm not a part of the G4 collecting community, and it's not really my place to comment in this thread anyway.  I'm just a little upset that MLP, the one thing that used to bring me so much pleasure, has become such a big source of stress. :sad:

BabyRainbou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 12:04:06 PM »
*dies*

This is one of the greatest moments in my young life, second only to the previous greatest pony moments in my young life.

My English is failing. I can have Zecora ojdrgfhgmsjgLgR<JbRtvru

Have I told you I love you, Arena? I do.

EDIT:  I feel bad for not helping to address my own worries about how this might fuel unpleasantness... Personally, I'm not a fan of most brony communities, being to opposed to the previous generations as they are (not to mention the numerous unsavory fanworks that can be all too easily stumbled upon by accident...), and I generally don't enjoy the hypocrisy some of them seem to exhibit.

But... I do think I'm going to attribute these recent offerings from Hasbro on the Good Fans™, and to the collectors whose children helped convince Hasbro to bring the ponies back at all. So while there's a lot of... ick out there, we have to remember that there is also good along with it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 12:37:36 PM by BabyRainbou »

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 12:05:14 PM »

I want Zecora!!!! And Nightmare Moon!!!

I hope these aren't too expensive though. I passed up some Sonic the Hedgehog toys aimed at collectors because of the price, and I don't want to have to pass up these too. I also really dislike TRU for their really obvious segregation of boys and girls toys. But I guess I can make an exception for this.

Lancer, I know how you feel...I guess I'm happy they're finally listening, but I agree that it feels like the new crowd comes along and suddenly Hasbro listens when the rest of us have been trying to get their attention and are still kind of ignored. But I don't know what went into Hasbro's decision, so as uncomfortable as the situation makes me, I don't know if I should really be upset or not. Certainly, I'm a little upset the collecting community didn't get the news first, but I don't think Hasbro is aware of the fan community dynamics either.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 12:10:30 PM by Elisto »

emera_lazzaly

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 12:16:14 PM »
I'm so excited! Celestia looks so beautiful! I was just explaining to my husband why I didn't want the pink one LOL! And the new ponies are so cute! I'm surprised at Nightmare Moon but she's pretty! And glow in the dark Zecora is awesome!

I do have a question though and I hope someone can explain it to me (don't judge, lol I just started collecting again after a few years off and collect both G1 and G4 and whatever else I find ). Just what is a brony and why is there so much arguing between bronies and collectors? I just don't get it

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal