collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Paint Matching Guide?  (Read 299 times)

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Paint Matching Guide?
« on: February 19, 2013, 12:24:03 AM »
I found skig's awesome hair matching website, and was wondering if anyone knows of a similar site for paint matching so it's easier to match paint to touch up cutie marks/eyes?  My Majesty, Moondancer and Minty all need their cutie marks touched up and I'm worried about using the wrong colours. I looked at glitter at Wal-mart tonight and I think I'm ok with Majesty & Moondancer as most of the glitter has come off their symbols, but Minty still has about half her symbols and I'm worried the paint won't match. Or should I just repaint over ALL the symbols to make sure they match? Help?

[moving to Customs ~ many thanks ~ hathorcat]
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 03:08:33 PM by hathorcat »

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
Re: Paint Matching Guide?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 06:50:03 AM »
I'm honestly not sure about the colour matches for those particular ponies. Hopefully someone else can help you! :)
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 07:11:05 AM »
You'll have to mix paint to match to that pony. If you know any former art students they'd be able to show you how to use a limited set of colours to mix any colour or shade easily.  :biggrin:  I'm sure even youtube may have some videos on the basics of this as well.

The problem with a paint matching guide is each pony not only will potentially be made in a different run, but also time and light/heat will change the paint, so even on someone like Majesty, you'll get many different shades. Pink and Purple paint are ones that are very sensitive to fading, pinks can fade to white or cream and purple shades of symbols can have the pink fade out and then they'll end up looking blue.

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 10:20:25 AM »
Thanks! That sucks!  :P  I'm useless with this kind of thing. :(  It's mostly Minty I'm worried about. I saw some glitter I think will work with the other two, but I'm worried about matching the green for Minty's clovers. Guess it's time for some experimentation!

CarnationTwirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 10:29:33 AM »
Mix the paint under as natural a light as you can get.  Sunlight is great, but if you have an ottlite or similar daylight emulating lamp you'll find that it goes a long way in paint matching.
I like to mix it all in a little sealable jar, so once I get the colour I need I don't have to go back and remix if I run out.  Writing down the ratio (X drops of this colour to Y drops of that) is a good idea too.  I like to do test swatches as I'm mixing and give them a chance to dry because sometimes colours will change slightly once dry.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal