collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help with identification G1 Glory & Moondancer- 2 releases?  (Read 1083 times)

Offline mngusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Help with identification G1 Glory & Moondancer- 2 releases?
« on: January 27, 2013, 06:39:52 PM »
Hi pony people!
I was doing inventory on my G1 collection using my trusty G1 Collectors Guide written by Summer Hayes :) and I realized that she has listed 2 releases of Glory & Moondancer (I overlooked because of no pictures on the second release).  Can anyone help me figure out if there is a way to tell the differnces between the first set and the second set?  I have 5 Moondancers and 1 Glory and all their hooves are marked 1983.  Any help would be great!  Thanks!

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Help with identification G1 Glory & Moondancer- 2 releases?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 06:44:49 PM »

I could be wrong but I don't think there is a way to tell.  If you compare a bunch of Glorys and Moondancers you may find some variation in the chunkiness of their symbols, but I've also noticed this for Twilight, Sunbeam, and straight-haired Firefly and Medley, so it seems this isn't a Year 2/3 difference.  They both came with a moon comb rather than a star brush, but again I think the bodies were identical.
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 08:24:50 PM »
They were released once in Year 2 and once in Year 3, but there's no way to tell the releases apart.  They're exactly the same, just their backcard and accessories were different.  There were also rereleases of some of the Rainbow ponies from Year 2 to Year 3--I know Starshine was rereleased and also Parasol and a few others, I think.

Now the rereleases of Medley, Firefly, Applejack, and Bow-Tie you can tell apart, because they have longer, curly hair, whereas the first releases had shorter, straight hair.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 12:23:57 PM »
There are actually quite a lot of ponies which found themselves released twice in first and second editions of sets - including the Glory and Moondancer you mention.

The year under the hoof is the year the mould was made - so whether its Glory in Year 2 or Glory in Year 3 she has the same date. :)

Unfortunately other than the fact they came with a crescent moon comb rather than a star brush there is no way to tell the ponies apart from one year or the other.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »
there is a different in glory's, i was lucky enough to get them both with their original comb/brush and iv been through armys of them to spot the difference, the symbols can be a little inconstant but its the blue streak in their mane, one was a light blue and the other a darker blue and it wasn't the discoloration over time as that can have a greenish tinge because both were a crisp NM blue. i think the thickness of them was different too, i can pull my glory army out if you want :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 04:21:47 PM »
Pictures would be amazing if you have them! I owned both Moondancers and the second release Glory MOC but honestly noted absolutely no difference between the MOC or my loose Glory and MOC, it would be great to see a difference!
Loa is my love god!

Offline mngusty

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 06:08:37 PM »
Wow, thanks for all your help!  If you wouldn't mind shabbychicdee, I would love you to compare the mane's again for me!  It's hard when you're trying to complete a collection and you can't tell the differnces!  Mine were found loose, so comb identification won't work for me.  Maybe, some day after I win a big lottery, I can own both MIB/MOC and then I'll know FOR SURE that I have them both, lol :)

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 07:25:45 PM »
I got a glory & Moondancer with the 2nd edition backcard and acc from a complete childhood collection, and have 2nd release Moondancer moc as well- no differences between the 83 Moondancer/Glory. There are variations between some of the 83' ponies though, some darker, some lighter etc.

Offline shabbychicdee

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 08:21:24 PM »
right i finally had a chance to take some pics. hopefully you can see the difference, the one in the middle has the darker thicker streak, she has slightly thicker eye paint too but probably nothing, all their symbols are different, slightly bigger star etc but it could be a factory flaw

i had more glory's but i think iv traded them and sold them.

they are all near mint with pretty much untouched hair so i don't think there is fading
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:30:59 PM by shabbychicdee »

wanted list
for trade

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 02:36:52 AM »
Great pics! It looks like there is a range of colours across the 3 of them shading from a greeny blue, greeny blue ish to a more regular blue. Both of those I had MOC in the past had the same colour it was the middle colour - i.e. similar to the pony on the right in the first picture. The couple I have loose now have a more aquaish tinge - to be honest I always thought it was more just a yellowing of the blue with time as happens with that blue colour a lot.
Loa is my love god!

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 09:20:23 AM »
Maybe you're right! I just chalked up lighter/darker/thicker/wider to run variations or fading because that colour is affected by light. But looking through my saved photographs from sellers/pre grooming the glory I bought with her moon comb and ribbon (all the ponies in that batch still had their childhood accessories) also has a darker blue streak. Once the rest of my collection arrives I'll try and compare the moondancers better. My early issues and MOC's 84's are still far away in storage. :(

bad piccy:

Offline shabbychicdee

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 11:13:50 AM »
im so jealous so many peeps have mocs of her, i really want a moc glory especially with moon comb as she was my first pony as a kid and so sentimental to me.
thats the darker one in the pic? gorgeous pic btw
btw the two glory's either side are exactly the same, it was just the one in the middle that was darker, might be lighting, i have a terrible cheap camera, im surprised it was able to pickup anything

wanted list
for trade

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 12:17:04 PM »
Glory is one of the last I need for the moon comb set MOC... Just missing Glory and Sparkler. I have gotten many, many 1 releases and a number of 2nd edition ones a few times from childhood collections I was given or bought. I have kept them all if they're in nice shape w/ accessories (any double gets wrapped with her acc so they don't get separated) so eventually I'll be able to compare all those Glory's and see if the blue stripe on a 84' release is consistent. Thank you, I just clipped it out of the picture I saved of a box of ponies w/acc I got years ago-the girl had a number of 84' girls in that lot. I did a crappy clip job, but yes, the stripe is darker.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 12:21:16 PM by FantasticFirefly »

Offline mngusty

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 10:06:49 AM »
Thanks for everyone's help!!  I really appreciate it :) You're all THE BEST :) :) :)

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 01:06:21 PM »
They were released once in Year 2 and once in Year 3, but there's no way to tell the releases apart.  They're exactly the same, just their backcard and accessories were different.  There were also rereleases of some of the Rainbow ponies from Year 2 to Year 3--I know Starshine was rereleased and also Parasol and a few others, I think.

Now the rereleases of Medley, Firefly, Applejack, and Bow-Tie you can tell apart, because they have longer, curly hair, whereas the first releases had shorter, straight hair.

What a  waste, Moondancer would have looked gorgeous with longer, curly hair too :(

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal