collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Selling one collection for another  (Read 971 times)

Offline PaintedHooves

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Dayna's Custom Ponies
Selling one collection for another
« on: November 06, 2012, 11:07:13 AM »
Pony collecting has become something rather special for me in the past few months, and while (or perhaps because of) I don't have many, I have this insatiable urge to buy more.  I have an old Beanie Baby collection that I've had since I was way little that's shoved in the back of my closet, taking up space.  I don't have the urge to crack the bins open and play with them anymore, but when I do, I still get that little smile back of "I remember this one!"  I'm honestly thinking of selling them and using the money to go towards ponies.  I'd probably keep the few that hold memories (like my first few I remember getting), but otherwise they hold little sentimental value.  I think I'd probably only feel bad because my parents spent so much money getting me all these beanies when I was young and now I'm just selling them off...

So my question to you all is: Have you ever done something like this?  Do/Did you regret it afterwards?

Also, does anyone know a good way to sell TYs?  I've been out of the scene for so long I have no idea what they're even worth anymore :P

[moving to Off Topic ~ many thanks ~ hathorcat]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 03:21:57 PM by hathorcat »

Offline dxgirly

• Trade Count: (+66)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • <3
    • View Profile
Re: Selling one collection for another
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 11:15:08 AM »
I sold parts of my video game collection for Monster High and ponies that I HAD to have right that minute, over the summer.... but I guess you could say I did regret it, because I ended up buying almost all of them back over time. My issue is that I need to learn to have patience when it comes to collecting, and stop trying to get everything RIGHT as it comes out, but instead to buy the new things when my paycheck allows. It's also really silly of me to do, because I spend more money in the end because of it, and 99% of the things I buy are plentiful months later, and usually cheaper. :yikes:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 11:18:38 AM »
They're unfortunately not worth anything unless you actually have some super rare first edition. I don't think you'd get many ponies for them.

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 11:26:08 AM »
Why feel guilty about "wasting" the money spent on the collection by selling and recouping the costs?  It would make more sense to feel guilty about "wasting" the collection and the space it takes up by keeping it in a closet and not doing anything with it. 

Keep your favorites and memorable beanie babies and purge the rest if you don't get enjoyment out of them.  If they're just taking up space, they definitely are "wasting" the effort, time, and money spent on them. 

As I understand, there really isn't much of a collectible market for TY beanies except for a few exclusives, special releases, and characters, which you can likely find out by checking their tags.  See what they are running for on Ebay... maybe a lot sale?  Sadly, like a lot of fads in the 90's, they were called "collectible" and everyone went out and bought them; ultimately this made them "non-collectible".  Collectibles gain value by being HTF or much-looked-for.  If everyone has the Super Fancy Goose with Real Down Feathers, it's not worth much.  :( 

Maybe they'll make great stocking stuffers this Christmas?  I do hope you find a solution that makes you relieved and happy about them!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 11:29:14 AM »
I used to collect yugioh cards  :blush:  - whey back when (pause for fond memories of dueling  :think: ) but eventually it just hit me that I was no longer actually interested in them so I had a mass culling session only keeping my two main decks and a few of my Favorited sets. I did not get much for them but the money did go towards well ... ponies.

strange though I do find on the odd occasion that I am looking for new ones that go with the sets I kept (only so they remain complete.

hope this helps.....just don't do anything until you are sure though.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 11:34:09 AM »
Its sad but there is not much of a market for them anymore :(

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 11:50:28 AM »
Some of the money I got from selling off my Lolita clothes went to fund my pony collection. I miss some of my clothes because they were pretty and a few were gifts but I was barely wearing them anymore and the money I got from them was put to better use so I don't regret it. I'd rather have things I'm actively using/enjoying.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 12:06:06 PM by 3377345 »

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 11:54:17 AM »
I've sold other collections to pay for ponies too :) do whatever makes ya happy!
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

baby_yoyo

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 12:47:04 PM »
I can totally relate to this, I sold off all (apart from 2 very special ones) of my Pocket Dragons to raise funds for my degree (and use the extra for ponies :D). Sometimes I miss having them but in fairness they were all boxed up gathering dust and the majority were bought by my ex so it felt like getting rid of any trace of him (a good thing!)

The only thing I regret is selling my entire Muse collection, I had loads of first releases, limited editions....blah blah, but again it was to raise funds for my degree

Sorry going off track here! I think the advice given prior to this is perfect, the market completely crashed so their value in the most part is very little. I sold mine a few years ago at a car boot sale by wrapping them up in paper and doing a 'Lucky Dip' at £1.00 each, they all went! The kids loved it so that may be an idea :)

DirePony

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 01:19:42 PM »
My pony collection as well as a couple of pinball machines have been funded exclusively by selling off my One Piece Portrait of Pirates figures. I had almost the entire run of POP figures and if just seemed like it was a chore tracking down the new figures and I just didn't enjoy collecting them anymore. I just decided to get rid of all of it. I still love the One Piece anime but have no interest in the figures anymore. I made a ridiculous amount of money off of them which has allowed me to get pretty much any ponies I want and also let me add a couple more pinball machines to my gameroom.

As far as your Beanie Babies if they are just sitting in bins and not being enjoyed I would say keep the ones that are special to you and sell the rest. If they aren't worth much donate them to Toys For Tots. That way they can go to a child who will love them as much as you did!

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 01:51:18 PM »
I have gone through a bunch of collections before I settled on ponies.  I think I was always looking for something to collect.  And while I've never sold my collection (none have been worth anything), I've certainly gotten rid of stuff I used to collect.

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 02:27:11 PM »
 I donated 90 percent of my Beanie Baby collection to Toys for Tots (or something similar, I think it was TfT) and haven't regretted it! There were way too many for me to love and appreciate all of them.  I kept the ones that meant a lot to me.  Since they're basically worthless in dollar value, maybe you could donate them and say "I deserve ponies for doing something so good."  :biggrin:
  If you do go the donation route, you should separate the ones that have been played with or ar in rough condition, if there are any, and give them to family/friends or to a thrift store rather than Toys for Tots.
  Remember how even back in the 90s Chops the Lamb was supposed to be so rare and expensive? A few months back I saw a bunch of him being sold at, of all places, a grocery store! It made me laugh.
I'll put something here some time

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 05:11:43 PM »
I've never sold one collection to pay for another. I'd be afraid I'd regret it. But that's because I've never really been over anything I've ever gotten into. If you really don't want them though then there's no reason not to get rid of them.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

PolkaDot99

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 08:11:30 PM »
I typed something really long and prob sound stupid to everyone so I will just say that I have sold off things to make money for my new collection because its literally the only way I can make money sometimes I do wish I didnt sell the things I have but mainly I am ok with it (sometimes I end up rebuying what I sold)  :blink:

Offline PaintedHooves

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Dayna's Custom Ponies
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 10:24:36 PM »
Thanks so much everyone!  I found a website that will pay $0.25 per beanie if sold in a lot, but they also offer individual prices for ones that they want.  I'll have to go through and see if I have anything valuable stashed away.  I really like the idea of having a "Lucky Dip" at a garage sale, that's pretty genius!  If I can't find anything to do with them, they'll probably be donated to Toys for Tots.  I can't thank you guys enough for all the great ideas :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal