collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Bronley's G4 Customs Ideas and Questions  (Read 1900 times)

Bronley

• Trade Count: (0)
Bronley's G4 Customs Ideas and Questions
« on: May 17, 2012, 04:27:38 PM »
I'm no real artist, but I'm considering doing some customizing (possibly with some commissioned help on parts). I thought I'd write down my ideas/dreams here to share and maybe get some pointers/suggestions.

Here are some of the things I'd like to do (but don't have the supplies/skills/time so far to do myself, so probably need commissioned help):

In general, I'd probably want at least 2 of each done (one for me, and one for my brother). I'd provide the bait pony and do what prep/finish work I can as well.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

^^Inspiration by EQSilverbolt
Inspiration: Custom My Little Pony Blind Bag :muffin: Pony Tutorial by slifertheskydragon
1. Blind Bag Lily Blossom -> :muffin: Pony Hooves. Strip old paint, paint body, paint mane/tail, paint eyes/bubbles cutie mark.

I actually started on this a little bit (Acetoned a Lily Blossom, but nicked her up pretty bad with a toothbrush trying to get the paint out of the crevices. Will try to re-paint her and see how bad the nicks look, but been busy).

I could prep the pony before sending it to the commissioned artist, since I've now had experience with that.

Looking closely at screenshots, :muffin: Pony is a blueish grey color, but I was going to just use white paint with a little black in it to make grey. I didn't buy any blue to add. The commissioned artist will probably have better supplies already and could match her closely.

^^Inspiration (don't recall who made this one, sorry)

^^Inspiration by kaizerin
2. 2012 McD Rainbow Dash -> :muffin: Pony Hooves. Remove hookpoint from top of head, remove tail, strip old paint, paint body, paint mane, paint eyes/bubbles cutie mark, glue in replacement tail.

I can prep up to the painting steps.

G4 McD ponies' tails start as a bunch of nylon(?) hair with a metal crimp in the middle. The hair is folded at the crimp and the crimp is glued into the tail hole in the plastic toy. To remove the old tail, pull one strand at a time out of the crimp (or multiple strands, just have to all be separate strands not both ends of the same strand).

The replacement tail could be done the same way as the original: metal crimp or glued spot in the middle of a bunch of hair, then glue the crimp/glued spot into the tail hole.

If the commissioned artist already has pony hair of the right color, that would be great. If not, I'm considering chopping the tail out of a 2012 McD Lily Blossom for a "tail transplant", but I don't think the donor would survive. Since dollyhair.com looks a lot cheaper than I was fearing, I may source hair from there (or other custom pony artists here on the Arena).

If the commissioned artist already has the right hair, they could replace the tails. Or, I'll track down the hair and do that step.

^^Inspiration by MissSinger
3. 2011 McD pink Princess Celestia -> white Princess Celestia. Strip old paint, paint body, paint mane, paint eye/cutie mark/crown/necklace/shoes.

I can prep up to the painting steps.

^^Inspiration by JoshsPonyPrincess

4. 2011 McD Rarity -> The Great and Powerful Trixie. Would probably require custom sculpting to make her cape (and possibly hat). Or, might do her without cape and hat instead, so no sculpting needed (but would need the right hair color for replacement tail, since the tail would be visible).

^^Inspiration sold by cferretrun
5. Blind Bag Rarity (or similar shaped Blind Bag) -> The Great and Powerful Trixie. Strip old paint, paint body, paint mane/tail, paint eyes/cutie mark.

^^Inspiration: Fluffle Puff by Mixermike622.

^^Crappy concept image

^^Fixed face detail

6. Super furry pillow from Walmart -> Fluffy Pony Pillow. Round corners of pillow some, cut face hole in one end, sew 4 hooves of new cloth sticking not far out the bottom, get embroidered face on new cloth and sew into face hole, sew and attach fluffy ears from fluffy scraps from face/corners.

Bait: your zone 20" x 26" fur pillow from Walmart ($9.88 each; I got a black one, teal one, and pink one). Got some pink and teal shiny fabric from Walmart, but not sure if I want to find some Minky instead (and need black too).

Also got a smaller pink your zone eyelash toss-it pillow which could be used for a different feeling material (for ears or hooves) or make another smaller Fluffy Pony out of it (maybe a foal?).

Face: Need to see about getting the face embroidered, possibly by E the Pony Or, print iron-on instead?

^^Concept test

7. G4 Pinkie Pie -> Fluffle Puff the Fluffy Pony. Remove mane and tail, dye cotton balls pink, pull tufts of cotton from balls and glue to pony until covered.

Same inspiration as #6. Have the cotton balls, pink Rit Dye, glue gun, bait Pinkie Pie. Haven't found the time to dye and glue.
Update: dying the cotton now.

Update 2, 2012-May-18 2:58 AM: She's done!
Lessons learned for next time: unroll the cotton balls before dying, not after. Don't bake dry the cotton (browned edges).

Pictured with the prepped bald Rainbow for #8 below.

Update 3, 2012-May-18 1:55 PM: More pics over in a separate thread.

8. 2012 McD Rainbow Dash -> Fluffy Pony. Remove tail, carve off sculpted mane, remove remaining paint except for eyes, dye cotton balls blue, pull tufts of cotton from balls and glue to pony until covered.

Same inspiration as #6. Have the cotton balls, blue Rit Dye, glue gun, bait McD Rainbow Dash. Removed tail, carved off mane, removed paint except eyes. Haven't found the time to dye and glue.

Update 2012-May-31 2:37 PM: She is finished!

More info, crafting steps, and pics here:
Coo Nim the Fluffy Pony

^^Inspiration, unknown author
Added 2012-May-21 2:33 PM
9. 2011 McD pink Princess Celestia -> Nightmare Moon. Strip old paint and remove tail, paint body, paint mane, paint eye/cutie mark/crown/necklace/shoes, glue in new tail.

I prepped up to the painting steps.

Will need to source the hair.

Post Merge: May 17, 2012, 06:53:56 PM

Some questions:

1-5a: Any estimates on how much I should expect to pay someone to help on each of these?

1-5b: Anyone want to help with one or more of these?

2c: What's the correct hair color match for :muffin: Pony?
2d: How much hair will I need per McD pony tail?
2e: Anyone have spare hair of the correct color they want to sell to me? Or, baity McD Lilly Petals for cheap? (Probably should post this part in the Want to Buy section).

4c: What's the correct hair color match for Trixie?
4d: Anyone have spare hair of the correct color they want to sell to me?

6c: Embroidered face or iron-on? Which would you rather snuggle with?
6d: Shiny smooth fabric or Minky for face/hooves? Stopped at a quilting shop near my house and they referred me to a store that should have a good selection of Minky.

Thinking Minky for face and legs, smooth fabric for the pads of the hooves.

7-8c: I think these will come out neat looking, but will be very delicate (not even sure how to hold them without matting down the cotton tufts). Suggestions or alternate forms of fluff for a Fluffy Pony?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 01:40:45 PM by Bronley »

Offline Ellis1342

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Doodle or do not doodle! There is no artist block!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
Re: Bronley's G4 Customs Ideas and Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 07:32:56 PM »
I will try and answer these the best to my abilities!

1-5a: Any estimates on how much I should expect to pay someone to help on each of these? For the simple repaints of the McPonies or the Blind bags I would say 15 if you provide the bait, prepped or not.

1-5b: Anyone want to help with one or more of these? I can handle most of them. Not sure bout the plush.

2c: What's the correct hair color match for :muffin: Pony? Golden Delicious should be close
2d: How much hair will I need per McD pony tail? Not a whole lot. Its kind of something you eyeball.
2e: Anyone have spare hair of the correct color they want to sell to me? Or, baity McD Lilly Petals for cheap? check the dolly hair trade thread

4c: What's the correct hair color match for Trixie? Daiquiri Ice from Dollyhair.com
4d: Anyone have spare hair of the correct color they want to sell to me? Again check the dollyhair trade thread

6c: Embroidered face or iron-on? Which would you rather snuggle with? I would say embroidered. Iron on will wear down and flake with use.
6d: Shiny smooth fabric or Minky for face/hooves? Stopped at a quilting shop near my house and they referred me to a store that should have a good selection of Minky. Minky

Thinking Minky for face and legs, smooth fabric for the pads of the hooves. Just minky all the way. No need to switch out. Besides, shiny fabric is terrible to sew

7-8c: I think these will come out neat looking, but will be very delicate (not even sure how to hold them without matting down the cotton tufts). Suggestions or alternate forms of fluff for a Fluffy Pony? Flocking like a so soft pony. If your looking for something fluffy like a sheep, then maybe roving?

Argentum-Zeena

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 07:51:12 PM »
Hey there :) I could do any of the 1-5 (and possibly 7 and 8). I'm pretty new to sewing, so I doubt I'd be of any help on 6 lol. Price-wise, I think $5 for Blind Bag and $9 for McD ponies sounds alright.

In response to a couple of your questions at the bottom:
2c- I think the hair used for Applejack looks pretty close to :muffin: Pony's. I have some hair that color if you need it, free of charge.

7-8c: As an alternative to cotton balls, you could use those little fuzzy balls usually found in the kids craft section of stores. I'm certain I've seen some pink ones before (sorry for the horrid description, my mind kind of blanked :p)

Bronley

Re: Bronley\\\\\\\'s G4 Customs Ideas and Questions
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 07:53:11 PM »
Thanks much for the answers Ellis1342!

On 2d: How much as in how much of a 'hank' do I need per McD pony do you think? 1 hank per 4 ponies?

I also updated the post with images of my inspiration. Will add more WIP images as I go.

Post Merge: May 17, 2012, 09:05:39 PM

Hey there :) I could do any of the 1-5 (and possibly 7 and 8). I'm pretty new to sewing, so I doubt I'd be of any help on 6 lol. Price-wise, I think $5 for Blind Bag and $9 for McD ponies sounds alright.

In response to a couple of your questions at the bottom:
2c- I think the hair used for Applejack looks pretty close to :muffin: Pony's. I have some hair that color if you need it, free of charge.

7-8c: As an alternative to cotton balls, you could use those little fuzzy balls usually found in the kids craft section of stores. I'm certain I've seen some pink ones before (sorry for the horrid description, my mind kind of blanked :p)
I'll email you about the commission work. Thanks!

You and Ellis1342 agree on :muffin: Pony's hair, since http://www.dollyhair.com/mlpnylonhair.htm says Golden Delicious is also what Apple Jack uses. So, that should be great!

I'm somewhat on my way to making 6 myself (got the plans sorted somewhat and know who I can borrow a sewing machine from).

7-8: Got my first batch of cotton balls dyed pink: since I planned on unrolling them anyway before pulling off tufts, I think I should have unrolled them dry before dying. Rinsed and unrolled them wet and then squeezed most of the water out when they were flat. Oven drying now to remove the rest of the water. Will see how matted the resulting tufts end up.

Also posted concept images in the main post.

Post Merge: May 18, 2012, 02:34:39 AM

Finished #7. Off to bed.

Post Merge: May 18, 2012, 12:19:48 PM

Question:
5c: For Blind Bag Trixie repaint, does it matter which pony I use for the base? #4 Rarity is white plastic, #16 Lemon Hearts is yellow plastic, #17 Cherry Spices is brown plastic, #18 Sweetie Swirl is pink plastic.

I have more spare of Lemon Hearts (yellow plastic): any problem using her as the base, or will the yellow be likely to show through the paint?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 12:19:48 PM by Bronley »

Offline Ligress

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart! (art is not updated but I am active to respond there!)
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 01:10:56 PM »
Do you have a deviantart or a facebook page? Must watch you!!
~ Have facebook? Selling or buying a custom pony, vintage toys  or pony extras?~
* MLP Extras for sale **http://www.facebook.com/groups/CUSTOMPONIES Vintage Toys BUY SELL TRADE *
Avatar Icon by L Correia My Ponysona Ligress

Bronley

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 01:23:33 PM »
Do you have a deviantart or a facebook page? Must watch you!!
Nope, just here so far. If you are following this thread, you are good-to-go.  :cool:

Bronley

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 01:39:30 PM »
Added #9 (Nightmare Moon from McD Princess Celestia).

Anyone able to match what the hair is in the Inspiration pic, or suggest better for Nightmare Moon?

Searching I see suggestions such as:
"DH Nylon After Midnight or Forget-me-knot with some Starlight for sparkles"
"after midnight, pacific ocean, maybe a tiny bit of bobby blue, and some starlight"

Bronley

Bronley

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 04:28:16 PM »
For those following this thread, I completed another Fluffy Pony:
Bronley's Fourth Custom: Cheeto the Fluffy Pony

Offline Zenobiaa

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Just a little bit Ditzy Doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 07:14:04 PM »
2c. Actually, I believe most people use Dollyhair's Lemonade for Ditzy Doo hair. Lemonade is G4 AJ's hair color, and the one that matches Ditzy Doo; Golden Delicious matches G1 Applejack.

Help me find my grail: FS :muffin: Pony/Ditzy Doo Prototype

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal