collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: ran into a big problem while cleanng my Home Sweet Home set - fixable??  (Read 229 times)

Offline zeki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Magic Motion Pony
    • View Profile
So, I've been cleaning and restoring some of my favorite childhood toys, including my Home Sweet Home (version of the Show Stable) set. It's gone great until I figured I'd try to remove some age discolouration from the roof using Salon 40 hydrogen peroxide creme and sunlight. I've used the method with other sets and had great success, so I was really surprised and frustrated when after about half an hour in the sun, every spot that had the creme on it had seemingly been dyed with purple splotches.

https://imgur.com/a/bF4jTAJ

Can this be fixed? I'm pretty sad about it.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
sometimes the "stains" fade away over time BUT  it's always a risk when you start putting harsh chemicals on old plastics ... sometimes you make the problem worse.

lots of G1 collectors have had to start getting used to flaws, because trying to fix them can ruin the item...
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline zeki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Magic Motion Pony
    • View Profile
sometimes the "stains" fade away over time BUT  it's always a risk when you start putting harsh chemicals on old plastics ... sometimes you make the problem worse.

lots of G1 collectors have had to start getting used to flaws, because trying to fix them can ruin the item...

aw man :c There are some flaws I don't bother trying to fix, but since it had worked before, I wanted to try fixing the discolouration

Is it worth trying sun fading on these stains?

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Sun fading might make it worse but you could isolate one spot and cover the rest of it and see if it makes it better or worse.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal