collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Funko POP! MLP Figures/NFTs?  (Read 154 times)

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
Funko POP! MLP Figures/NFTs?
« on: July 12, 2022, 01:20:38 PM »
I spotted this on a listing of releases for June 2022:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

(Sorry it's so small, that's literally how big the image was!)

I have POP!s but the Digital part confuses me. I'll need to ask the community for calrification, but this page implies there is also a physical POP! as well.

Why?! I just want a Princess Luna POP!, why do I have to pay for some stupid non-physical card?!

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
Re: Funko POP! MLP Figures/NFTs?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 03:07:17 PM »
this page is confusing to me. it says "Collect any Digital Pop!™ of the Legendary or Grail rarities and become eligible to redeem for a rare, exclusive physical collectible that matches the Digital Pop!™" but when i click through it looks like not all cards have physical Funko Pops available. it seems like they're trying to get money for digital art while not producing as much physical product.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 03:15:05 PM »
That's what's confused me. I'd understand trading a rare NFT for a special edition POP! (well, okay, no I would not as I do not like NFTs as a concept), but this seems like needless bottlenecking and there's no way you can't make sure no-one sells one to their mate through the back door of whatever retailer will stock them/Funko's own warehouse

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 04:03:46 PM »
I'm on mobile, hopefully this is coherent!

Here's the dealio:

Funko had an nft drop a little while ago, people could buy packs of what were essentially online trading cards (of course these are the nfts ). There were a limited number of cards distributed, and each pack contained five. I believe each pack costs about $10.

Most of the cards, the very common cards, were simply nfts with no physical equivalent. I know they had a site that showed the odds for getting each kind of card, the overwhelming majority of these cards are the common cards.

The big draw for people, is that some of these cards, the most rare cards, would allow the owner to purchase a matching NFT. Rarity, for example, is the rarest kind of card and had the fewest number of physical pops produced due to her Rarity LOL. The other ponies, four of them, were Sunset Shimmer, Queen Chrysalis, Maud pie, and princess Luna. All were attached to very rare pulls but had about 1500 each produced.

The final pop, the spike wearing some sort of Funko mascot garb, is a reward for completing all of either the common card collection or the full card collection. This feels more difficult to me than obtaining a 1% chance card, although I remember they produce quite a few of those so maybe they were expecting a lot of people to go for a full completion.

What I don't know is if the people who unlocked these physical pops still had to go and pay the $15 or whatever in order to buy them, I have the feeling that people who are were gunning for these very hard to find pops would have sunk lots of money into them so I feel like Funko could afford to simply distribute these for free.

I'm also not sure if any of the full packs are available to purchase, I did not see much interest in purchasing this pack from either the bronies on Twitter or anyone related to any announcements that I saw on Twitter or Instagram. I understand Funko is a gigantic company with a ton of fans, although the nft situation is very divisive and I'm sure it's lost them some loyal customers, and I'm not sure how many of their still loyal customers are into both ponies and nfts and have enough income that they are willing to spend the money on these in order to get a chance at getting these pops.

Admittedly if it weren't linked to nfts, I'm a bit of a sucker for digital collectibles, so I could see myself picking up a few packs just to at least have some sort of digital collectible, the Funko Pop would be a bonus as I don't like Funko pops very much. I did see a lot of outrage because we're already had not had a normal Funko Pop release in any capacity, so this is currently the only way to get Rarity as a Funko pop.

I'm using the speech to text function on my phone because I'm at work but I do have a lot of interest in nft's, although not a positive interest, so I did a little bit of digging and a lot of thinking about this. We did talk about this in the out now and coming soon thread if you scroll back you can see some of our initial reactions, and a little bit of discussion. at this point I'm not sure if anyone has these in hand, it seems like there would be a little bit of a waiting period, about 45 days between the nfts becoming released and the shipment of the Funko pops, probably to allow people to have a bit of a grace period for trading, maybe if someone had gotten one of the rare nfts of a character they don't care for, they could trade for one they do care for, so it may be a bit longer before we even start seeing these coming up and start seeing the market prices for these.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Eskara1862

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+172)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Fern Fiend
    • View Profile
    • The New Gray Mare
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 05:33:52 PM »
Yeah... I refuse to support anything doing NFTs. The whole thing with buying digital cards for a 1% chance of getting a physical figure is just gambling.

Offline Kitcatepic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • I've been living in the state of dreaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 06:43:26 PM »
I love Chrysalis so much but I'm not doing the stupid not gambling for her this is unacceptable for a children's franchise
long live chrysalis

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2022, 06:47:06 AM »
I did the math and you'd have to pay an average of $200 to win one POP.

It's so greedy.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2022, 07:59:02 AM »
yeah i really don't like anything to do with NFTs. too bad Funko Pop is jumping on that bandwagon.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2022, 08:15:09 AM »
Even setting aside the NFT thing, it just seems like a lot of effort for very little pay-off, if I'm wording that right - assuming you're after the actual figures, I mean. If I'm understanding it correctly, unless you're insanely lucky, you'd have to put a lot of money in to even have a chance of getting a physical figure. It sucks since I'd totally have bought that Maud figure, maybe the Chrysalis too, but hell no I'm not playing roulette for a toy. Don't really get why they couldn't have just released them normally, or even just had them as blindboxes or something if they were THAT set on the random thing. Very weird.

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2022, 09:31:46 AM »
Thank you so much TailRustedTealeaf, that makes sense. In a way  :lol: It doesn't make sense that Funko would do this. This just seems like a system that is RIPE for scamming; I was hoping it would be a case of get a physical POP! with a code, and the code puts you in for a NFT with a chance of a rare one but no ...

There is no way this cannot go pearshaped, and it seems needlessly cruel doing it with ponies that could sell pretty well if you just put them up for sale like regular POP!s. Sure, have Freddy Funko Spike be a LE or something, but let Luna fans get Luna without jumping through all these hoops!

(Also disappointed she's got her S1 look and not have a combo light blue-dark blue look to mimic her S2+ look)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2022, 10:50:18 AM »
Yeah, it's weird since I'm sure these would sell just fine if they sold them the normal way.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2022, 01:16:31 PM »
I'm on my laptop so I checked on the site.

The initial drop of NFTs is sold out, but you can still purchase things secondhand. Redemption for physical goods will be given out in late October, so there is time for people to swap their cards.

People are selling on eBay. Assuming these aren't scams (it's all a digital good so can be hard to tell), people are asking $200 to $400 for Rarity. Maud Pie is about $100.

Sig by Starscout <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal