collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Places to display your ponies?  (Read 773 times)

Offline Moonlight_Mystery

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Teeny Tiny Pony
    • View Profile
Places to display your ponies?
« on: March 04, 2022, 04:26:20 PM »
Hi all, I recently bought this DIY bookshelf thing from amazon? It's made out of mesh and metal rods, you're supposed  to put them into the plastic and it shapes like a bookshelf but sadly it was really flimsy and the pieces didn't even stay together  :huh:
I probably have about 40 ponies sitting in a box right now. I have no room for another bookshelf cause I live in a condo. What should I do? Where do you guys put your ponies?
“Animals don't behave like men,' he said. 'If they have to fight, they fight; and if they have to kill they kill. But they don't sit down and set their wits to work to devise ways of spoiling other creatures' lives and hurting them. They have dignity and animality.”
<3
[it/its] pronouns

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Places to display your ponies?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 07:45:39 PM »
All over my room...I just picked up a new shelf today from a store going out of business. I get shelves from all over the place...thrift stores, Ikea, random stores that just happen to sell shelves. I also have shelves on my walls, I find these can be really space-efficient but I'm not sure if you're able to put shelves onto walls where you are!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 09:24:12 PM »
Around 5/6 of them live in big plastic tubs that stack, wrapped in acid free tissue. The others go in glass fronted cabinet in my bedroom. I rotate them and check them about once a year.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2022, 02:28:32 AM »
Currently, I have some bookshelves with glass doors for most of my display ponies, but that’s not always been the case. 

If you have an Ikea, there are A LOT of options there, and I recommend really looking around if you can go.  If you’re allowed to drill into the walls to put up things, there a a lot of options. I do have an Ikea wall cabinet(they sell a wall cabinet with glass doors from the same line as my shelves).  The cabinet can hold a fair amount of ponies, and the top of it can be used for a display with some playsets.  I used to have wall shelves(easy to find at any hardware store, amazon, and many more general stores like Target - white ones with white brackets are common, as are glass ones with fancy brackets).   I’ve seen people hang Flutters and Windy/Summerwings from the ceiling with filament/fishing line.  Make sure you hang them in the studs as much as you can, especially the wall cabinet.  Wall anchors are just not good enough for a cabinet.

I put pony displays on the tops of my book shelves, and I’ve had major displays on my desk before.  Ikea sells stand-alone glass display cases that have a fairly small footprint, though if you really look, you might be able to find something similar somewhere else. 

If you need to store some ponies, I’ve had some good success with under bed bins and other plastic bins.  I’ve gotten a lot of holiday bins on clearance. Target often has holiday colored bins for Halloween and Christmas, and they’re often put on clearance with the rest of the holiday stuff for dirt cheap.  Well, at least they were back before the pandemic:/   Full price, non-holiday bins are great too obviously. 

If you have a Container Store near you, they often have all sorts of storage and display solutions.  Unfortunately, they can be stupid expensive, but it can be useful to go there and look around for ideas, and then try to find something similar online for cheaper.  Amazon has a lot of good storage and display solutions if you dig around. 

Hpoe that gave you a few ideas!

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2022, 07:03:11 AM »
I have mine on two shelves of a bookshelf. At the old house before we had all these bookshelves, I put some on top of my dresser and my desk had a nice top portion to it with a wraparound top shelf and I put a lot of my ponies and Lion King figures there.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Moonlight_Mystery

• Teeny Tiny Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 07:00:57 AM »
Around 5/6 of them live in big plastic tubs that stack, wrapped in acid free tissue. The others go in glass fronted cabinet in my bedroom. I rotate them and check them about once a year.

Most likely what I'm gonna have to end up doing lol. I have a ton of Webkinz as I use to collect them heavily as a kid and they're all just sitting in a tote but I can't part with them.

Post Merge: March 07, 2022, 07:02:02 AM

I have mine on two shelves of a bookshelf. At the old house before we had all these bookshelves, I put some on top of my dresser and my desk had a nice top portion to it with a wraparound top shelf and I put a lot of my ponies and Lion King figures there.

I wish I had room on my dresser! It's full of my spiritual and witchcraft stuff lol. I actually put a few of my bigger ponies on top of my bookshelf. What kind of lion king figures do you have? I know some are pretty pricey
“Animals don't behave like men,' he said. 'If they have to fight, they fight; and if they have to kill they kill. But they don't sit down and set their wits to work to devise ways of spoiling other creatures' lives and hurting them. They have dignity and animality.”
<3
[it/its] pronouns

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 02:36:18 PM »
My G2 and G3 ponies are predominately in the attic, aside the handful sitting on my unit or the row of G3s that live in front of my Jem cabinet.

My G1 ponies live in a big cupboard by my wardrobe, mostly.  The flutters and the windy/summer wings, plus the sosofts, live in an old cabinet that used to belong to my grandfather. He kept books in it - it might even have been my nan's, I'm not sure. But when he passed in 1999, Mum gave it to me for the ponies to live in.

The big cupboard has an impossible number of ponies in it. I made additional false shelves using refrigerator trays and stuff to create new levels. xD

I also have ponies on the top shelf over my wardrobe and in the cupboard over my sink. The top of the big cupboard and the one over the sink are mostly MIPs. There are some ponies over my Jem cabinet too.

My G4 live in front of Granddad's cabinet and on the bookcase. The MIB flutters live on top of the bookcase for their own safety.

My ponywear and accessories mostly live in plastic tubs under the sink. And my backcards and such live in the tall cupboard by my desk and the drawers under my bed.

That's pretty much the lot I think.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline toyjunky

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2022, 12:11:02 AM »
My answer for places to display your ponies is "everywhere". Much the same for other things I collect. On my desk, on bookshelves, in an Ikea cabinet, on counter tops, etc. We have a very collections are everywhere house.  :biggrin:

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2022, 08:51:37 AM »
While I don't have mine displayed right now (I'm on collecting hiatus due to some space issues), once we move I'm going to buy IKEA Billy bookcases. They are reasonably priced, and you can get glass doors for them so you can see your collection, but still keep dust off of it. I've had them in the past and liked them.

Online SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2022, 05:13:55 PM »
4 big shelves and three glass cases and a partrige with a pear treeee... :D

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2022, 05:30:49 AM »
normally they are kept on a Billy shelf. we're moving in a few weeks so right now they're packed up in plastic bins. i'm not sure where i'll put them next.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2022, 02:39:53 AM »
I have IKEA Detolf cases for mine. They're fairly small, look super neat since they're glass, and look good when you place a few of them together, too. PLaysets are in storage, though.

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal