collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I Bring You More G5 News  (Read 11137 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: I Bring You More G5 News
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2022, 10:06:45 AM »
MLP is interesting because if we're judging by the heads, G1 and G3 are the horsiest gens, very faithful, slightly anthro, interpretation of a horse's head.  But if we're judging by the bodies, G2 and G5 are the horsiest gens--being the ponies with the thinnest, longest legs compared to their bodies and with distinct hooves.

G3 is the only gen that tried to make the baby ponies horsey, like at all.  Foals have tiny jellybean bodies and long long legs, so that's what they gave them. All other gens have baby ponies that have the proportions of like . . . dogs.  And whatever the Teeny Tiny ponies and Newborn Cuties were.  (*whispers* Abominations.)

G4 isn't horsey at all with their toys, but their movements are pretty horsey in their show.  I remember in early seasons they'd sometimes dub in whinneys over their dialogue, that was cute.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 10:16:06 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2022, 10:09:03 AM »
MLP is interesting because if we're judging by the heads, G1 and G3 are the horsiest gens, very faithful, slightly anthro, interpretation of a horse's head.  But if we're judging by the bodies, G2 and G5 are the horsiest gens--being the ponies with the thinnest, longest legs compared to their bodies and with distinct hooves.

G4 isn't horsey at all with their toys, but their movements are pretty horsey in their show.  I remember in early seasons they'd sometimes dub in whinneys over their dialogue, that was cute.

I'll give you the legs. The Dream Beauties were the horsiest. I wonder why they didn't stick around long?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2022, 10:13:03 AM »
Oh yeah, I forgot about Dream Beauties . . . Yeah, they were very literally horses.  Even their mouths were very literally horsey which personally I thought was a bad choice, they look depressed because real horses don't smile.

I guess my take is I think a Dream Beauty is a beautiful toy to put on a shelf or decorate your dresser, but wouldn't be very fun to play with.  They're too big, their bodies are way more fragile than a "regular" MLP (any gen) and they just have less personality.  To me they are more like statuettes than toys.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 10:17:27 AM by LadyMoondancer »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2022, 10:16:53 AM »
Oh yeah, I forgot about Dream Beauties . . . Yeah, they were very literally horses, except with slightly larger eyes than a real horse.  Their mouths were very literally horsey which personally I thought was a bad choice, they look depressed because real horses don't smile.

I guess my take is I think a Dream Beauty is a beautiful toy to put on a shelf or decorate your dresser, but wouldn't be very fun to play with.  They're too big, their bodies are way more fragile than a "regular" MLP (any gen) and they just have less personality.  To me they are more like statuettes than toys.

Not so. Kids play with Breyers and FSF and other  (less sturdy) realistic horse toys like GC and KC. Although they're more for 7+.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 10:18:48 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2022, 10:20:26 AM »
I can see that.  I think they got better when they were show accurate (yes, I know the toyline is the "main thing" for MLP), but I remember seeing some of the G4 toys around the time I first got into the show (which was 2011, so they were likely at least relatively new) and they looked more like deer than anything, in my opinion.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2022, 10:23:24 AM »
My impression was Breyers are more to be collected by older kids (and adults.  Aren't they pretty spendy?  Except, like, the little Stablemates sets.  But those are small.

I dunno.  I don't remember ever seeing Breyers in Toys R Us, K-Mart, etc growing up, so to me they always seemed more like a specialty collectible than something to trot around and play with.  (Maybe they were in TRU and I just didn't pay attention, that's also possible.)  Also the fact that they're anatomically correct.  Which I don't mind at all, I mean they ARE literal horses.  But I feel like if they were aimed at eight year olds you'd have that certain kind of mom clutching their pearls.

Their pearl necklaces, that is.  Not the horse's pearls. :P

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2022, 10:49:04 AM »
My impression was Breyers are more to be collected by older kids (and adults.  Aren't they pretty spendy?  Except, like, the little Stablemates sets.  But those are small.

I dunno.  I don't remember ever seeing Breyers in Toys R Us, K-Mart, etc growing up, so to me they always seemed more like a specialty collectible than something to trot around and play with.  (Maybe they were in TRU and I just didn't pay attention, that's also possible.)  Also the fact that they're anatomically correct.  Which I don't mind at all, I mean they ARE literal horses.  But I feel like if they were aimed at eight year olds you'd have that certain kind of mom clutching their pearls.

Their pearl necklaces, that is.  Not the horse's pearls. :P

:lmao:

Offline BubbleTea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2022, 11:38:45 AM »
It's probably a coincidence, but I want to believe this is Seashell.  Or like, her daughter.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Body, hair, and eyes are the right color, she has a tail ribbon and that's also the right color.  Her symbol is a seashell + 2 stars.  She doesn't have a white blaze but does have white leg markings.

Ohh, nice catch, LM! Considering "Posey Bloom," I would be surprised if this girl was not at least inspired by Seashell.

AHHHHHHH FINALLY!!! IT'S HER!!!

you're right about the posey bloom thing. they're definitely bringing back g1 characters just *slightly* different, the same way they did with that secret ring series. If they ever decided to name her it'd probably be something like "Seashell Shores"
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2022, 11:43:29 AM »
Don't be reasonable Bubble Tea. They'll give her a much more indicative name like Glitter Flower, or Dazzle-rina-Sweetiekins.

;)

Offline BubbleTea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2022, 11:47:45 AM »
Don't be reasonable Bubble Tea. They'll give her a much more indicative name like Glitter Flower, or Dazzle-rina-Sweetiekins.

;)

oh right :P
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2022, 11:50:50 AM »
I think Conch Shell would be a nice name for her. She might end up in one of the Polly Pony Pocket playsets. Though I'd like to see her with a nice mane and tailful of Lucky Clover hair. Or if she has to be a moulded hair pony, they can use the same green that they used for Shutter Snap.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2022, 07:58:20 AM »
So what did you guys think? It's not as bad as I expected. The character puppets still look weird and jarring, and, with the legs, it's honestly even worse in motion. However, the backgrounds are pretty and do make up for it a bit. The new voices aren't too bad either.

I couldn't bring myself to watch the first ep to the finish. I just can't get over the artstyle and the animation isn't my cup of tea either. It's just that kind of paint-by-numbers "all cartoons look like this now" feeling I get when looking at it.
That's not to bash the animators, btw. Animation is a thankless industry. But I hate looking at it :P

And I gotta say, as someone who doesn't mind and even sometimes likes beanmouths... the beanmouths on the ponies look weird. Especially on Zipp, who is more angular. Beanmouth only really works when everything about the character is rounded. And don't get me started on the sidemouth beanmouths... it's like two kinds of mouth rolled into one terrible, annoying mouth.

Mouth.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2022, 11:06:37 PM »

G5 Posey!  This episode isn't fully uploaded, just a song from it.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2022, 05:45:55 AM »
I like that they kept her symbol pretty much exactly the same, instead of redesigning it. That's nice.

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2022, 05:59:59 AM »
She looked better in G1.
Inka Dinka Doo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal