collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Baby Lickety Split

Have a version
23 (50%)
Want a version
10 (21.7%)
Army
3 (6.5%)
New to me
1 (2.2%)
Gonna think some more
9 (19.6%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: June 20, 2020, 06:04:28 AM

Author Topic: POTD 6/15/2020 Baby Lickety Split  (Read 2907 times)

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: POTD 6/15/2020 Baby Lickety Split
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2020, 11:28:10 PM »
I'm so happy that Baby Lickety Split is the POTD today...I actually drew a picture of her in her rainbow leotard she wore in the movie today as part of a birthday card for my son!

I also have a small army of her, but they are all BBE and at least one is bait. I'm thinking of using the baity one to try my hand at converting her to a NBBE version...I found a tutorial somewhere. So disappointing that they couldn't have made a regular version of her, being their star of the movie and all. I really don't like BBEs, but I dislike FTs even more.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2020, 11:51:29 PM »
So, for clarity, Baby Lickety Split is a Play and Care Set Baby, a Beddy Bye Eye Baby and a First Tooth baby. Three separate things, all with their own clear set identifiers. So there is BBE Baby Lickety, FT Baby Lickety and PACS baby Lickety. There is NOT 'NBBE' Baby Lickety.

Hasbro didn't make 'non-' ponies.

Now I got that out of the way.

I have FIRST TOOTH baby Lickety Split. I also have PLAY AND CARE SET Baby Lickety Split MIB.
And I have a BEDDY BYE EYE one as well.

So that's three for me.

My sister has a loose PLAY AND CARE SET one. I am not sure if she has the others.

Trivia - in one pony comic, PLAY AND CARE SET Baby Lickety introduces FIRST TOOTH baby Lickety as her cousin :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 11:53:44 PM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2020, 12:51:48 AM »
I have the Play and Care version, she was horribly dirty when I got her but she cleaned up really well and still has pink hair.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2020, 05:50:05 AM »
Sorry about that...I didn't realize there was another version other than the BBE and First Tooth ones. I'm not familiar with the Play and Care Set term, maybe those weren't released where I live. I'm curious though now, I'll have to look her up to see what she looks like.

I have seen baby ponies before online without BBEs that (to my previous knowledge) usually came with BBEs, such as babies Ribbon and Lofty. They were in different poses than the BBE ones I was familiar with and I liked them. I just never knew what they were called though, maybe those are the PAC sets and I just didn't know the name. I've never seen a Baby Lickety made like this, I'd be excited to see her.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2020, 07:09:23 AM »
ehhh NBBE is a fine moniker in general, especially since not all of the NBBEs are Play and Care. But it is kind of an unwieldy name for Lickety since there's two versions of her that could be considered "NBBE".

Speaking of, does anyone have any pics of all three versions together? :D

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2020, 10:45:57 AM »
So, for clarity, Baby Lickety Split is a Play and Care Set Baby, a Beddy Bye Eye Baby and a First Tooth baby. Three separate things, all with their own clear set identifiers. So there is BBE Baby Lickety, FT Baby Lickety and PACS baby Lickety. There is NOT 'NBBE' Baby Lickety.

Hasbro didn't make 'non-' ponies.

Now I got that out of the way.

I have FIRST TOOTH baby Lickety Split. I also have PLAY AND CARE SET Baby Lickety Split MIB.
And I have a BEDDY BYE EYE one as well.

So that's three for me.

My sister has a loose PLAY AND CARE SET one. I am not sure if she has the others.

Trivia - in one pony comic, PLAY AND CARE SET Baby Lickety introduces FIRST TOOTH baby Lickety as her cousin :)

I was thinking about that comic when I saw Baby Lickety Split was the POTD. :D

I don’t own a Baby Lickety but I’d like to own either Play and Care or First Tooth Baby Lickety.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2020, 01:31:51 PM »
ehhh NBBE is a fine moniker in general, especially since not all of the NBBEs are Play and Care. But it is kind of an unwieldy name for Lickety since there's two versions of her that could be considered "NBBE".
I can see what you're saying - you mean Baby Half Note and Tiddly Winks and Cuddles, right? But if they came out first as regular versions, can they legitimately be called non-versions of something that came out later? I'm not sure about that myself tbh.

But when it's the PACS babies, there's really not an argument. PACS is four letters, the same as NBBE, and is actually correct. Even the Wiki uses the term, so it's well publicised and it's written in big letters on their box. So yeah. For ponies from the PACS set, it's not a valid term and I stand by that.

If a set is a non-something else it's implied it's an inferior copy of something sold somewhere else. It was fine in 1996, but it's not fine now we have both a global community and the knowledge to do better in how we share information with each other and newer collectors.

@Lady Amalthea, those are the ones :) Not Lofty, she was only sold in Brazil, but Ribbon, Gusty, Lickety Split and Heart Throb babies were sold in Europe as Play and Care Set babies. They had the same accessories as the BBE release, plus puffy stickers, but they didn't have beddy bye eyes. Those are the ones people call NBBE, but as I mentioned, they have their own proper set name and now we have enough information to know what it is.

NBBE was a term coined back in the mid 1990s when there was a much more binary divide between "US ponies" and "everywhere else" ponies. But now we know there are no "US ponies", terms that delineate sets as subordinated to ponies sold in the US are a bit of a nonsense. Particularly since they have proper set names and these are widely known.

To put it another way, if we started relabelling all the US sets based on what was sold in Europe, it would sound ridiculous. So it doesn't make sense now we have the proper knowledge to do it the other way around. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 01:35:01 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2020, 06:55:07 PM »
I can see what you're saying - you mean Baby Half Note and Tiddly Winks and Cuddles, right? But if they came out first as regular versions, can they legitimately be called non-versions of something that came out later? I'm not sure about that myself tbh.

I don't see why not! They don't have BBE = NBBE = makes sense to me. (Half Note's a weird case anyway, weren't the two versions of her sold at the same time, or something else odd like that?)

as for the rest, we'll have to agree to disagree *shrug* I think they're both fine and valid names (except for Lickety here, like I said :P in which case I completely agree that NBBE is a confusing term for her. God knows why they made three different versions of her). for me NBBE is a positive term since I can't stand BBEs... also I think it's kinda clearer than PACS. It's hardly the only unofficial term we use for ponies - and idk that I really agree with you terming it a "US-centric" term since we had BBEs over here too? (well "Lullabye eyes" but still) But like I said, agree to disagree.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2020, 07:21:23 PM »
I'm not really a fan of the pink-on-pink color scheme, so I don't have her or her mom.  However I do like first tooth babies and that pose is super cute...going to have to think more  ;) 

I don't see why not! They don't have BBE = NBBE = makes sense to me. (Half Note's a weird case anyway, weren't the two versions of her sold at the same time, or something else odd like that?)

as for the rest, we'll have to agree to disagree *shrug* I think they're both fine and valid names (except for Lickety here, like I said :P in which case I completely agree that NBBE is a confusing term for her. God knows why they made three different versions of her). for me NBBE is a positive term since I can't stand BBEs... also I think it's kinda clearer than PACS. It's hardly the only unofficial term we use for ponies - and idk that I really agree with you terming it a "US-centric" term since we had BBEs over here too? (well "Lullabye eyes" but still) But like I said, agree to disagree.

Ha ha, I also think of NBBE as a positive-sounding term because I don't care for most of the BBE ponies.  i suppose a different term could be used..."still eyes"???  To me it is just another physical descriptor, like "unicorn" or "Firefly pose." 
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2020, 10:00:12 PM »
Eh, to me there are not correct terms that are fine and inoffensive, like "Tales Ponies" for example. And those which are the opposite, because they're saying, "this pony is a version of a pony sold in America but it's missing something." "Tales Ponies" also doesn't doesn't misinform anyone, because it applies very simply to a limited set of 7 and we all know which ones. It's actually helpful because the set has multiple names across its two years of release. But these terms are not the same as that. They actually do the opposite.

Unless people would be OK with widespread adoption of set names like Non-Movie Star Ponies and Non-Play and Care Set Ponies, it's hard to argue any motivation for it other than geography. And the other problem is both the NBBE and NSS terms incorporate more ponies than the sets they attempt to describe. In both cases that leads to misinformation as well, which is my nemesis as you guys know. (I can't tell you how sick I am of people talking about this mythical UK NSS Posey, who then becomes Movie Star Posey when folk want to be placatory, although no such pony exists...but that's a whole other rant for another day).

It's not really an agree to disagree subject to me, honestly. It's just wrong information and when people who know better reinforce the wrong information, new collectors pick it up and it continues. If you dug up old versions of my site or even some of the old file names, you'll see that I used the terms as well for a long time until I realised they were causing misinformation and perpetuating the US pony-Everything Else divide which isn't a realistic representation of how MLP was sold on a global level. So I don't use those terms any more.

Non also doesn't become a positive term just because an individual person doesn't personally like the alternative. And with Baby Lickety it's often worse, as I've seen her described more than once as NBBE NFT Baby Lickety Split. As opposed to Play & Care Set Baby Lickety Split, which is what she actually is.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 10:04:52 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2020, 07:23:31 AM »
No one's saying "all the NBBEs were in one set", though...? Like SunPony said, it's a descriptor. Like deflock, brushable, etc.

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2020, 07:32:36 AM »
Eh, to me there are not correct terms that are fine and inoffensive, like "Tales Ponies" for example. And those which are the opposite, because they're saying, "this pony is a version of a pony sold in America but it's missing something." "Tales Ponies" also doesn't doesn't misinform anyone, because it applies very simply to a limited set of 7 and we all know which ones. It's actually helpful because the set has multiple names across its two years of release. But these terms are not the same as that. They actually do the opposite.

Unless people would be OK with widespread adoption of set names like Non-Movie Star Ponies and Non-Play and Care Set Ponies, it's hard to argue any motivation for it other than geography. And the other problem is both the NBBE and NSS terms incorporate more ponies than the sets they attempt to describe. In both cases that leads to misinformation as well, which is my nemesis as you guys know. (I can't tell you how sick I am of people talking about this mythical UK NSS Posey, who then becomes Movie Star Posey when folk want to be placatory, although no such pony exists...but that's a whole other rant for another day).

It's not really an agree to disagree subject to me, honestly. It's just wrong information and when people who know better reinforce the wrong information, new collectors pick it up and it continues. If you dug up old versions of my site or even some of the old file names, you'll see that I used the terms as well for a long time until I realised they were causing misinformation and perpetuating the US pony-Everything Else divide which isn't a realistic representation of how MLP was sold on a global level. So I don't use those terms any more.

Non also doesn't become a positive term just because an individual person doesn't personally like the alternative. And with Baby Lickety it's often worse, as I've seen her described more than once as NBBE NFT Baby Lickety Split. As opposed to Play & Care Set Baby Lickety Split, which is what she actually is.

Thank you for the information, this is all so interesting to me. I'm a newer collector (well, in terms of active adult collecting; I collected for years as a child in the 80's) so some of these terms I've picked up online (NBBE and NSS I believe I got from the terminology page on this site, even!) not knowing they were incorrect. I'll try to be mindful of what I call things as I learn. Before coming to this site, I never knew there were so many different versions of things...especially so softs; I knew about some like Lickety Split and Gusty, but didn't know until recently that ponies like Wind Whistler and Shady were also released without flocking.

I see what others are saying when they say they think of NNBE as a positive term, because many don't care for BBEs and prefer the ponies not to have them. But yes, from a language point of view, a 'non' label is a negative term. Perhaps 'standard' would be a good alternative in addition to the actual set names that exist (standard Gusty vs. SS Gusty, standard-eye Baby Half Note vs. BBE Baby Half Note).

Anyway...I looked up PACS Baby Lickety, and she is adorable. I'm adding her to my grail list. So Baby Shady must have been the only one from that wave that never had a regular-eyed version...too bad, I would like one of her.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2020, 07:55:28 AM »
Yeah, Baby Shady is a huge miss :( There's the lovely Brazilian Baby Lofty, but no Baby Shady. I would've loved her as a kid. There is a prototype image of her (ironically it's for the BBE set xD) but that's all.

I tend to call them the regular version, because that's what they are.

@Carrehz, if you read my post, you'll see that's a really good reason why not to use it.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2020, 08:01:29 AM »
I read your post and I still don't see what your problem is. Calling them "NBBE" or "BBE" or whatever is no different to calling them "the regular version" or anything else. No one's saying that's a set name or whatever it is you're trying to claim.

I mean, there's also nothing wrong with calling them "P&CS" or "Movie Star". But that's my point - they're all just different terms for the exact same thing. No one's coming after you for using those terms (and they shouldn't) so why do you care so much about what other people say? Isn't it tiring to post huge paragraphs every time someone uses a term you disagree with? Cause really, that's all it boils down to, personal preference.

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2020, 08:20:44 AM »
Baby LS is the only one I'm missing to complete my FT set. When it comes to ponies with fading pink hair I always struggle to find the right one.

I think NBBE and NSS are too ingrained into the community to ever go away. It's also necessary to have a term like that to specify which version you're talking about. For example if you just say "Baby Cuddles" people might not know which one you mean, but add BBE or NBBE and everyone knows instantly. "Play and Care Set" is not applicable in that case. You could of course say "regular eyes" instead of NBBE, but that might also cause confusion since it could depend on the person what they consider "regular".

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal