collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sunfading with a Lamp?  (Read 812 times)

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
Sunfading with a Lamp?
« on: March 01, 2020, 07:08:55 AM »
I just watched a tutorial online for fixing discolored plastic gaming consoles. The creator of the video used the same method that we do for sunfading ponies or playsets but instead of using the sun they used an indoor lamp.

Has anyone used a UV or LED grow lamp to fix discoloration on playsets or fade marks on ponies? I would love to hear your stories.

(They also used a hair dye product instead of straight up Hydrogen Peroxide which made me wonder if it was more like the dangerous zit cream or much better to use.)
~Foxtale~

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: Sunfading with a Lamp?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 07:39:20 AM »
well, computer parts are a different kind of plastics then pony plastic. So it's pretty much like sunfading, but controlled. I've done it with a dollfie dream with a cream, but not a pony (and it's a straight up no-no for creams on ponies).

The term coined for whitening old electronics is called retrobriting.  I watched these two things on youtube recently:

https://youtu.be/qZYbchvSUDY
^ this is interesting since it covers different methods. And that there's a theory the thing doesn't have to touch the peroxide?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdWRsjnVD3s
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 07:42:41 AM by banditpony »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 09:04:57 AM »
I'm certainly considering trying it out! I feel like we get a dreadfully small amount of sun over here.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Purpleglasses

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 10:00:33 PM »
I have never tried this with pony stains, but I used to work at a place that has white balanced lights. I brought in a pink haired Gingerbread as a desk decoration and despite there being no windows in the room, her pink stripe faded to white. (It went pitch black in a power outage. No outside light was getting in.) Unexpected and a bit disappointing, but it made me think about indoor sunfading!

I haven’t tried it yet, but if I did I would line a box with a reflective material like foil and place a white balanced lamp in a hole in the lid. I think I’d use a plastic box but that might not be essential. Then I’d place the pony inside (protected as if for regular sun fading) turn on the light and see what happened. I’d be very excited to see what results people get if they try this!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal