collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New G4 pony toy designs  (Read 30353 times)

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming movie design ponies
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2019, 04:18:08 PM »
I feel bad for saying this, but... they look more like cats than ponies to me.

I always hated it when people would say previous generations didn't look like ponies, because they all did to me - just their own design of ponies.  The only exception I found was some of the babies (like in G3.5 and G4), some of the G4 colts, and some of the earlier G4 toys kind of looked like deer to me, but they got better.

I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2019, 04:30:59 PM »

I never liked it to begin with and I hate it more every year.
Yikes, I like the feathered feet on them, but that’s about it. :huh: I know G4 didn’t look much like ponies either, but these feel so much worse. I hate how their eyes are placed front and center, and their snouts look so awkward. They must look like emojis on a horse body.

I definitely think this is G4’s last hurrah before G5. Unless they’re using all the exact same characters with no changes, this has to still be g4. I’ll probably buy just one of these since I like to have a pony from every gen, and this is radically different enough to be like, a half gen or something. If this style is where G5 is headed though, I may not have to worry about making space for new ponies. I can’t see myself collecting a toy line that looks like that.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but is anyone else sick of chibi stuff? Like...every toy out there seems to be going for the huge eyes, hardly any other features look and I just don’t think it’s cute. They look kinda creepy a lot of the time! I know that very much seems to be the style right now, and kids must like it, but some variety would be nice.
[/quote
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2019, 05:38:46 PM »
Not a fan.  I did have to warm up to G4 but I don’t think that’s going to happen with this one for me.  To be honest there isn’t anything about these that I like, not even the hooves.

Offline StayGoldPonyboy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2019, 05:43:03 PM »
Thanks I hate it! g5 is dead to me already

Offline SunbeamV

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2019, 05:56:56 PM »
oh geez. um. this is gonna take some......adjustment. their eyes are almost fully forward facing like a predator animal?!  T_T

I don't fully hate the unicorn mold so I might grab Rarity (and Twilight, if they release her) because half the reason I collect is to document the history of MLP in hopes it can go to a museum when I pass. but I'm not gonna love it 😂

I feel like I took g3.5 and the entirety of g4 for granted ._.

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2019, 06:44:32 PM »
Oh I figured out why I like the Fluttershy so much in particular. She reminds me of a more chibi (and larger eared version) of some Fluttershy art I really liked from the G5 leak two years back.

Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Just make her more slender/less chibi, give her a horn, and make her ears smaller and you kind of have that style. I think the facial expression in particular reminds me of it.

Yep there's a lot of similarities to the toy and that art, so they may in fact be based on them a bit.

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2019, 07:06:36 PM »
I noticed how they really do have forward-facing eyes now as well as a human jaw. Ew. So I whipped this up lazily half-asleep quickly referencing* my own ponies.

*I looked over my shoulder at the ponies on my shelf and thought "yeah, that's close enough".

Where are their chins?

I still stand by me liking the detailed eyes and the accessories, but the face gets worse the more you look at it. :XD:

At least they have more sculpting than G4.5s....
This drawing is really helpful in illustrating what went wrong.

My mom says they look like cats. I think they look like the Equestria Girls minis.

Offline Poster

• Colorswirl Pony
  • Beeeee fliiiiies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2019, 07:16:06 PM »
I might warm up to these if the hair quality's all right. I'm trying to gauge it from the boxed photos but not really having any success. My hopes aren't terribly high, though.

Also I hope there'll be a non-gimmick Rarity. Non-gimmick versions for all of them!

I noticed how they really do have forward-facing eyes now as well as a human jaw. Ew. So I whipped this up lazily half-asleep quickly referencing* my own ponies.

*I looked over my shoulder at the ponies on my shelf and thought "yeah, that's close enough".

Where are their chins?

I still stand by me liking the detailed eyes and the accessories, but the face gets worse the more you look at it. :XD:

At least they have more sculpting than G4.5s....

It really does seem as though they're evolving to emphasize the face more and more, doesn't it? Bigger face, smaller body.

What if G6 were to consist of just big, pointy-eared masks with hair, with the body reduced to nothing but a tiny, vaguely equine stand that can't even be seen from the front. XD

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2019, 08:31:16 PM »
The big brony site edited their report on these to say that a source they're closely involved with contacted them and told them that they are not G5. They also point out that the transition to G5 movie was delayed to 2021, so yeah putting out toys for it over a year ahead of time wouldn't really make sense. As I suspected, these do seem to just be more G4 toys.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2019, 10:53:02 PM »
Someone on Twitter was trying to call these G4.5. Um those exist kind of exist already

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Sakuyamon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2019, 11:08:01 PM »
Someone on Twitter was trying to call these G4.5. Um those exist kind of exist already
G4.5 are the late 2010 molds. This is more like G4.7.

Offline hilamb

• Myrskyisä yö poni
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2019, 01:10:17 AM »
Hmm, looks.. interesting. I like the ears tough, they are cute.

Thank you valerie :heart:

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2019, 01:19:04 AM »
why this
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline pyrodarknessanny

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • banannas
    • View Profile
    • Pyrodarknessanny's ko-fi
Re: New G4 pony designs
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2019, 02:58:42 AM »
hard nope

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Re: New G4 pony designs
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2019, 03:17:48 AM »
Eh... I like the feathered hooves and body shape, but the heads are pretty much just cats now. XD I really do like how the body is more defined and equine (albeit still very cartoony), especially the back legs.

I don’t hate them... just so long as they’re a transitionary thing and not G5. I might get a few. The accessories are really nice.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 03:23:28 AM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal