collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to make a discolored pony white again?  (Read 587 times)

Offline NsMLPonies

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • NsDollyCouture
How to make a discolored pony white again?
« on: July 28, 2017, 05:13:47 PM »
Does anyone know how to make a pony that is now a gray-ish color white again? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 05:18:25 AM by Mirnyj »
COMMISSIONS PERMANENTLY CLOSED

Offline Doedeardarling

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: How to make a discolored pony white again?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 07:29:28 AM »
It depends on which pony it is and what you have already tried. Sunfading is probably the best option for most off white ponies but there are some that tend to tan rather than whiten. Have you tried magic eraser yet? Sometimes the gray stuff can be just dirt.

Offline KottonKandy

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 08:43:36 AM »
It depends on which pony it is and what you have already tried. Sunfading is probably the best option for most off white ponies but there are some that tend to tan rather than whiten. Have you tried magic eraser yet? Sometimes the gray stuff can be just dirt.
I don't wanna go horribly off-topic here, but I've heard of some ponies getting "sunburnt" during sunfading. Is this what they mean? They turn tan/darker? And I always hear it said as "some ponies", is there a list of which ones are prone to this happening? Or is it just sorta random?
I recently tried sunfading on a baity G3 and it does really well, but I'm still spooked of doing my beloved G1s because I haven't been able to find much info on the burning risk.

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 10:36:04 AM »
Yes, it is true some ponies can get burnt while sunfading. http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/body.html#SunFading has info about it, plus some links to topics here :) I agree with Doedeardarling, sunfading is probably your best option. Also, don't use acne creams! They work long after you use them. The multiple reasons why they are bad for ponies have been discussed in threads here, but I seriously can't find them :huh:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 11:27:06 AM »
I wouldn't do it to Starshine, Cherry Treats or Confetti, they do tan. Dunno who else does?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline NsMLPonies

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • NsDollyCouture
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 11:56:14 AM »
She is a Brush and grow Bouquet. I haven't tried anything yet really, other than washing her. I'll try the Magic eraser first.
COMMISSIONS PERMANENTLY CLOSED

Offline Doedeardarling

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 12:24:59 PM »
Bouquet is not safe to sunfade unfortunately. Of course you can still give it a go if she's baity anyways, but there's a risk she will get worse.

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 12:57:10 PM »
I dont agree with not using acne creams. They work really well when used carefully. You can see my project pictures on this site, under creams. http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/body.html#SunFading Still as white as in the last picture, years later.

Offline KottonKandy

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 01:05:31 PM »
I dont agree with not using acne creams. They work really well when used carefully. You can see my project pictures on this site, under creams. http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/body.html#SunFading Still as white as in the last picture, years later.
I think the problem with acne creams is that it keeps working years later. I've heard of it affecting other ponies that happen to touch the treated ones and stuff like that.

Yes, it is true some ponies can get burnt while sunfading. http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/body.html#SunFading has info about it, plus some links to topics here :) I agree with Doedeardarling, sunfading is probably your best option. Also, don't use acne creams! They work long after you use them. The multiple reasons why they are bad for ponies have been discussed in threads here, but I seriously can't find them :huh:
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks! That also solves the mystery of the perfectly brown/tan Gingerbread I found in a thrift shop lol.

Offline Eldarwen

• View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 01:18:35 PM »
I think the problem with acne creams is that it keeps working years later. I've heard of it affecting other ponies that happen to touch the treated ones and stuff like that.

As I said, when used carefully. :D I've used acne cream on pretty much all my childhood ponies because they had permanent marker on them. The only accident ive ever had was on Baby Cuddles because I didnt know that blueish ponies often turn white.  :lookround:

You have to be really careful with creams, but if you have a pony you cannot sunfade and it needs to be whitened/marks removed, I do not see a better choice. Especially if you're going to just display her later.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 03:16:44 PM »

Everyone has to make their own decisions about what to use on their own ponies, of course, but I think it is important that there's awareness of all the risks of acne cream. I found this link which discusses some of them with actual examples which might help the OP in their decision.

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,377336.0.html

My sister's Daisy Dancer was a victim of this. She was fine when we got her almost 20 years ago and she was fine when she went into storage about 13 years ago. She didn't come out of storage fine. Now she has large patches of cream/white on her belly. My sister is not pony condition fussy so she has decided to accept it, but it was a shame. I know she's a blue pony, but I have seen these issues on other colours of pony and the above thread mentions them. And as FantasticFirefly says there, many collectors won't buy a pony they know has been treated with or exposed to ponies treated with the cream. So basically while the decision is always one's own, you really need to know what you intend for the future of this pony before you use chemicals on it. If you want to keep it always and will never put it near another pony that might transfer then that's one thing, but if there's ever a chance of selling or contact with another pony, that might be too big a risk.

It's not 100% that all ponies get damaged and all ponies transfer to other ponies. Sister's Daisy Dancer was in storage with a Dainty for 7 years and Dainty is thus far undamaged from the close contact. But Daisy Dancer is not with my sister's other ponies now, just in case. There's no statute of limitations with this risk, so I think it's one that needs much information before making a final decision.

I am also wary of sunfading as an answer to everything, it seems like heat aggravates a lot of things in plastic breakdown and so I am unsure what a lot of sun might do to a pony's plastic over the long term. But it is true that in the case of sunfading a pony, it won't transfer to another, even if it goes wrong.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Eldarwen

• View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 04:09:07 PM »
I agree that using acne cream is something you really need to be careful with. Read where you can use it and where not. Don't make the same mistakes I did and bleach a blue pony. :D But when you study how to use it safely before using it, it can make miracles.

I also believe that sometimes its just worth the risk, with both sunfading and creams. If I have a pretty Cherry Treats for example, but she's got permanent marker on her, I dont think there is anything to lose. Its either keeping her with the marker or taking the risk. It can't get any worse. But thats just a personal opinion. :)

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 05:16:12 PM »
Eldarwen, I'm glad it works for you, but in almost everybody's else's cases, it has damaged the pony rather than helping, and can damage other ponies too. Also, how do you "use it carefully"? I'm curious :) KottonKandy, you might want to try hydrogen peroxide? I don't know if the ponies who burn while sunfading burn in the hydrogen peroxide treatment. Here's a link to info on it http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/body.html#Yellowed
As another possible alternative, maybe you could try an OxiClean bath? I have never done one, so I don't know much about them, but I do know they remove grime. Since you said it was a grayish color, it might be mold? (Lol I have no idea. Still learning :biggrin:) It might have gotten through to the outside like how sometimes rust shows through to the out side of the vinyl, or stained the vinyl. It might have been growing on the outside and stained the vinyl or receded into the pores. Or it simply could be grime that got into the vinyl. If so, an OxiClean bath would probably help (if you can give baths to brush n grows.)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 06:08:33 PM by Safflower »

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Hannah66665

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Fakies are people too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 05:23:31 PM »
My sister had a beautiful Night Glider my mom had bought her off of ebay and I think it was only a year later, if that, that the splotches appeared on her from someone using acne cream. :( I think it's one of those things that even if it has beautiful results, inevitably the pony will develop issues... but that might take anywhere from one year to ten or twenty.

((Night Glider is still very much loved))

Grail of all Grails: Brazilian pegasus Truly. :heart:

Offline Eldarwen

• View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 05:36:29 PM »
You use it carefully by learning how to use it. :) For example, don't use on blue ponies, symbols, eyes. Read when it's safe to use and when it's not. Test on the bottom of hooves for a few weeks first to see how it reacts.

If you have a pony you can not sunfade and it's full of marker, what do you have to lose? Sure, you can just keep her the way she is, but that again comes to personal opinions.

It is possible that you get white blotches later, especially with ponies like night glider, you should never use it on ponies with that color.

My point being, creams can be the solution when nothing else works. Of course sun fading should always be the first choice. But with smart use you can remove a lot marks/discolouring/you name it, just be careful and test it first. Or you can leave the pony be the way it is. Your choice. :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 05:40:30 PM by Eldarwen »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal