collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: should Hasbro be capitalizing on nostalgia?  (Read 6501 times)

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
Re: should Hasbro be capitalizing on nostalgia?
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2017, 04:29:38 PM »
Haha, well it was the 80's. :mrgreen:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2017, 04:30:17 PM »
Well, here in the states the have a multi-state lottery called Powerball.  It's well over $300 million.  I'm going to win this Wednesday evening, and even though there's those people here who don't want G1 back, I'm going to Hasbro and pay to back and produce a G1 movie  in the animation style of Midnight Castle/Katrina.  Even if they don't want to release it because of competition with the G4 movie, at least I'll have it for me! 

Ok, I can dream, right?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2017, 04:33:47 PM »
Well, here in the states the have a multi-state lottery called Powerball.  It's well over $300 million.  I'm going to win this Wednesday evening, and even though there's those people here who don't want G1 back, I'm going to Hasbro and pay to back and produce a G1 movie  in the animation style of Midnight Castle/Katrina.  Even if they don't want to release it because of competition with the G4 movie, at least I'll have it for me! 

Ok, I can dream, right?

If your gonna dream, dream big. :)
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2017, 04:44:03 PM »
I think children would go right for G1 ponies done in the G4 mold.  They would be new ponies to them.  And I think even people who had forgotten specific ponies would recognize them if they saw them.  It would make Hasbro money to do it, and help expand the variety of toys.  However, they don't see the need.

Really, I would like a Wind Whistler with hair that will stay pink.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2017, 04:47:19 PM »
Gator, I love the artwork in your sig!  Did you do it?

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2017, 05:16:28 PM »
Sunset, yes, it's my favorite of my own pony art.  It's the B'Loon Family Christmas.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2017, 05:18:31 PM »
I would rather G1 molds because they can get used for customs.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2017, 05:39:22 PM »

That is an excellent point.  Wouldn't it be nice if they offered a blank g1 on their site the way they do G3?

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2017, 05:46:13 PM »

That is an excellent point.  Wouldn't it be nice if they offered a blank g1 on their site the way they do G3?

ohhh, that would be awesome! I'd love that.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2017, 06:09:41 PM »
I think children would go right for G1 ponies done in the G4 mold.  They would be new ponies to them.  And I think even people who had forgotten specific ponies would recognize them if they saw them.  It would make Hasbro money to do it, and help expand the variety of toys.  However, they don't see the need.

Really, I would like a Wind Whistler with hair that will stay pink.

Uck no!

Post Merge: June 05, 2017, 06:10:48 PM

Yes this. What's the point of having G1
/2/3 if it's not done in its own style.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline princessluna11706

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2017, 06:22:19 PM »
I'd be happy with any G1 release really, whether it's in the G1 or G4 mold.  I'd just be happy to get something.

The original Princess Luna.

I'm on Instagram! http://instagram.com/kitarei1 :)

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2017, 10:35:44 PM »
I would love some of the old toys to come back.  Honestly, the retro Strawberry Shortcakes are awesome even when sold with the new dolls.  Something like that for ponies would be incredible.

Funny thing is the retro Strawberry Shortcake dolls actually did better than the new style dolls. At this year's toy fair there was no sign of any new dolls in the new style (and sadly it seems the Sweet and Sour Grape Sisters were dropped) but there were a few new retro style characters.

I was actually going to bring this up.  The original Strawberry Shortcake dolls sold on the toys and less on the characters, IMHO.  Adults who had them as children are roughly the same age as those who had G1 ponies (my older sister had both an original SSC doll and Glory.)  They'd remember having the dolls now, just like they'd recall having ponies.

The retro SSC dolls seem to sell well, at about $10 a piece.  They are well made and beautifully packaged.  They don't seem to suffer at all for the fact that you can easily get the originals on eBay for about the same price.

I think Hasbro could benefit from doing something similar.  A small subset of G1-esque ponies, maybe a playset or two (like the Showstable) and see how it goes.  I honestly think people would pay for it, and not just the G1 collectors out there.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2017, 02:09:52 AM »
I agree - an official G1 blank or blanks (unicorn, pegasus, earth in their prettiest poses), ready for customisation would be an absolute treat! Oh, I guess it's just a pipe-dream, though *sigh*  :hope:

Thank goodness for the Genie range! (Not that I would want to customise these new pretties!)  :silly:

Offline Motion-Paradox

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2017, 07:17:30 AM »
Maybe?

I think part of the issue is that really there are two pony fanbases with more overlap than you'd first think and with the older generation one it's difficult to make something that would be well received since opinions on what would be best are so varied. Some people want G1 Ponies in G4 molds, while some would only want G1 Ponies if they were exact replicas of the original down to the plastic's texture, while others wouldn't want replicas to avoid new collectors being confused (or in a couple of cases because they're worried it would devalue the older ones), and some want new Ponies in the old style. Not to mention the prices on toys tend to be a bit sticky and even with the discounts of mass production, a G1 Pony as they are would cost much more to make now than it did back then and creating a premium product is a bit of a gamble so they'd have to find the right place to sell it. Even though there's the fact that Hasbro is doing quite well with the current generation, I'm not sure the G4 fandom being bothered by having G1 Ponies slipped in would create that big a problem (Some of the comics already have very clear ones, especially the issues Amy Mebberson worked on) and it seems more that the people who notice it would be alright with it and the ones who wouldn't typically don't know the older characters that well (either way, G4 fans automatically disliking the older series isn't quite as big as it used to be)

In a way I think it's a bit like what happened with Rainbow Brite where they've done a few rebooted series and they've tried doing a re-release of the original a few times, some times it was unsuccessful and this time it's done well, but it can be difficult to predict when re-releasing the old version will pay off. I think that's why they're releasing the miniature ones attached to books and things like that; they know there's some interest, but it's difficult to find the best way capitalise on it without ending up boxes of large ponies going unsold.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2017, 01:14:25 PM »
I think that's why they're releasing the miniature ones attached to books and things like that; they know there's some interest, but it's difficult to find the best way capitalise on it without ending up boxes of large ponies going unsold.

Those weren't made by Hasbro, though; they were licensed and made by Running Press. (The Dollymixes were also licensed, fwiw) So I don't know if that much thought was put into them, heh.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal