collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The G3 film that never was - How do you think it would've played out?  (Read 870 times)

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
For those unaware, there was a G3 MLP movie advertised for Fall 2003 to be in theaters (and there's indications it was to be live-action and cartoon)
https://g3-facts.tumblr.com/post/141906512794/using-the-wayback-machine-on-mylittleponycom
https://68.media.tumblr.com/5f563f4358f4ddb76f9fafaf61a30d6c/tumblr_o4iko82ZXu1uja2e3o1_1280.png
So given this info, how do you think this movie would've played out? Perhaps a villain would've shown up?

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: The G3 film that never was - How do you think it would've played out?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 08:17:38 AM »
IDK. One of the charming things about G3 animated shows is that they were all sugary sweet. They didn't have any bad guys or insurmountable challenges to speak of. I would have been curious to see what they came up with! It would have been fun if they'd incorporated Butterfly Island into it, that was the most interesting and unique G3 set in my opinion because it was a different world.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 08:39:16 AM »
I don't think it would have had live action elements.  Too expensive.

I definitely wish the 2003 movie had come out!  That said, I doubt I would have found it very good.  I don't like most of the G3 specials.

Well, maybe "don't like" is too strong of a word.  They are fine for putting on when I'm doing housework or something and want something I can half-watch while I work.  They're nostalgic in a way.  But the conflicts are usually so trivial (oh no what will we get for Kimono's birthday, oh no we won't have rainbows for a year, oh no our parade might be delayed because we suck at making floats) that I find them kind of embarrassing.  Like dang, how about some actual danger?  A Very Minty Christmas is my favorite out of them because at least Minty and Pinkie Pie almost fell to their deaths out of a balloon.

Maybe they would have amped it up for an actual movie. I guess we'll never know.

Edit:  Regarding the live action thing . . . The full quote is

Fat Rock has licensed multiple marquee properties from Hasbro, including
MY LITTLE PONY and SUPER SOAKERS, on which it will build its first slate of films.  The first of the films is expected to debut in theatres in July 2003. The films will be in the $5-10 million budget range and will be a combination of live action and digital animation.

IMO that means the MLP movie would have been animated, while the Super Soaker film would have been live action.  The sketches for the MLP movie (which I saw a while ago on Tumblr--sorry, I can't find the link) were definitely for animation.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 09:00:53 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Blue Haired Ken Doll

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
  • Always eat your vegetables young grasshopper ♡
    • View Profile
    • My Blog ♡
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 08:58:03 AM »
I think it would've been super cute, i really enjoy the g3 specials and how innocent they are, i dont mind lack of villans and stuff
(ᵄ̴̶̷́ॢ ˙̮ ᵄ̴̶̷̀∗ॢ) ♡ Formerly known as Diamond Pony

Offline StarSwirl05

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 09:07:07 AM »

I definitely wish the 2003 movie had come out!  That said, I doubt I would have found it very good.  I don't like most of the G3 specials.

Well, maybe "don't like" is too strong of a word.  They are fine for putting on when I'm doing housework or something and want something I can half-watch while I work.  They're nostalgic in a way.  But the conflicts are usually so trivial (oh no what will we get for Kimono's birthday, oh no we won't have rainbows for a year, oh no our parade might be delayed because we suck at making floats) that I find them kind of embarrassing.  Like dang, how about some actual danger?  A Very Minty Christmas is my favorite out of them because at least Minty and Pinkie Pie almost fell to their deaths out of a balloon.

Maybe they would have amped it up for an actual movie. I guess we'll never know.

MY LITTLE PONY and SUPER SOAKERS, on which it will build its first slate of films.  The first of the films is expected to debut in theatres in July 2003. The films will be in the $5-10 million budget range and will be a combination of live action and digital animation.

IMO that means the MLP movie would have been animated, while the Super Soaker film would have been live action.  The sketches for the MLP movie (which I saw a while ago on Tumblr--sorry, I can't find the link) were definitely for animation.
Though they said films so that to me implies that more than one would be live-action and digital animation.

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 09:27:49 AM »
I enjoyed the G3 atmosphere in video form. It was light hearted and oddly relaxing to be exposed to. However, I dunno how a feature film would have worked without some sort of antagonist. AN hour and a half of ponies fixing their own mistakes or a friendship issue might be a little bland. I'd still have watched it and supported it as g3 is my second best loved generation of ponies.

The atmosphere of G3 was unique to me. It seemed like a self contained world with few very real pressing problems. In that bubble it retained a lot of innocence. I don't know how I would feel about it being too vastly different from the direct to vhs specials we got because it might have changed the lay out of the franchise for me. It could have been done though, it could have been interesting, but largely, I'm kinda glad it didn't happen.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 10:17:52 AM »
No clue.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 10:35:18 AM »
I watch G3 when I want something saccharine, relaxing, and cute. I feel like that would have been hard to keep up for a movie length film without getting boring. Something like the Twinkle Wish Adventure, perhaps, with a bit more in the way of stakes and conflict would have been interesting to see.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 01:38:09 PM »

Though they said films so that to me implies that more than one would be live-action and digital animation.

Maybe it would have involved a little girl going from our world to the pony world?
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline StarSwirl05

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 02:51:09 PM »
I wonder if The World's Biggest Tea Party is something like how this movie would've been in terms of live-action. Additionally, while reading a preview of the Ponyville Confidential book on Google, I found that this very movie was part of a big plan to have 1000 to 1500 movies released in theaters on weekends with 8 to 12 weeks per film. Sounds like they bit off more than they could chew.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 07:50:46 PM by StarSwirl05 »

invinible

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 08:47:24 AM »
But the conflicts are usually so trivial (oh no what will we get for Kimono's birthday, oh no we won't have rainbows for a year, oh no our parade might be delayed because we suck at making floats)

The conflict in A Charming Birthday was that up to that episode that they couldn't surprise Kimono for her birthday since she was so much wiser than the rest.  Only overcame by sending Minty, the dizziest of the ponies, to sneakily get the answer from Kimono without letting on that they were throwing a party for her.  Besides, that episode was more about establishing some base personality than about the conflict itself.

The reason the first rainbow of the season needed to be made in The Great Rainbow Caper was that the shooting stars liberally took away color from the land and the rainbow counters that.

The main problem of The Princess Promenade was that the ponies and Master Kenbroath Gillspotten Heath Spike put way too much importance on being a princess.  This is what leads to the problem with the parade.  While the ponies do learn their lesson, Spike doesn't.  To prevent Spike from going to sleep to start the same problem all over again at some point later in time, Wysteria starts the process of making everybody around there at the time princesses.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal