collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLP In National Geographic  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • So Soft Pony
  • Always dresses in style
    • View Profile
MLP In National Geographic
« on: January 08, 2017, 04:25:12 PM »
In the latest issue, MLP makes two appearances.  It's a special issue focused on genders, and the first pony to appear is in the completely pink room of a young girl.  Then there's a full page picture a bit further in.  One of the teens they interviewed was posing on a bed with a herd of ponies.

I never expected to see My Little Pony (or Care Bears or Hello Kitty for that matter) in National Geographic.
Rainbow Dash always dresses in style.

Offline piinkypiie

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Re: MLP In National Geographic
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 04:45:27 PM »
Pic!
:happy:

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 05:47:23 PM »
Definitely need to see pics, I was looking for ponies in that particular issue too and must have missed them.  :sad:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 06:24:01 PM »
Maybe I should buy it
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Rainbow Dash

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 09:44:27 PM »

Closeup of the last picture.  G3 Rarity?

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 03:25:55 AM »
Are those custom ponies in the first?! So cool thanks for sharing!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 09:11:05 AM »
Awesome!  I actually have this one- haven't even been able to read it yet but it looks really good!

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 09:50:28 AM »
Thats cool

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 09:54:21 AM »
I never expected this! What do they say about mlp?

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 10:25:06 AM »
Judging by the captions, it's an article about gender.  :)  The girl with the pony collection (which does seem to have a lot of customs in it, good eye!) is intersex (meaning having private parts which have both male and female characteristics) and identifies as a girl.

My guess is that the second picture, of the half-blue / half-pink room, isn't the room of a real kid, but is set up to show how things are marketed to kids . . . Blue is "for" boys, pink is "for" girls.

I actually feel that the split between "girl stuff" and "boy stuff" has gotten worse since the 80s.  MLP FIM is pretty good about including adventure and excitement, but a lot of "girls shows", especially the ones aimed at younger girls, make it obvious that the writers have no respect for their audience. 

Incidentally, this is why the brony meme of "You know, for little girls" infuriates me.  Yeah, how could a girl ever enjoy action or adventure? Cra-za-zy!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 10:31:41 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 02:18:58 PM »
Media segregation annoys me so much. As a little girl I adored Sailor Moon, but I adored Dragon Ball Z just as much. They're often seen as the two sides of the coin, but I loved both. People assume I'm a guy all the time when I chat about Dragon Ball online. I always identified as a tomboy, but even so I loved MLP and Care bears, but felt like I couldn't share that because I was a tomboy, and tomboys couldn't be that girly. It'd be like destroying my own identity by being myself, as weird as that sounds. Then when I did come out of the pink closet, I felt bad liking masculine things like I was going back on myself. It shouldn't be an issue. Kids should be allowed to like what they like, without feeling like those feelings are wrong. Grrr, society!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 04:02:40 PM »
I saw Laura Nelson speak at Cambridge Festival of Ideas a few years ago, she's really interesting...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/reality-check-with-polly-curtis/2011/dec/13/women-children

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/author/dr-laura-nelson

My niece doesn't always like pink but given the choice she chooses pink.  I bought her a Cadence TY plushie for Christmas.  The Luna one was so much nicer though...
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 04:24:15 PM »
Marketers like everything to be nice and neat.  Clear lines between genders, age groups, races, social status, etc.  It means they can make a simple message that will reach the target.  The more those lines are blurred, and more amorphous the message and the less punch it has in their eyes.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline WaterRaven

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Detective Docherty
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 04:41:47 PM »
Media segregation annoys me so much. As a little girl I adored Sailor Moon, but I adored Dragon Ball Z just as much. They're often seen as the two sides of the coin, but I loved both. People assume I'm a guy all the time when I chat about Dragon Ball online. I always identified as a tomboy, but even so I loved MLP and Care bears, but felt like I couldn't share that because I was a tomboy, and tomboys couldn't be that girly. It'd be like destroying my own identity by being myself, as weird as that sounds. Then when I did come out of the pink closet, I felt bad liking masculine things like I was going back on myself. It shouldn't be an issue. Kids should be allowed to like what they like, without feeling like those feelings are wrong. Grrr, society!

I was a Tom Boy as well. In fact, if my Barbie's weren't mermaids, they were eaten by dinosaurs. I played with more dinosaurs, alien toys, and creatures than I ever did "girlie" things. I had a short hair cut when I was a kid and when I was real young, mistaken for a boy because I hung out with boy, sometimes wore boy clothes, and new a lot about xmen, spiderman, and DBZ, in addition to the aliens franchise and Jurassice park :D

Offline Rainbow Dash

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 08:58:25 PM »
Yes, this is a special issue dedicated entirely to gender and how perceptions are changing.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal