collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rescue at Midnight Castle Observations  (Read 6709 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Rescue at Midnight Castle Observations
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2017, 12:36:17 PM »
Here's a screencap of animated Peachy from the Pretty Parlor commercial

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Peachy by LovesBarbie, on Flickr

And a screncap of Megan and Applejack together

Megan and Applejack by LovesBarbie, on Flickr

I've also heard  that mystery pony might have been an animated version of the porcelain First Born. 

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 12:39:02 PM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2017, 03:36:48 PM »
I wonder if they thought Peachy's color was too close to Applejack's? It is interesting that the rainbow pony always carries Twinkles.

Ponyfan

Kitty says: Walk? Who needs to walk when I've got my own personal transportation. You wouldn't believe the horse power on this baby! :biggrin:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2017, 06:56:49 PM »
I wonder if they thought Peachy's color was too close to Applejack's? It is interesting that the rainbow pony always carries Twinkles.

Ponyfan

Kitty says: Walk? Who needs to walk when I've got my own personal transportation. You wouldn't believe the horse power on this baby! :biggrin:

I love it!  :lol: Twinkles is a very smart kitty.

Ponyfan

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2017, 07:21:25 PM »
Just to throw this into the conversation about the mystery rainbow pony, there's a very short commercial that is on the end of the Children's Video Library VHS version of Rescue at Midnight Castle that features the real rainbow ponies (hope a YouTube link is okay to post here):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8xzCehlp5k

All six original rainbow ponies make an appearance, running around in some of the same scenes from Rescue at Midnight Castle (the rainbow, the cliff).

Just to confuse us all further! :P Hasbro, what were you planning . . .

Offline ember86

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • A very picky little pony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2017, 07:38:14 PM »
Could it be that maybe Twinkles fur blended in with Peachy's fur?
  Thank you Scraleos for my sig! Thank you MLPmintchocolatechip for my a avatar  Have a very pony day [you]
My etsy shop

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2017, 09:56:03 PM »
Just to throw this into the conversation about the mystery rainbow pony, there's a very short commercial that is on the end of the Children's Video Library VHS version of Rescue at Midnight Castle that features the real rainbow ponies (hope a YouTube link is okay to post here):

All six original rainbow ponies make an appearance, running around in some of the same scenes from Rescue at Midnight Castle (the rainbow, the cliff).

I started a thread about that a year or so ago. Someone responded that the animation is from the commercial used for the rainbow ponies. Then, the voiceover perhaps refers to either Escape from Catrina or the cartoon series. It's INCREDIBLY misleading. I had started the thread thinking there was a lost MLP special or a planned project that was never finished. I would have loved to have seen a cartoon with the rainbow ponies.

CakePop

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2017, 10:30:18 PM »
I've also heard  that mystery pony might have been an animated version of the porcelain First Born. 
I think that's extremely plausible, since Mystery Pony's cutie mark is like a simplified version of First Born's. Too bad she doesn't have a vinyl toy.

I started a thread about that a year or so ago. Someone responded that the animation is from the commercial used for the rainbow ponies. Then, the voiceover perhaps refers to either Escape from Catrina or the cartoon series. It's INCREDIBLY misleading. I had started the thread thinking there was a lost MLP special or a planned project that was never finished. I would have loved to have seen a cartoon with the rainbow ponies.

Since she mentions "Megan, Moochik, and Firefly" I guess it was released after Rescue at Midnight Castle but before the plot Escape From Catrina had been finalized?

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2017, 11:57:23 PM »
I think that's extremely plausible, since Mystery Pony's cutie mark is like a simplified version of First Born's. Too bad she doesn't have a vinyl toy.

Since she mentions "Megan, Moochik, and Firefly" I guess it was released after Rescue at Midnight Castle but before the plot Escape From Catrina had been finalized?

Yeah, that would be my guess.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2017, 04:43:30 AM »
Part of the Rainbow ponies animation  was used in the rainbow ponies commercial including them sliding down the rainbow and the ponies in the flowers. That commercial must be one of the hardest to find since I only saw it for the Once Upon a Pony celebration that some website was having for MLP's anniversary but that still leaves a lot of unanswered questions. Maybe Hasbro was planning on using the Rainbow Ponies in the next special but by the time everything was finalized they decided to shift the focus on the baby ponies and bushwoolies.  But if Hasbro already had a few seconds of the Rainbow pony animation at the time Rescue at Midnight Castle aired that makes Mystery Pony's appearance even more puzzling.

Does anyone know how long it was before the Rescue at Midnight Castle came out on VHS after it was on TV? I never saw it on TV but my grandparents had a copy on tape that I watched many, many times.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 04:48:25 AM by Ponyfan »

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2017, 10:55:14 AM »

I think there were plans for a Rainbow Pony special.  However, two things got in the way.  The first was the Transformers was going to have to have a full season in 1984 to compete with the Go-Bots.  So, the lion's share of the animation budget went to that (also note G.I. Joe also only got a second miniseries and would have to wait until 1985 to get its full series started).  Second, David DePattie headed up this pony venture, probably to do something not related to Marvel Comics (hating that company with the power of a thousand white hot suns).  He kind of blew up at Marvel Productions' new CEO in 1984 when she told him they were going to work more closely with Marvel Comics in the future.  So, any plans he might have had for MLP were likely tabled and Loasch waited until the following year and made Escape from Catrina.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2017, 11:00:45 AM »
The Mystery pony has always been the cutest my little pony to me. I really wish they made a real toy of her/a real character of her. I'm aware of the porcelain that looks similar but a real plastic toy.

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2017, 12:44:20 PM »
Could it be that maybe Twinkles fur blended in with Peachy's fur?

Sounds plausible to me! I could definitely see that being a problem.

re: First Born, I agree there's similarities but idk if the RaMC team would've been aware of the porcelain ponies, or vice versa? I dunno. I agree that "First Born" is as good a name for her as any, if that makes sense..

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2017, 01:13:08 PM »
While the finished porcelain First Born looks different from the mystery pony, her prototype is identical - same hair color/pattern, same symbol.  I think WildShadow has a pamphlet/booklet with the prototype porcelain in it.  I know she's shown the picture before! 

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2017, 01:44:25 PM »
Why is she called First Born anyway? She's not a baby pony. She's not the first pony ever made or showed, her symbol has nothing to do with it, though that's not uncommon. Her name makes no sense to me. :huh:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2017, 02:05:03 PM »
While the finished porcelain First Born looks different from the mystery pony, her prototype is identical - same hair color/pattern, same symbol.  I think WildShadow has a pamphlet/booklet with the prototype porcelain in it.  I know she's shown the picture before!

Ahh, I know the photo you mean but I can't find it anywhere x_x; I know I've seen it before..

This is one of my favourite pony mysteries, hehe. I love how many mysteries G1 has.. but also I hate it since we'll probably never know the answers to all of them.. XD aaa.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal