collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Discussion: Cures for pony cancer  (Read 5825 times)

Offline MangleCrafter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • One word: Firefly
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion: Cures for pony cancer
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2016, 01:51:10 PM »
When Seashell was in one of my first groups of eBay ponies (the seller turned out to be an arena member) I thought she was common too, but I haven't seen her since so she's not so common, but she does often have some issues so I hope if your extra one is in good shape that you decide to share her and find a worse one to customize.  Maybe you can make a trade for a worse one and something else too?

It's also possible to use plaster to make a mold of ponies and pour as many blanks as you want.  That home-process is also a bit pricey compared to a bait but once the mold is made, many can be produced...the quality wouldn't be as good as Genie for example, but the cost would be lower.  I wonder if someone prepared a home-based blank-making project in some less-common, more-desirable poses, if customizers would be satisfied with the level of quality produced to buy those blanks instead of sacrificing perfectly good Seashells.

There could also be advantages....blanks could be made of materials more suited for customizing, accept paint easier etc.  How much would a customizer pay for such a blank and what sort of parameters would make it desirable enough to pay more than a bait for?
That is a great idea! The seashell that i used for the experiment was one double i had. She is in nice shape now so i will give her to a new loving home. I wanted to customize her because i didn't want to have an extra Seashell. It will be better to give her away to somebody who will like her as pretty as she is. I would love for some G1 pony blanks   :) Maybe i could make a mold out of silicone and eventually find a material to pour in to crate a pony base. Thanks for the ideas!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2016, 02:09:22 PM »
That is a great idea! The seashell that i used for the experiment was one double i had. She is in nice shape now so i will give her to a new loving home. I wanted to customize her because i didn't want to have an extra Seashell. It will be better to give her away to somebody who will like her as pretty as she is. I would love for some G1 pony blanks   :) Maybe i could make a mold out of silicone and eventually find a material to pour in to crate a pony base. Thanks for the ideas!

You should stock up on the Genie customs...

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,381546.0.html
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2016, 06:02:41 PM »
I wonder if Gingerbread's propensity for cancer/age spots is related to how quickly she turns brown in the sun; it probably is, isn't it. Are there any other ponies so well-known for both cancer and turning brown in the sun? Cherry Treats and Starshine don't usually react well to UV rays (depending on what batch your Starshine came from) and will turn brown in the sun, but neither are as notorious for cancer as Gingerbread. Still, I imagine they get cancer.

It would make sense.  In my experience I've very very rarely seen cancer spots that go all the way through the vinyl.  When it does, it tends to be a larger spot on the outside of the body and a smaller spot on the inside.  Others may have  seen something different though.  I think this makes sense because I'm assuming that heat and oxygen are distributed evenly, but sun is always going to hit the outside of the pony.  So it would make sense that a lot of deterioration will start on the outside.

Don't the ponies who burn in the sun tend to be off-white?  Cherry treats, Gingerbread, Windy?  There's no reason why that color of vinyl couldn't be processed differently somehow, making it more sensitive to UV radiation.

Pure speculation here, but maybe dye gives them some sort of UV protection?  Like how wearing a colored T-shirt gives better sun protection than a white t-shirt?  Clearly that's not true for all white ponies since the bright white ones don't burn (as far as I know).  Titanium dioxide helps prevent damage from UV radiation.  I'd bet money the bright white ponies have some of this in their coloring.  https://www.drugs.com/inactive/titanium-dioxide-70.html

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

lostpony

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2016, 06:44:40 PM »
It's mostly speculation unless we had access to some of the manufacturing records but I have no idea how we'd ever get those unless some sort of health risk studies might have been done.

We can be sure there is some sort of UV resistance additive, and I know in industrial applications the UV resistance increased a lot throughout that time to the present so it only makes sense that a lot of different things might have been tried.  We might get an idea what was mainstream from one year to the next by matching up things added to water pipes in the same years as public records probably exist for those types of things but I am clueless where to find them.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2016, 04:03:36 PM »
It's mostly speculation unless we had access to some of the manufacturing records but I have no idea how we'd ever get those unless some sort of health risk studies might have been done.

We can be sure there is some sort of UV resistance additive, and I know in industrial applications the UV resistance increased a lot throughout that time to the present so it only makes sense that a lot of different things might have been tried.  We might get an idea what was mainstream from one year to the next by matching up things added to water pipes in the same years as public records probably exist for those types of things but I am clueless where to find them.

Maybe we will never get access to them BECAUSE some health risk studies have been done  :lol:

Great to see all this enthusiasm.  I really salute you all.  I am a science geek (note geek not expert) and I work in museums so I'm really happy that pony care is developing like this.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

lostpony

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2016, 05:46:05 PM »
The word museum just gave me an idea flash to Indiana Jones recovering a pony from a jungle temple and the bad guy taking it off him.

Ha!  Just figured out what must be inside the 5-sided chest :  MIMIC!

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2016, 02:14:33 AM »
Hasbro used to sell blank white G3s for customization . . . I wish some intrepid customizers would band together and produce blank ponies in G1 molds.

Oh yes - especially as G1 unicorns, please!

Hasbro did release the G1 25th Birthday sets a few years ago, I wish I had seen the Rainbow pony sets (with unicorns) in the stores (I am based in the UK and only saw the Cotton Candy / Butterscotch etc box sets at Toys R Us).

Hasbro have the moulds/molds, I wish that they could find an excuse to use them again, a set of "design yourself" G1 blanks would be amazing! We have the current G4 "Pop" blanks, so I know it *must* be possible!  :hope:

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2016, 09:20:14 AM »
Hasbro used to sell blank white G3s for customization . . . I wish some intrepid customizers would band together and produce blank ponies in G1 molds.

Oh yes - especially as G1 unicorns, please!

Hasbro did release the G1 25th Birthday sets a few years ago, I wish I had seen the Rainbow pony sets (with unicorns) in the stores (I am based in the UK and only saw the Cotton Candy / Butterscotch etc box sets at Toys R Us).

Hasbro have the moulds/molds, I wish that they could find an excuse to use them again, a set of "design yourself" G1 blanks would be amazing! We have the current G4 "Pop" blanks, so I know it *must* be possible!  :hope:

Have you seen Genie? She's a newly produced G1 unicorn :) Damaged ones were (or are?) being sold for customizing.

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2016, 09:33:58 AM »
Have you seen Genie? She's a newly produced G1 unicorn :) Damaged ones were (or are?) being sold for customizing.

Oh - my - goodness - she's gorgeous!  :heart: :heart: :heart:

You can tell I am new here - I did not know about this! Hmmm I must have a word with my husband...  :happy:

lostpony

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2016, 01:12:14 PM »
Welcome glitterball!

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2016, 01:18:50 PM »
Thanks, LostPony!  :)

...I made a Genie-shaped purchase tonight...   :newpony:

lostpony

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2016, 01:21:46 PM »
Yay!  don't forget to share pics!

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2016, 01:43:53 PM »
Yay!  don't forget to share pics!

You bet!
I just need to wait for her to travel across "the pond" first!  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal