collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ponies who are rare but overlooked, in your opinion?  (Read 5541 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Ponies who are rare but overlooked, in your opinion?
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2016, 12:40:39 PM »
White activity club pony on the other hand, now there is a pony impossible to find!

The irony is that when I used to carboot, going back 20 years now, both Ice Crystal and the white club baby were not that hard to find. I have had more of the baby over the years though not all in great shape. Back then Ice Crystal was probably easier to find though. Here at least. We seem to have had a glut of Mountain Boys, but once those kids sold them off, that was it. Gone.

Here the rarest Mountain Boy was Tornado, only ever had a couple of him. Ice Crystal was never a problem, back when it was possible to find ponies second hand. I probably had ten or so over those years. Of course when the carboot sale closed and time passed, it's a different world. Now people tend to take their collections to ebay rather than the carboot, and in those days I had little if any competition in the entire county region for ponies, which is also now not the case.

We're all also positioned based on our geography and what we COULD find in our locations. For example, Cranberry Muffin and SS Twilight weren't sold here, so I can only go on what happens online and I think both get a fair bit of attention - especially Twilight, she's a popular SS. But there's always a chance I might pick up Ice Crystal or a Great Hair pony, so I don't tend to think of them?

The white club baby is around a lot more than you might think. I had one earlier this year, and I see her come up for sale often. :)

It used to annoy me though years back when people would say Ice Crystal was worth more than one of the Seaside babies or Surprise Newborns when in reality the latter two sets weren't even distributed all over the UK. Ice Crystal appears a lot on ebay, though, because sellers know he's popular. If you're a dealer and you're picking up ponies, you might pick up all of them, but you might pick up the ones you know will sell. Ditto on Mimic. This is how it works, and apparently its all about green. I add Cool Breeze to that green list.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 12:44:28 PM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline gold.standard

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2016, 12:50:14 PM »
I don't think she's rare, but for me personally it's Cranberry Muffins. I almost never see her for sale, and when I do, she is quickly snatched up. I'm beginning to think I'll never find her and complete my set.

I'll keep you in mind if I find one! I'm always on the look out for sweetberry ponies!!
I love art and ponies so much!!

Currently seeking ponies: Galaxy, Dewdrop Dazzle, Flitterheart, Twinkleshine, Sweetie Swirl, Sweetpop, Cherry Treats, Buttons, Baby Lucky Clover, Swirly Whirly, Tutti Fruiti, Sweet Clover

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2016, 01:25:59 PM »
Another one who I think is hard to find and underrated is the Dutch dolphin baby. She is such a beauty! Yet I never see her for sale, and never see people talking about her!

Yes!

All the Dutch ponies are overlooked imo - they're so lovely! I really love the colours they picked for them.

(the only FT baby I'll ever love :heart:)

Online Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2016, 06:25:43 PM »
I feel that, in general, the later years of ponies tend to be underrepresented; they don't show up in sales as often (everyone always has 30 Windys/Cotton Candy/Glory for sale, but usually one or two prom queen SHSs, or pocket ponies, or), and they don't usually show up on peoples' "favorite" lists. I think maybe it's because they got so 'gimmicky', because the boom of popularity wasn't as high in the later years, and so on. They don't "feel" like classic ponies, so they get a little less love. But since those were the ones I grew up with, I'm super fond of them! :P They also tend to be higher priced, accordingly, so I guess that means they're recognized as 'uncommon', but they don't tend to show up on popular 'rare' lists, IMO!

I'm seconding the Sundazzle SHS ponies; I've been (casually) seeking an upgrade for my bait yellow one for years, and I think I've seen one or two, and I've never even seen the orange one for sale! (Luckily she's a childhood pony for me!) Also seconding Pink Sprinkles, but I think some of that's also because folks don't know about her as much; I got mine in a lucky eBay lot just a year or two ago. SHS ponies in general tend to get overlooked, so folks (me included!) aren't aware of which ones are rare: ditto for Dream Beauties. Those two tend to be seen as 'non pony' so they're left out of a lot of favorites lists.
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2016, 06:38:50 PM »
I don't think they're all that rare? I could be wrong. But Cranberry Muffins is absolutely stunning!! She's so lovely and had such a dynamic pose and dramatic color combination!!
 I see Raspberry Jam often enough (my last one I need, I'm just picky) but I rarely ever see CM. I was lucky enough to find a grubby one, and she cleaned up nice!!

Blueberry Baskets seems to be the most popular sweetberry pony, and don't get me wrong, I love her!
 But
Cranberry Muffins is just
so perfect

She's lovely. I didn't know she was rare.

Post Merge: November 28, 2016, 06:41:14 PM

SS Twilight. I know for a while she was sought after but I haven't heard anyone mention her lately or seen any for sale for a long time.

Ponyfan

I found one in good condition at a thrift shop this year.  I think I only paid $0.50 for her.

I'm so jealous of your luuuuck!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 06:41:14 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline gold.standard

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2016, 06:46:03 PM »
@leaveawhisper

I'm not sure if she actually is? She just so rarely shows up, so she might be? I regularly look specifically for sweetberry ponies and only seen her a few times, maybe 5?, including the one I bought. I see Blueberry Baskets all the time, and Boysenberry Pie seems to be one of the most common of the set.
I love art and ponies so much!!

Currently seeking ponies: Galaxy, Dewdrop Dazzle, Flitterheart, Twinkleshine, Sweetie Swirl, Sweetpop, Cherry Treats, Buttons, Baby Lucky Clover, Swirly Whirly, Tutti Fruiti, Sweet Clover

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2016, 06:54:32 PM »
SS Twilight. I know for a while she was sought after but I haven't heard anyone mention her lately or seen any for sale for a long time.

Ponyfan

I found one in good condition at a thrift shop this year.  I think I only paid $0.50 for her.

Wow!  :) I looked for her for quite a while before I found one in good condition, Most had really faded hair or really bad flocking loss.

I also agree about the Dream Beauties. I've checked a few times trying to replace my childhood Song Rider (blue perfume Dream Beauty) but I've never seen her for sale or she's really expensive.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2016, 07:29:10 PM »
Pretty much all of the Dream Beauties.  I don't see them come up very often.

I wonder if they sometimes get mislabeled as Breyer's/Barbie ponies/etc on eBay?
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2016, 09:45:31 PM »

Ponyfan

Wow!  :) I looked for her for quite a while before I found one in good condition, Most had really faded hair or really bad flocking loss.

I just pulled her out to look at her.  I haven't given my G1 finds for the last six or so months a bath yet, so she's in the waiting place with the rest of them.  She has minimal flocking loss on the edges of her feet and ears (though her nds ear has a bit more than the ds ear), her hair is pretty pink and may still have some factory curl to it.  It does need a good brushing, though, it's quite tangled.   There are light rubs on her wings, but it doesn't really look like it'll be too bad once I get her cleaned up.  She does have quite a bit of dirt on her, so removing that might reveal some flaws that I'm not noticing now.  I'll try to take before and after pics so I can see the difference a bath makes.

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2016, 11:07:00 PM »
Dutch Shell Pony & Butterfly Pony. The Diary Pony seems to get the most attention out of this set.

Also, Love Story. I don't know if she's necessarily rare, but when I wanted her it took me awhile to find her. In fact I notice a lot of the European ponies don't come up as often as the US ponies do. I wonder why that is.

cannibalism

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2016, 11:10:07 PM »
I don't think they're all that rare? I could be wrong. But Cranberry Muffins is absolutely stunning!! She's so lovely and had such a dynamic pose and dramatic color combination!!
 I see Raspberry Jam often enough (my last one I need, I'm just picky) but I rarely ever see CM. I was lucky enough to find a grubby one, and she cleaned up nice!!

Blueberry Baskets seems to be the most popular sweetberry pony, and don't get me wrong, I love her!
 But
Cranberry Muffins is just
so perfect

ahh on that note, bluberry baskets!!!! one of my grails, he is so so SO gorgeous and i really really want him but i for the life of me i cant find him for under like 60 BUCKS. killer. i hope to find him one day.

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2016, 11:11:54 PM »
The Sundazzle SHS are rare??  Wow I have like a whole bag of them!  Let me know if anyone is searching :)  Actually a lot of the later years ponies we had in abundance here, like the Paradise babies and Rainbow babies we all had as kids.  I guess it really depends on location.

I never saw the petite playset shops around here.  They're among my favourite items in my collection :)  The pretty pony parade set was hard to find over here too- they get overlooked in favour of the later 3 sets (twinkle, glow and tropical).

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2016, 11:15:14 PM »
Dutch Shell Pony & Butterfly Pony. The Diary Pony seems to get the most attention out of this set.

Also, Love Story. I don't know if she's necessarily rare, but when I wanted her it took me awhile to find her. In fact I notice a lot of the European ponies don't come up as often as the US ponies do. I wonder why that is.

Probably because most European countries are so much smaller than the US that they just didn't need to make as many.  For example, the entire UK can fit inside of Wyoming (I'm basing that off of square footage, not the actual shape of the country or state by the way).  My friend was working at a summer camp in New York with a bunch of people from the UK and she had to explain why they couldn't drive to California to go to Disneyland and be back in time for dinner.  They just didn't realize how huge the US is by comparison.

Offline Khayman81

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2016, 11:49:19 PM »
I wouldn't mind finding a SsTwilight with bad flocking or even rehair needs...as long as she has all her limbs :(
My wish list
My sales
Instagram: mlpsanti
Check my eBay profile for sales https://www.ebay.es/usr/santiagroz0

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2016, 04:19:36 AM »
The sundazzles are underrated in my opinion, but I do not think they are rare. I went after this set last year and bought all three within the same month.

Taffeta is you find/see another white activity club baby that's not over priced, you let me know! I never see her for sale, and she's high on my wishlist!

The orange sea side baby is also a headache! Along with the pink fancy mermaid and baby pineappple! Oh and add daffodil from the flower ponies set to the list too!

Another one I thought of is the alt. Pose brush and grow twisty tails!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 04:56:11 AM by Mermaid »
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal