collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Was Skippity Doo meant to be a pegasus?  (Read 2135 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Was Skippity Doo meant to be a pegasus?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2016, 08:39:08 AM »
Well, the Cookery Ponies and the gingerbread pegasus indicates that it's not impossible for stuff like this to happen and be related to prototypes. I am just a bit suspicious where Hasbro is concerned.

If you look at the cards next to each other then what it looks like to me is that the later one has minor amendments to the original one. I actually looked closer than before and if you really look at it, you can see very slight adjustments to the Surprise and Gusty graphics to make them a little more correct in terms of the poses (which I never noticed till now). The walking pose Hippety Hop unicorn is a total anomaly, but Fifi looks a tiny bit like she's going to rear. So when you look at it that way, I can see why people would think that there must have been a pegasus Skippety at the very least. Why change the other poses and not that one?

I'm kind of cynical though when assuming packaging errors means there's a prototype that looks like that. It might simply have been an error by the editing team, or more difficult to edit them into more accurate species or poses. There's obviously a huge effort been gone to here to retain the bulk of the original card, so that means they can't make major changes. I would still think that's the reason they look wrong, because there's nothing logical to suggest a walking pose Hippety Hop unicorn existed as a prototype. And if that is wrong, but is on the card, there's no reason to look at other errors any differently either. I don't know how they were produced, but when you start comparing similar pose ponies across cards from surrounding years, some of them do look quite similar, which makes you wonder if they're working from template graphics rather than actual ponies to draw these images. The US backcards always make me feel like someone stuck a bunch of ponies randomly on a backdrop anyway, because of their adherence to pose making them look often a bit awkward, especially in the sky. If they were done pony by pony from a stylesheet of some kind, that would explain it. And it might also explain wires being crossed in the design element.

But I might also be being influenced by Europe, because recolouring the same card for different country usage is pretty common, especially around the same time period with the Hopscotch set. Also, pose accuracy is more true of the US line than the European ones for a lot of the time, so there's more possibility that a pony drawn in a certain way might be meant to represent something that was intended, even if it didn't happen.

I'm just inclined to be a cynic.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 08:42:10 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Khayman81

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2016, 11:38:34 AM »
There were lot of ponies that changed in the end. Masquerade was intended to be in Whizzer pose but only the spanish one got it. There was to be a pegasus for the dance n prance ponies and none made it.
I read about more ponies that changed between the catalogue and the real ponies. So why not this?
My wish list
My sales
Instagram: mlpsanti
Check my eBay profile for sales https://www.ebay.es/usr/santiagroz0

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2016, 02:24:03 PM »
There were lot of ponies that changed in the end. Masquerade was intended to be in Whizzer pose but only the spanish one got it. There was to be a pegasus for the dance n prance ponies and none made it.
I read about more ponies that changed between the catalogue and the real ponies. So why not this?

I am cynical of anything that has no catalogue photo to back it up. It's a hypothesis until there's a photograph to prove there was a prototype. The dance and prance ponies were in the commercial, ditto the alternative Princess Star Gleamer, etc. Unless someone has a catalogue with a photo of a pegasus Skippety Doo, it makes it hard for me to believe one ever existed.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2016, 03:44:41 PM »
I don't think anyone's trying to say a pegasus Skippety-Doo definitely does exist? I thought this was just a speculation thread.

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2016, 04:42:10 PM »
Too funny! I love seeing all the backcard art. It really is that, art. :D We take for granted how fast the artwork on packaging can be changed nowadays.
~Foxtale~

Offline Pierlala

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2016, 02:06:28 AM »
I don't think anyone's trying to say a pegasus Skippety-Doo definitely does exist? I thought this was just a speculation thread.

Indeed. This was just a speculation thread.
My wish list: Click here!.

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2016, 11:45:26 PM »
I love the mysteries surrounding backcard art. One, the art is just awesome, and two, who knew what was going through the production teams head? Did the artist draw the ponies then get into trouble with production or vice-versa? Oh to be a fly on the wall in that office!

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal