collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Fancy Mermaid Factory Flaw?  (Read 1188 times)

Offline foalpatrol

• Hello, Clarice
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Fancy Mermaid Factory Flaw?
« on: November 02, 2016, 11:53:28 PM »
I have a Baby Sea Princess who has an odd flaw.  See the photos below of her tail - the pearly sheen does not cover her tail fins. 

I bought her from someone who was selling off her childhood ponies.  She's otherwise mint, except for a dot of what looks like factory paint on her cheek.  So, factory flaw or modification?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Fancy Mermaid Factory Flaw?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 12:31:49 AM »
Factory flaw - reasonably sure these were painted by having a mask/stencil over the areas that weren't to be pearly and then spray-coating them by hand, so there's bound to be some variation / lighter or missed areas given that they had to be done quickly.  The areas missed are consistent with spray painting while she was held at too acute an angle for the paint to reach the inner section of tail.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 12:32:35 AM »
i think the only way to tell for sure would be to ask the original owner!  interesting though!  If it was removed it was done quite neatly.

Offline h1m3.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 01:09:49 AM »
I don't know the real answer but to me it coud be be fading. If the pony is played and loved very dearly I would think that fading would be caused by fingers rubbing against the pearly coat. But it can also be factor error :) I don't know but my mind comes first fading though baby sugarberrys explanation makes sense too. Better ask the owner ;)

Offline foalpatrol

• Hello, Clarice
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 01:44:39 AM »
Factory flaw - reasonably sure these were painted by having a mask/stencil over the areas that weren't to be pearly and then spray-coating them by hand, so there's bound to be some variation / lighter or missed areas given that they had to be done quickly.  The areas missed are consistent with spray painting while she was held at too acute an angle for the paint to reach the inner section of tail.

Thanks - that explanation makes sense. 

I don't know the real answer but to me it coud be be fading. If the pony is played and loved very dearly I would think that fading would be caused by fingers rubbing against the pearly coat. But it can also be factor error :) I don't know but my mind comes first fading though baby sugarberrys explanation makes sense too. Better ask the owner ;)

I don't really see how it could be fading.  The pony is mint, right down to her original curls.  She has not been played with much, if at all.  Fading or rubbing wouldn't explain the perfect lines where the coating stops. 

I also don't keep contact details for people I traded with years ago!

Offline h1m3.

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 03:16:43 AM »

I don't really see how it could be fading.  The pony is mint, right down to her original curls.  She has not been played with much, if at all.  Fading or rubbing wouldn't explain the perfect lines where the coating stops. 

I also don't keep contact details for people I traded with years ago!
[/quote]

Well like I said I don't know the real answer :) That was my opinion. That spot would be perfect for fingers if I would have played with that pony^^. I got couple of childhood ponies that I have played and they still are pretty mint condition (as far as you can say mint when the pony is out of its box) so the if she is played or not can be just she was played more carefully, I don't know :P
Just trying to help by giving another opinion :)

Offline foalpatrol

• Hello, Clarice
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 11:13:43 AM »
I appreciate the time you took to give your opinion, but if you take a look at the photos, it's clearly not play wear or fading.

Offline Gypsy_Nights

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolute Night Owl!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 11:22:08 AM »
i think the only way to tell for sure would be to ask the original owner!  interesting though!  If it was removed it was done quite neatly.

I was thinking the same, if it was a modification it was done with almost perfect lines, which makes me think factory error.  And it is way to perfect for fading.
~~~Me and My FiM Family~~~

My Sales Thread     My deviantART Page

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 11:22:25 AM »
It looks like a factory flaw to me, but a cool one!

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 01:18:47 PM »
I'd say factory flaw.  Those paint lines stop flawlessly, like her fins were deliberately covered before being pearlized. 

Offline Strandperle

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Emerald Isle Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 01:59:13 PM »
I'm with the others who think it is a factory flaw. A very cool one indeed! Makes her very special :)
Thanks to Lina for my avatar!
~My collection & sales homepage~

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 07:08:13 PM »
I've had my Baby Sea Princess since I got her new from the store when I was little, and I think her fins are like this. She's among the other childhood ponies in storage now, though, so I can't check. So I'd say factory flaw :)

Offline princessluna11706

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 10:31:50 PM »
I also agree with factory flaw!  The lines are too crisp to be fading/playwear IMO.  I think it actually looks nice that way!

The original Princess Luna.

I'm on Instagram! http://instagram.com/kitarei1 :)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 04:03:34 AM »
I agree with factory flaw also. I checked my Baby Pearly (the only fancy mermaid baby I have) and she has two perfect lines between her back and tail fins of the pearly coating. It looks like yours missed getting her tail fins painted at Hasbro.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline foalpatrol

• Hello, Clarice
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2016, 01:36:24 AM »
Thanks everyone - I really appreciate the input.  I'll be listing her for sale soon so I'll be able to note that it's almost certainly a factory flaw.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal