collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 Plushie with Bad Haircut  (Read 602 times)

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
G1 Plushie with Bad Haircut
« on: September 15, 2016, 09:34:03 AM »
When I was little, I got a Cotton Candy plushie with the absolute worst haircut ever. I recently dug her out of the attic, and would love to see her get fixed up. However, I can't find any information about putting new hair into a plush pony, and it's driving me crazy. Is there any way to do this, or is she stuck with short hair?
Also, if it is possible to give her new hair, what color is the closest match? The hair on the plush doesn't seem to match the plastic pony's hair.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
Re: G1 Plushie with Bad Haircut
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 12:00:30 PM »
If it's not possible to "rehair" her as a plush, maybe there's a way to give her some extensions that wouldn't be too obvious?

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 12:59:33 PM »
I imagine it would be something like ripping out the seam (not as violent as it sounds) where her hair is sewn in, finding a match for the hair, and sewing the seam back together. There are a few more steps that could be taken, like sewing the hair onto a "backer" or something to keep it all together, but overall I really don't think it would be too complicated.

She looks like she's in pretty good shape other than the haircut!

If you don't want to tackle this yourself, and you don't find someone else who actually knows what they are doing, I don't think it would scare me to try it. If no one else comes forward, send me a PM!
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline Em_L._Pea_Customs

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 01:38:07 PM »
I would think sewing hair in that is on a weft (https://www.amazon.com/Stepupgirl-Chisato-Color-Synthetic-Extension/dp/B01986MSHE/ref=sr_1_30_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1473971600&sr=1-30&keywords=stepupgirl+pink) would be easier than trying to use Dollyhair. 

Maybe an incision along hair line, remove old hair, lay new weft in, and then sew fur/fabric around it.  It might even be worth it to find her original small hand sewn section and open it up.  You could slightly de-stuff and then sew hair in from the inside.  Good luck! :)
*WANT LIST*
FKA cookhuman

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 02:02:16 PM »

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 02:03:57 PM »
Yeah, that! That's what I was trying to describe with the "backer," but it obviously made more sense in my head than in real life!
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 02:34:43 PM »
I would think sewing hair in that is on a weft (https://www.amazon.com/Stepupgirl-Chisato-Color-Synthetic-Extension/dp/B01986MSHE/ref=sr_1_30_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1473971600&sr=1-30&keywords=stepupgirl+pink) would be easier than trying to use Dollyhair. 

Maybe an incision along hair line, remove old hair, lay new weft in, and then sew fur/fabric around it.  It might even be worth it to find her original small hand sewn section and open it up.  You could slightly de-stuff and then sew hair in from the inside.  Good luck! :)

Oh, wow, this looks like it might just work!!! Thanks so much!!

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 02:42:04 PM »

Oh man, I suddenly have visions of pretty alt rehair plushies!

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 09:02:44 AM »
I have taken apart a G1 softie before.  For science!

The hair is in a weft as cookhuman says.  Once you get the new weft in you're going to need to hand sew up the seam, and you will need STRONG thread.  Maybe upholstery weight.  The faux fur is surprisingly resistant to being manipulated.  The tail is also in a weft and is sewn in depending on what pose the pony is in.  The close-mouthed Firefly is different than the open-mouthed one, for instance, in that c-m has her tail sewn in horizontally and o-m is vertical like the rainbow pony softies. 

I'm pretty sure the plushie hair is a really close match to dollyhair's Tea Rose but the texture is different.  It's thicker. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal