collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Mimic

have her
32 (42.7%)
want her
25 (33.3%)
army
3 (4%)
I'll pass today
14 (18.7%)
new to me
1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Voting closed: September 10, 2016, 12:58:35 PM

Author Topic: POTD 9/5/2016 Mimic  (Read 2319 times)

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
Re: POTD 9/5/2016 Mimic
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2016, 12:23:42 AM »
She's lovely, but she's even more expensive than the ponies I consider my most wanted grails. (German Princess Serena, SS Crumpet, Dazzleglow, and Baby Crumpet.)

Swap Wishlist

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2016, 01:41:27 AM »
I know she's a lot of people's favorite pony but she's never been one that I wanted *dodges fakies*  :throw: :throw:

Ponyfan
  What she said  :biggrin: :biggrin:
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2016, 05:04:52 AM »
Mimic wasn't sold in the UK so as a child I never knew she existed. I never saw the Magic Horseshoes until I was watching a pony video with my sister that she'd borrowed from a friend.

The quality was iffy so Mimic looked yellow. I really liked the idea of her, though. And I always did love Twinkle Eyes.

Flash forward three years. Its  summer 1997. I discover the internet, and US release ponies. My only image for Mimic is the scanned insert on Dream Valley, but it's a TE unicorn and I'm immediately smitten. Have no idea she's sought after. None at all. Just think she's stunning.

Flash forward a few months, and I get a fated, unbelievable telephone call from America. It's my first ever pony trade partner. I'm 15 years old, so all of this was with parental knowledge and involvement. This trader is a very experienced trader and a grandmother with family in the UK that she plans to visit in the spring of 1998. I can get UK ponies. She can get US ponies. We arrange to do some trading.

I'm still a teenager, so can't ship stuff at this point. It's complicated. We agree to exchange in person with my family present in Spring 1998.

However, she wants to send me and my sister a pony each in advance of the full trade as a reward for all our hard work sending her info about UK ponies, taking and processing physical photographs to mail to her, and collecting doubles at the carboot sale. Bear in mind right now this is a time when UK ponies are at a premium online, and I already have a box of Mountain Boys, Movie Stars, etc! She asked what ponies we liked, and I told her about Mimic. She said Mimic was a 'little hard' to get but she'd try, as she knew someone selling one in 'not so great' condition that she thought she might be able to obtain, 'if I didn't mind' the flaws. I didn't mind.

My sister's birthday is November, so my trade contact sent ponies for that timeframe. They arrived on 17th November, 1997.

Mimic for me and Best Wishes for Naynie. She also later managed to send us Powder and Truly.

So on 17th November, 1997, I got my first ever trade pony and the start of a huge and now almost 20 year span of online buying, selling, trading and involvement with the pony community.

The trade partner has since passed away, so Mimic also remains a memento of the first online ponyperson I ever met, and the amount of trust and kindness she gave me in sending such a rare pony to a teenager she'd never met without any guarantee I'd repay her. Of course I did, but the point is that Mimic to me encompasses the spirit of pony trading as it should be, and the memory of a good friend.

So here is my Mimic. Despite the claims of poor condition, her only major flaw is ink on her hooves.

And here she is :) now happily employed at the Scrapbook and still one of my favourite US ponies.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2016, 05:53:21 AM »
I've got her. :) She was my birthday present to myself one year. Every year on my birthday I buy myself a pricier pony that I wouldn't otherwise, and she was the first of these. She's in one of my favorite G1 poses, and I love her unique color.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

sunshine29102

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2016, 06:05:57 AM »
Have her, love her!  She's green, she's a unicorn, she's a Twinkle Eye.  All my favorite things in one!  Love this set - one of my all time favorites!

My Mimic is boxed up with her set mates at the moment, but here's a pic I dug up of my custom Mimic in G4 form... (reminds me, I need to change out her eye gems -finally found replacements that were more Twinkle Eyed style)

Mimic wasn't sold in the UK so as a child I never knew she existed. I never saw the Magic Horseshoes until I was watching a pony video with my sister that she'd borrowed from a friend.

The quality was iffy so Mimic looked yellow. I really liked the idea of her, though. And I always did love Twinkle Eyes.

Flash forward three years. Its  summer 1997. I discover the internet, and US release ponies. My only image for Mimic is the scanned insert on Dream Valley, but it's a TE unicorn and I'm immediately smitten. Have no idea she's sought after. None at all. Just think she's stunning.

Flash forward a few months, and I get a fated, unbelievable telephone call from America. It's my first ever pony trade partner. I'm 15 years old, so all of this was with parental knowledge and involvement. This trader is a very experienced trader and a grandmother with family in the UK that she plans to visit in the spring of 1998. I can get UK ponies. She can get US ponies. We arrange to do some trading.

I'm still a teenager, so can't ship stuff at this point. It's complicated. We agree to exchange in person with my family present in Spring 1998.

However, she wants to send me and my sister a pony each in advance of the full trade as a reward for all our hard work sending her info about UK ponies, taking and processing physical photographs to mail to her, and collecting doubles at the carboot sale. Bear in mind right now this is a time when UK ponies are at a premium online, and I already have a box of Mountain Boys, Movie Stars, etc! She asked what ponies we liked, and I told her about Mimic. She said Mimic was a 'little hard' to get but she'd try, as she knew someone selling one in 'not so great' condition that she thought she might be able to obtain, 'if I didn't mind' the flaws. I didn't mind.

My sister's birthday is November, so my trade contact sent ponies for that timeframe. They arrived on 17th November, 1997.

Mimic for me and Best Wishes for Naynie. She also later managed to send us Powder and Truly.

So on 17th November, 1997, I got my first ever trade pony and the start of a huge and now almost 20 year span of online buying, selling, trading and involvement with the pony community.

The trade partner has since passed away, so Mimic also remains a memento of the first online ponyperson I ever met, and the amount of trust and kindness she gave me in sending such a rare pony to a teenager she'd never met without any guarantee I'd repay her. Of course I did, but the point is that Mimic to me encompasses the spirit of pony trading as it should be, and the memory of a good friend.

So here is my Mimic. Despite the claims of poor condition, her only major flaw is ink on her hooves.

And here she is :) now happily employed at the Scrapbook and still one of my favourite US ponies.

I love this so much! What an awesome story!
Thanks for sharing, Taffeta!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 06:11:02 AM by sunshine29102 »

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2016, 06:21:10 AM »
Wow, I'd love the G4 one!

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2016, 06:55:34 AM »
I voted army because I had 4 or 5 of her a few years ago.  She kept popping up in lots for a while or mislabeled auctions and low BINs.  I sold the extras at a Fair a few years ago but I still have my childhood girl and the mint one I keep on display. 

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2016, 07:19:44 AM »

That's a wonderful story Taffeta! :)
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2016, 08:05:33 PM »
I have her and I really like her.  The one I'm holding onto is the 3rd or 4th now that I've found at a flea market/garage sale/thrift store.  I question if she's really all that rare.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 08:08:20 PM by FarDreamer »

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

sunshine29102

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2016, 09:14:48 PM »
I have her and I really like her.  The one I'm holding onto is the 3rd or 4th now that I've found at a flea market/garage sale/thrift store.  I question if she's really all that rare.

I think she's more "sought after" than rare, so to speak. :)

S.o.a.r.

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2016, 09:58:40 PM »
WANT HER! :heart:
She's actually one of the very few TE ponies I want; I've otherwise never really liked TE ponies except for on the show...  :blush:

Offline nemubones

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • With every mistake We must surely be learning -GH
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2016, 06:32:50 AM »
Have her and she's quite lovely but not my favorite of the TE sets. Favorite definitely  is a tie between Quackers, Fizzy, and Galaxy for me.

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2016, 12:37:10 PM »
I wanted her as a child after I saw "Magic Horseshoes".  Actually, I wanted her the moment I saw her "fall".  So dramatic.   :cry: 

Plus, she's green with a parrot on her.  That put her really high on my list as I wanted a pony of every color and I didn't have green or that pose.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal