collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: retro MLP toys and media  (Read 5499 times)

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
Re: retro MLP toys and media
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2016, 09:53:31 AM »
I think people are talking about the horror stories like that one episode of either Storage or Container Wars where they found a bunch of G3 ponies, and they took it to a supposed "pony expert" and they said the box (which would probably sell for the low 100's is worth $800 dollars).  There is fear of the uniformed entering the market.  My friend overpaid for a Surprise to add to his Pinkie Pie collection and didn't really care because he wanted her so badly.

And I'm certainly glad G1 ponies are cheap and for being in such good condition.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2016, 10:02:29 AM »
But as far as media it seems pointless. It really would just end up being FIM with a new veneer.
I don't want G1 ponies brought into FiM too much. Why? Because the more G1 characters they bring to the Brony fandom, the more Bronies will start buying up G1 ponies and causing the prices to skyrocket. It's already starting to be a problem, and if Hasbro gives the new fans more reason to want G1s, they will completely annihilate the collector community.

Now, collector re-releases like they did in 2007 for the 25th anniversary would be fine. Just don't introduce them into the show.

That is a crazy and presumptuous claim.  :pout: There are lots of FiM fans that have become fans of older gens and the Vintage Toy market will rise and fall regardless of who becomes a fan of said toy franchise and who does not.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 10:04:53 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Jorgito93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2016, 10:28:18 AM »
But as far as media it seems pointless. It really would just end up being FIM with a new veneer.
I don't want G1 ponies brought into FiM too much. Why? Because the more G1 characters they bring to the Brony fandom, the more Bronies will start buying up G1 ponies and causing the prices to skyrocket. It's already starting to be a problem, and if Hasbro gives the new fans more reason to want G1s, they will completely annihilate the collector community.

Now, collector re-releases like they did in 2007 for the 25th anniversary would be fine. Just don't introduce them into the show.

That is a crazy and presumptuous claim.  :pout: There are lots of FiM fans that have become fans of older gens and the Vintage Toy market will rise and fall regardless of who becomes a fan of said toy franchise and who does not.
And even if that was true, i think it's a little too late to worry about that: it's been 5 or 6 years since the brony fandom started.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2016, 10:45:40 AM »

And even if that was true, i think it's a little too late to worry about that: it's been 5 or 6 years since the brony fandom started.

Yeah, that ship has pretty much sailed.  :biggrin:

Offline kasin

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Studio BMFC
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2016, 02:53:22 PM »
Are you kidding??? Please make retro Peachy or baby cuddles a FIM character so I can sell doubles for silly prices and buy rare G1s I need with my peachy money!!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2016, 07:25:28 AM »
I still vote that we should let sleeping ponies lie. The past is what it was, it was beautiful, let's not tarnish it by forcing it into the present.

*nod* This has always been my view on it.

I love all the retro shirts that have been coming out, and stuff like the Dollymix ponies or the Running Press ponies, but anything further than that.. nope. I've never really been interested in the thought of G1s getting rereleased in G4 molds or G1 coming back or what-have-you. I like multi-gen customs (G1 -> G4 etc) but I wouldn't really want them to be an actual official thing. Not that I'd exactly be up in arms if they did ever happen, but I'd much prefer a new G4 character instead of retreading old ground, you know?

I really wouldn't want a new G1 cartoon. I don't even want to think about all the things that could go wrong there x__x; I like it for what it is, not for what it isn't, and I wouldn't ever want it to be "rebooted". Plus it'd be impractical, given that the average kid nowadays isn't familiar with the G1 characters and all. If that makes sense.. not sure how to word it, bleh.

Are you kidding??? Please make retro Peachy or baby cuddles a FIM character so I can sell doubles for silly prices and buy rare G1s I need with my peachy money!!
:rofl:

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2016, 08:19:42 AM »
I'd love more retro merch. I've been picking up the new vintage strawberry shortcakes. They're pretty fabulous. It hasn't stopped me from buying vintage ones either.

I think the problem is, pony people are cheap. Let's be honest, most of us aren't going to pay $7 for a new G1 pony when we can buy a used one for that. Now I would. I'd love it. Plus it would open our generation of ponies to our kids. Hasbro has done well with the vintage transformers and when the vintage GI Joes came out most stores couldn't keep them in stock. Girls are just cheap. It's sad but true.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2016, 08:28:58 AM »
Yeah, if they release common characters again in the same poses, then what's the point?  I could see giving them to children, but that's about it.  Especially if they aren't as good of quality as the originals, that was a lot of folks' complaint about the previous re-releases.  Now if they released interesting poses, new characters, or re-releases of rare ponies, then I would be excited about them even if the quality wasn't quite the same.  Re-released Lady Bird anyone?

Ehhhh. the retro market will always be more identifiable characters. millions will get warm fuzzies seeing bluebelle or bowtie (or any of the show ponies. NSS paradise anyone? mom and baby movie sets?) on a shelf again, and feel that feeling from a toyshop in the 80's they remember. People not on these boards won't feel anything super special to a lady bird or other obscure out of country release.

As for the quality. we apparently got what we asked for. I totally missed out on the "poll" that happened. they asked us what we wanted to pay, we said $5 a pony. we got $5 a pony quality in our get three ponies for around $15 giftsets. UGH. that explained the wonky cast, horrible hair and cheap everything.

I do like them handy to have modern safe toys to hand out to kids. I personally would love to see an adult market collectible $60-$75 giftset. like they do with barbie (that I don't collect) in a really really beautiful package. maybe make a colour truer to how they appeared in the art, or show but those "common girls", but of great quality (beautiful hair and casts, beautiful painted features) but to me the package will have to be a knockout, covered with real high quality G1 style art and not computer clippings. and the boxes will have to be interesting and beautiful on display.

Agreed. There's also a lot of retro TMNT merchandise in little kids' sizes. Kids today weren't around for the '80's Turtles, either, but I think it's neat that they're on a lot of the merchandise instead of it only being the current Nick version that's available. And I think a lot of today's kids would probably love the silliness of the '80's Turtles if introduced to it. Retro merchandise in kids' sizes is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned. It helps bring in a new generation of fans!

This is where things are often actually for the parents.  I like to buy my niece TMNT stuff because my brother in law likes them.  Then they get to match!  I've never been into TMNT myself, and I still really like some of the re-release stuff they have out right now.

Agreed with you. mom and dad want the nostalga for their kids. :) one day those kids will be forcing shopkins (or other toys) THEY lusted after and remember lining store shelves on their children. haha.

Hasbro will do what it will do. Collecting online was always in a state of flux, first the huge wave of us who found the internet and realized we were NOT the only weirdos over the age of 10 who still wanted our my little ponies, made little checklists at home, spent every free weekend, and time online scouring second hand sources for more even as the line had been pulled from shelves. our ponies were never forgotten in boxes, or sold away when we got "too old". as the group built, there was then trickle ins and always have been people that trickle in, they  found ponies at a yardsale, in the basement etc. triggers "oh man I LOVED these!" and went online and found "us"

g2's in happy meals and on store shelves again brought in more people. a lot more people. many who loved g1 and were angry with the redesign but picked up collecting from seeing a MLP section in wallmart. and some who LOVED the new g2's. People got their kids into it.

g3's again, lots of nostalgia people. buying g1's and collecting g3's with their children. people who came to groups as strictly G3 collectors.

g4 has been the most unusual in that the show was inexplicably a huge hit with men! (again, mom's and kids also finding the new MLP)
I have already noticed really crazy pricing on some G1 things. Not to worry though. For each long term collector created there will many many many more who get really into a hobby and fizzle out, tire of it, get bored, realize they "spent too much" and just don't enjoy them the same. We'll get some new long terms, but most will move on to other things in time.

I'm not overly fussed with what will happen. if it's a new market retro item I want, I'll buy it. if I don't like something I will not waste my money or space in my house for the sake of some kind of completeness.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 08:33:03 AM by FantasticFirefly »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2016, 09:01:22 AM »
Ehhhh. the retro market will always be more identifiable characters. millions will get warm fuzzies seeing bluebelle or bowtie (or any of the show ponies. NSS paradise anyone? mom and baby movie sets?) on a shelf again, and feel that feeling from a toyshop in the 80's they remember. People not on these boards won't feel anything super special to a lady bird or other obscure out of country release.

I don't necessarily agree.  What was most recognizable about My Little Ponies was the shape of them, not the characters.  People will have more nostalgia for a pony they had as a kid, but also for the general concept and molds of MLP (G1).

An example:  My mom collects Fisher-Price Little People and she gave me some extras to sell off.  Little People are even less character-based than MLP, with the figures being nameless sort of purposely generic:

But when one of my friends came to visit, all it took was one glimpse of them for him to exclaim "Are those Fisher-Price toys?  I loved those!" and start reminiscing about the sets he had had and how much fun they'd been.

Also, I don't think the movie ponies and show ponies are as identifiable to the general public as most collectors think.  It just didn't have that much of an audience.  When I started collecting online, even most COLLECTORS had never seen the show, or had seen maybe one or two episodes which they barely remembered.  (MLP Tales was actually better remembered.)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2016, 09:19:48 AM »
I still vote that we should let sleeping ponies lie. The past is what it was, it was beautiful, let's not tarnish it by forcing it into the present.

*nod* This has always been my view on it.

I love all the retro shirts that have been coming out, and stuff like the Dollymix ponies or the Running Press ponies, but anything further than that.. nope. I've never really been interested in the thought of G1s getting rereleased in G4 molds or G1 coming back or what-have-you. I like multi-gen customs (G1 -> G4 etc) but I wouldn't really want them to be an actual official thing. Not that I'd exactly be up in arms if they did ever happen, but I'd much prefer a new G4 character instead of retreading old ground, you know?

One advantage of retro replicas is they would give customizers an option other than limiting them to the occasional too far gone original. Especially since some collectors feel there is no such thing as too far gone.

As for the quality. we apparently got what we asked for. I totally missed out on the "poll" that happened. they asked us what we wanted to pay, we said $5 a pony. we got $5 a pony quality in our get three ponies for around $15 giftsets. UGH. that explained the wonky cast, horrible hair and cheap everything.

I do like them handy to have modern safe toys to hand out to kids. I personally would love to see an adult market collectible $60-$75 giftset. like they do with barbie (that I don't collect) in a really really beautiful package. maybe make a colour truer to how they appeared in the art, or show but those "common girls", but of great quality (beautiful hair and casts, beautiful painted features) but to me the package will have to be a knockout, covered with real high quality G1 style art and not computer clippings. and the boxes will have to be interesting and beautiful on display.

I personally think the price point should be somewhere in between. The reason the retro releases of SSC are doing well is because they are just the right price for a nostalgic parent to feel okay with getting them for their kids to play with. A $10 pony would have good quality and an attractive price point and not feel like a fancy collectors item that should stay in box and never be played with. That would limit the market too much.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 09:26:33 AM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2016, 09:46:17 AM »

I personally think the price point should be somewhere in between. The reason the retro releases of SSC are doing well is because they are just the right price for a nostalgic parent to feel okay with getting them for their kids to play with. A $10 pony would have good quality and an attractive price point and not feel like a fancy collectors item that should stay in box and never be played with. That would limit the market too much.

I knew I would be in the minority. But Jem (also hasbro) did have a high end for adults doll. :) I loved the quality on that. if I were a Jem collector (I won't even ever GO down that collecting rabbit hole without a large windfall!) I would own all of the new released dolls. they were just so well done. http://fashiondollchronicles.blogspot.ca/2012/10/first-wave-of-jem-and-holograms-dolls.html

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2016, 04:26:14 PM »

I knew I would be in the minority. But Jem (also hasbro) did have a high end for adults doll. :) I loved the quality on that. if I were a Jem collector (I won't even ever GO down that collecting rabbit hole without a large windfall!) I would own all of the new released dolls. they were just so well done. http://fashiondollchronicles.blogspot.ca/2012/10/first-wave-of-jem-and-holograms-dolls.html

The Integrity Jem dolls were also a huge improvement from the originals. There isn't much that can be done to make a plastic pony with rooted hair higher quality than the originals. $10 is about what the original prices would be in today's money. Any higher price would be due to a limited quantity being made and tbh I'd not want them to be super limited. My biggest peeve is when something is super limited like the LE Platinum Disney dolls because you end up paying much more just for the rarity.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2016, 06:36:20 PM »
I don't necessarily agree.  What was most recognizable about My Little Ponies was the shape of them, not the characters.  People will have more nostalgia for a pony they had as a kid, but also for the general concept and molds of MLP (G1).

That's what I think.  Reel in the nostalgia crowd with ponies and artwork that is familiar, but as they likely won't remember more than one or two specific characters, keep the collectors interested by releasing unique characters that will interest those of us who can identify all of them.

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2016, 06:40:53 PM »

Your not. Those Jem dolls are amazing!

Offline bewilderness

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2016, 04:00:57 AM »
This is actually one of my big dreams, starting a toy company, licensing G1 from Hasbro, and reviving the G1 pony line.  I've got several ideas for what I'd want to do.  I've even thought about contacting Hasbro to see how much it would be to license the rights, starting up a kickstarter fund,  taking out a business loan--I've done a lot of dreaming about this.

If some other company did this, in order to be done right, I think they'd need to have a long-time G1 collector (or collectors) to consult with and be part of the project.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 04:05:03 AM by bewilderness »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal