collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Can a Pony's Personality Affect Whether You Buy Them?  (Read 1916 times)

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Can a Pony's Personality Affect Whether You Buy Them?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2016, 08:08:22 AM »
I have this problem with Heart Throb. She was my third pony ever, and so she should be one of my favorites. But her needy love-lorn personality on one cartoon made her dive down my favorites list. I've been hanging out with her lately, trying to get to know her again, but so far it isn't working. She's still my buddy, I still love her, but we're too different.
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2016, 09:29:51 AM »
Interesting thoughts here! Not having seen the 1980s cartoons, the G1s I like are all about the colors and poses. My kid, on the other hand, picked his first round of G1s based on the characters as he watched the show.  Same with G3s and G2s--all about the colors. but G4, I have watched the cartoons, and the personalities do affect my propensity for one over another. I love Pinkie Pie's silliness and bounceyness, and absolutely dislike the color pink, nor are balloons a symbol I would choose, given a choice. Yet, despite my preference for Fluttershy's colors, here I sit with a Pinkie pie army (have narrowed my G4 focus to all the different forms of PP and any background characters that they come out with in the playful size. Keeping just one of each of the other mane six).

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2016, 10:52:44 AM »
Interesting thoughts here! Not having seen the 1980s cartoons, the G1s I like are all about the colors and poses. My kid, on the other hand, picked his first round of G1s based on the characters as he watched the show.  Same with G3s and G2s--all about the colors. but G4, I have watched the cartoons, and the personalities do affect my propensity for one over another. I love Pinkie Pie's silliness and bounceyness, and absolutely dislike the color pink, nor are balloons a symbol I would choose, given a choice. Yet, despite my preference for Fluttershy's colors, here I sit with a Pinkie pie army (have narrowed my G4 focus to all the different forms of PP and any background characters that they come out with in the playful size. Keeping just one of each of the other mane six).

My happy thought for the day is you sitting there, surrounded by Pinkie Pies. (Like many of us.)
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2016, 11:05:23 AM »
On the upside, I love Paradise ' character, but was turned off by her clashing colors for a while...until I got one anyway. Fell in love with her toy form.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline HappyHounds

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2016, 11:17:05 AM »
A very interesting question!

I would have to say no for me as well.
I don't take a ponys' personality into consideration when buying/looking for favorites.
Previously known as: PeaxhyPie

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2016, 11:22:57 AM »
Sometimes, but not always. For example, I agree about Truly but she is so pretty and in my favorite pose, so I would like to buy her someday!

One reason why I never really wanted Sundance is because she never appeared in the shows except as a cameo. Just - random pony sold with Megan. She's fine. Not particularly striking, in my least favorite pose, and she wasn't a significant character in the TV series, so I don't feel a particular connection to her. I wouldn't avoid her - I'd be happy enough if she were in  a lot I bought or I'd pick her up at a thrift store - but she's not a pony I'll go out of my way to buy.

Online SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2016, 11:49:45 AM »
I dont base characters off of cartoons to the toys. I think of them as separate from the toys too.  I do though however have that exception with Surprise. I saw her personality in the Tv show and wanted to buy her instantly.

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2016, 12:40:03 PM »
Sometimes, but not always. For example, I agree about Truly but she is so pretty and in my favorite pose, so I would like to buy her someday!
She is a very nice pony.  I actually did the opposite of trying to expand her personality.  She is still bossy and snoody, but she's a nurse and comes from blend of landed gentry and hill ponies (based on the story of how my great grandmother and great grandfather met).  She is a wildcrafter, knowing what herbs have curative properties and being able to find groundwater with a willow switch.  Basically make her more than the airheaded southern belle the show presented her as.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Purpleglasses

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2016, 01:26:23 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, all G1 ponies are blank canvases I can project any personality traits onto I like. (To be honest...when I get a new one I still sometimes imagine a few things about them.) This is probably because as a kid I got G1 toys first and made up stuff about them. By the time I was buying ponies the show was off the air, and when I found the video of the My Little Pony movie (the theatrical one with the Smooze) I was not that impressed and liked what I had come up with more. I would never not buy a pony I liked the look of because I didn't like how they were written on the show. To me it's a hastily written toy commercial. No offense meant if you grew up with it and it holds a special place in your heart!

With G4 I can relate to wanting lots of toys of a character because I like them on the show, but I just don't like G4 toys that much. I find them static, so I bought the main six, Luna and Celeatia because I liked them as characters and stopped. I got the Funkos of the big six background characters. I'm excited to get the Gaurdians of Harmony, and would happily buy more Funkos or Funko Pop ponies as I come across them. But do I need every Pinkie Pie made because she speaks to me as a character? She does, but no, I do not.

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2016, 01:32:56 PM »
It can, but only in a good way. For instance, I love Firefly thanks to Rescue at midnight castle, but no amount of bad personality traits can make me dislike a pony. The same goes for G4, where I'll buy ponies I like in FiM, but also annoying ones if they're pretty. That said, my favorite G4s are ones that haven't appeared in the show at all, so design is definitely more important :)

Offline Jorgito93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2016, 03:57:14 PM »
I don't think a personnality i don't like can make me not buy a pony, but the reverse can happen.I bought Truly because she is truly beautiful, but i mostly hate her on the show.On the other hand, i'm not a fan of Wind Whistler's colors, but she's such a great character in the show that i want her.Same for Paradise, i love white ponies but i was not sure about wanting her...And then i saw revolt of paradise estate, and i have just one thing to say: BOOM BOOM BOOM.Since i saw this scene i want her.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2016, 04:44:56 PM »
No, because when I was a child, I didn't watch the show.
However, I remember disliking Cera from Land Before Time, I had the plush toy but never really played with her, and when we got merchandise, I always preferred Ducky and Littlefoot.
That's why now my plush Cera looks still near mint, whereas the others were well loved, and are really well-travelled.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2016, 05:49:52 PM »
No, because when I was a child, I didn't watch the show.
However, I remember disliking Cera from Land Before Time, I had the plush toy but never really played with her, and when we got merchandise, I always preferred Ducky and Littlefoot.
That's why now my plush Cera looks still near mint, whereas the others were well loved, and are really well-travelled.

I always wanted Cera! I'd love to see a picture of Cera and Ducky! I've got Littlefoot too. He was one of my favorite plushies and my only childhood toy left. Be belongs to my daughter now.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2016, 12:10:18 AM »
Here are they! Petrie and Spike belong to my brother.
I can still remember the Christmas I got Littlefoot, I don't think I have ever loved another plush toy so much. He even got my doll's clothes to wear, after I cut a hole for his tail. And I don't know how many tears were cried into his soft fur (lol - dino with fur).

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal