collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Calling all MLP cleaning experts for help on Gypsy  (Read 753 times)

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
Calling all MLP cleaning experts for help on Gypsy
« on: August 01, 2016, 07:35:06 AM »
Hi all cleaning experts,

I have a Gypsy who has unfortuntately received some marks after she entered my care. I never ever had any pony since childhood who I actually managed to give markings I could not remove, and it makes me supersad to think that this happened in my care :cry:

I have tried magic eraser (intensively), but even though the markings faded a little bit - it did not help much. I tried acetone as well, very careful - but since she is a Gypsy I feel that the acetone is bleaching her orange color more than the actual markings so I don't want to use that (and it did not help at all on the tiny spot I tried it on... >_<)

So, now I am at a loss! Is there any way to remove this that I have not yet tried - or is this pretty girl doomed to live with these markings from now on?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Gypsy by Katrine, on Flickr
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all MLP cleaning experts for help on Gypsy
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 08:23:57 AM »
Sunfading....
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 08:40:40 AM »
Do you know what Gypsy ran into that caused the stains?
Unfortunately if neither acetone nor surface abrasion (magic eraser) is removing it, sun-fading may be  the only option.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 08:57:21 AM »
That is exactly it, I don't know what caused it :blink: She just turned up like this after been missing for a couple of weeks... It might have been my old jewelry box from childhood (which is silver), as I found her in the same drawer - but she wasn't touching it... so I couldn't be sure. It was the only thing in there who could have given her the stain - but I don't know if she was in the drawer all the time. I didn't put her in there.... :cry:

Would sun fading work on Gypsy though? I thought that color would just be ruined by sunfading?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 09:00:56 AM by katrine2309 »

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 01:39:45 PM »
That is exactly it, I don't know what caused it :blink: She just turned up like this after been missing for a couple of weeks... It might have been my old jewelry box from childhood (which is silver), as I found her in the same drawer - but she wasn't touching it... so I couldn't be sure. It was the only thing in there who could have given her the stain - but I don't know if she was in the drawer all the time. I didn't put her in there.... :cry:

The drawer itself? Soft vinyl in contact with raw wood can stain. or any kind of cloth material that can transfer print or dye if something like that was also in there.

Offline Chelsea7

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 01:59:02 PM »
Oxyclean could help! Although if her color is sensitive to brightening solutions I would be cautious..
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 04:10:01 PM by Chelsea7 »
My Tumblr

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 02:30:59 PM »
Oxyclean could help! Although if her color is sensitive to brightening solutions I would be cautious..

I really, really wouldn't do that. She's in such lovely shape otherwise, it's a lot of risk of damage for a stain that doesn't look too terrible. and I doubt it would get that out as it's bled in pretty deeply.

If it bothered me too much I'd give a couple days in a sunny window when it's not too hot and add it to the collection once the mark is lightened.

Offline Chelsea7

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 03:02:00 PM »

I really, really wouldn't do that. She's in such lovely shape otherwise, it's a lot of risk of damage for a stain that doesn't look too terrible. and I doubt it would get that out as it's bled in pretty deeply.

If it bothered me too much I'd give a couple days in a sunny window when it's not too hot and add it to the collection once the mark is lightened.

Thats true, the hair could get fried. What if you just treated the stain spot? It couldn't bleach the vinyl that much, could it?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 03:04:25 PM by Chelsea7 »
My Tumblr

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 03:51:07 PM »
Oxyclean (you also mean the stuff advertised by Billy Mays?) Likely not.... if you applied a paste mixed with H202 possibly, but I wouldn't personally in the event the paste part does something funny long term (there's recipes online). Yeah, the hair, paint and glitter is my concern. some people soaked ponies in 3% H202 successfully so far but other ponies have been damaged this way. Ponies who are a lost cause anyway, it's worth a shot right? but otherwise beautiful ponies sometimes living with a small mark is better then being unlucky and for some reason treatment causes other not nice looking damage.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 03:53:49 PM »

Thats true, the hair could get fried. What if you just treated the stain spot? It couldn't bleach the vinyl that much, could it?

From my experience I don't think oxyclean would help this and I don't think it should be applied neat as a paste anyway.  I agree with Firefly's idea of a couple of days of sunfading.  Have you made sure there is no water or condensation inside? If her head is loose take it off but fade both parts together.  Loosely cover the eyes, symbols and hair.  If there is no change in a week or so we might have to have a re-think but sometimes stains like that can fade away in just a couple of days.  Fingers crossed!!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Chelsea7

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 04:08:14 PM »
Oxyclean (you also mean the stuff advertised by Billy Mays?) Likely not.... if you applied a paste mixed with H202 possibly, but I wouldn't personally in the event the paste part does something funny long term (there's recipes online). Yeah, the hair, paint and glitter is my concern. some people soaked ponies in 3% H202 successfully so far but other ponies have been damaged this way. Ponies who are a lost cause anyway, it's worth a shot right? but otherwise beautiful ponies sometimes living with a small mark is better then being unlucky and for some reason treatment causes other not nice looking damage.
Actually now that I think about it, the one I did the Oxy on was a pretty gross yellowed pony I had rehaired. I have used Oxy on others but now I need to do my research before I end up damaging ponies with tiny flaws.. I am glad I haven't had that happen yet!

I guess sunfading would be the only option!

My Tumblr

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 01:50:15 AM »
Thank you so much for all help everyone! I will consider the sunfading then - I wouldn't try OxyClean either - as she is such a pretty girl otherwise and the stain isn't THAT bad... she is a lovely pony. Except the missing tail she is otherwise in mint condition, and I don't want to try anything that will make it worse. I actually thought that I lost her - so when she reappeared I was just greatful she wasn't missing anymore - but then the stain kind of reminds me that I didn't take well enough care of her and then I feel guilty..

I will let you know how it works out, just two quick questions though:
- Sunfading needs to be in direct sunlight right? Perhaps a stupid question, but I don't have much direct sunlight in my apartment (and I live in Norway so we don't have sun everyday.... ;)).
- What do you use to cover up her symbols, eyes and hair?

Kat

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 03:04:01 PM »
I would wrap her up in tin foil just leaving the mark exposed and stick her in a window or on a balcony if you have one so the sun is only going to hit the stain. Depending on how much sun you get, it could take a few weeks/months to fade. Just check on her daily and hopefully it starts fading :)

Post Merge: August 02, 2016, 03:19:30 PM

Oh, also, I have a tail from a baity deflocked SS Paradise that I'm going to customize....I think it's a pretty close match to Gypsy if you want it. :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 03:19:30 PM by shadowlark »

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 01:54:11 AM »

Oh, also, I have a tail from a baity deflocked SS Paradise that I'm going to customize....I think it's a pretty close match to Gypsy if you want it. :)

Oh yes! I do! I've been searching for one for a long time, and I know she has a match at dollyhair - but the minimum purchase cost is more than the hair I need for Gypsy. I'll send you a PM :)

Thank you for the tip though, I will foil her up and set her in my windowsill. Thanks everyone :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal