collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Display Rooms - Form or Function?  (Read 1173 times)

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Display Rooms - Form or Function?
« on: July 13, 2016, 10:55:29 AM »
I've completely redone my display room. Before, I had all 500-600 ponies on display along with hundreds of LPS and dolls, and a few dozen FSF. It was just too much. So, I bought 10 class cabinets and tastefully filled them. What does that mean for my collection? Well, only about 50 ponies are now on display, and a few dozen dolls. The rest are all carefully stored in plastic bins in the closet.

I feel much better about the room. It's cleaner, less dust, and you can actually enjoy the display. You can see entire ponies now instead of just their snouts! Yes, it means that 90% of my collection is not on display at any given time, but I'm making my peace with that. It just means that I'll rotate who is on display every few months, probably every season.

For me, I'd rather have form over function. While my previous layout was functional (I was able to display almost 1000 items) it had no form. Now, it looks more like you've walked into a museum or gallery space. It makes me feel soooo much better!

So, which do you prefer?

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
Re: Display Rooms - Form or Function?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 11:15:25 AM »
Pictures!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline apanda0622

• Trade Count: (+177)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 11:16:46 AM »
I actually just changed my displays but opposite of what you did LOL.  I had a few pieces of my huge pony, vintage toy collection, and Monster High dolls in a few glass cases.  I recently cleared out a room and filled it with bookcases and have been taking all my collection out to display.  I kept the glass cases just for Monster High dolls. 

I made the change because I wanted to see all my toys and felt sad they were all boxed up.  Yes it will be more to clean, but it makes me happy!  So that is what you should do - what makes you happy whether a huge display or small :)

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 11:18:21 AM »
Being able to see my ponies is really important to me. I don't want them packed away. I don't want them crowded tightly onto shelves. I want to see their faces and cutie marks and hair colors without them all running together. To me I'd rather have a smaller collection I can appreciate this way than have a large one to feel content in just having all the ponies I think are cute. Organized displays are preferred over what's just going to best fit the ponies for me.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 11:23:08 AM »
I feel like a hypocrite saying this now, but Form. I don't want a messy or cluttered feeling room. I want my displays to really showcase all the stuff I invested $$ and years in accumulating. I only have the space to do G1 the way I want. I don't really consider myself an overall pony collector (my buddy pretty much kept up with almost everything). I keep some of the other gen's, and eventually they'll be in the office with the other small toy collections we have.

My current arrangement is neither form, nor function. I did create a plan though to be able to display my g1's tastefully when I have the finances for enough shelving. :) My space is floored, painted and I have a overall colour pallet picked out. Working on a shelf I picked up yesterday that will fit the glass doors I have. that display will be just crammed when it's done- just to get as much of my G1 stuff out of bins. which looks even worse! a room taken up by totes and boxes like we're moving.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 11:35:26 AM »
Eventually my goal is a mix of both. A functional room able to display a lot of ponies, dolls, and other toys that still manages to look nice. I don't mind having my stuff a little crowded, but that probably means different things to me than other people.

To me, Mouse Heaven is the absolute perfect display. All photos belong to Mel Birnkrant and are of his amazing home and collection. The main display is absolutely massive and cluttered. These displays are not meant to be touched or messed with so they're very crowded and carefully organized. I've never seen a collection display with anywhere near the same impact.

Spoiler

Something exactly like that wouldn't work for me, as one of my greatest joys is photographing my collections, but I dream of having a display room along those lines. Masterful, eye-catching displays that show off what I've worked to hard to collect in an interesting way. I love the whole "room box" thing for dolls and I hope to have similar displays, showing off my collection in different 'worlds' with accessories and such.

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 11:41:27 AM »
Eventually my goal is a mix of both. A functional room able to display a lot of ponies, dolls, and other toys that still manages to look nice. I don't mind having my stuff a little crowded, but that probably means different things to me than other people.

To me, Mouse Heaven is the absolute perfect display. All photos belong to Mel Birnkrant and are of his amazing home and collection. The main display is absolutely massive and cluttered. These displays are not meant to be touched or messed with so they're very crowded and carefully organized. I've never seen a collection display with anywhere near the same impact.

Spoiler

Something exactly like that wouldn't work for me, as one of my greatest joys is photographing my collections, but I dream of having a display room along those lines. Masterful, eye-catching displays that show off what I've worked to hard to collect in an interesting way. I love the whole "room box" thing for dolls and I hope to have similar displays, showing off my collection in different 'worlds' with accessories and such.

That's a great example! I wish I had the room for that. One of the members of my doll club has a very similar sort of set up. It's really well done, and even though you are surrounded from dolls everywhere, it's done in a very organized manner. Honestly, the only reason I ever dream about getting married and owning a home is so that I can have a massive, MASSIVE display room!

Pictures!

I will, once everything is all set!

I actually just changed my displays but opposite of what you did LOL.  I had a few pieces of my huge pony, vintage toy collection, and Monster High dolls in a few glass cases.  I recently cleared out a room and filled it with bookcases and have been taking all my collection out to display.  I kept the glass cases just for Monster High dolls. 

I made the change because I wanted to see all my toys and felt sad they were all boxed up.  Yes it will be more to clean, but it makes me happy!  So that is what you should do - what makes you happy whether a huge display or small :)

Ha, how funny. Yes, entirely about what makes you happy!

Being able to see my ponies is really important to me. I don't want them packed away. I don't want them crowded tightly onto shelves. I want to see their faces and cutie marks and hair colors without them all running together. To me I'd rather have a smaller collection I can appreciate this way than have a large one to feel content in just having all the ponies I think are cute. Organized displays are preferred over what's just going to best fit the ponies for me.

I completely see your point. I used to feel that way too, but then I realized that even though my entire collection was on display, I wasn't able to appreciate everyone due to overcrowding. If I didn't also collect dolls, I could probably display all of my ponies in a neat and orderly way.

I feel like a hypocrite saying this now, but Form. I don't want a messy or cluttered feeling room. I want my displays to really showcase all the stuff I invested $$ and years in accumulating. I only have the space to do G1 the way I want. I don't really consider myself an overall pony collector (my buddy pretty much kept up with almost everything). I keep some of the other gen's, and eventually they'll be in the office with the other small toy collections we have.

My current arrangement is neither form, nor function. I did create a plan though to be able to display my g1's tastefully when I have the finances for enough shelving. :) My space is floored, painted and I have a overall colour pallet picked out. Working on a shelf I picked up yesterday that will fit the glass doors I have. that display will be just crammed when it's done- just to get as much of my G1 stuff out of bins. which looks even worse! a room taken up by totes and boxes like we're moving.

I'm excited to see what you come up with! It can be a lot of work, but it's so rewarding.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 11:44:13 AM »
I remember you posting about those glass cabinets in the IKEA thread.  I just moved so all my ponies are packed in boxes, and I am debating this very aspect.  In the past I've crammed as many ponies as possible onto bookshelves, but they do feel cluttered (and some tend to fall off the shelves).  I may go your route and rotate my collection on a smaller scale.

I'd love to see pictures of your display, BTW!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 12:13:01 PM »
OK, I snapped a few progress photos. Please excuse the poor photos. That room doesn't get much light, and I had to put the blinds down to lessen the glare. Right now my summer ponies are on display. There are still a few things yet to be done...

- I ran out of tall risers for the ponies, so I need to buy more so that everyone can be seen properly.

- Several displays are still empty. I have BJD being painted that will fill them.

- I haven't yet filled the free-standing shelves to the right. One doll each will probably go there.

- I haven't decided what to do atop each cabinet. It's a little too bare...but the dolls are a bit too tall for the sloped ceiling and I don't want ponies on the doll cabinets, so I'm not sure

- Still need to get a little rug and 'viewing bench' for the wall opposite the displays

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 12:18:59 PM »
I have a pony room and its sole purpose is for ponies, so if I can't fit them in there they certainly aren't going to fit anywhere else in tubs.  I maximize my display area with risers and pegboard.  So, for me it's a decision of function first, form second.  I like to tastefully arrange bits of my collection, like my porcelains, but until I have more shelving for the most part everything just has to fit somewhere. 

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 01:03:25 PM »
Your display is super cute!  Preferences probably depend on personality.  It would drive me nuts not having all my ponies out.  But I only collect ponies and FSF, so they aren't competing for space with anything else.  Oh the dust though, I would kill to have shelves that can close and keep out dust.  That's too expensive for right now though.

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 01:30:07 PM »
This display is beautiful!! It does really showcase your collection!!

I dream of having something like that someday, but right now my shelves are function over form, I just don't have the room in my 2 bedroom apt. :(
That being said my collection does tend to stray from room to room, but in general I am a bit of a clutter-lover, and it shows haha. Here is a shot of my collection pre-pony fair and after. I had to get more shelves haha. This doesn't include any of my takaras, legos, anime/pokemon and plushes. They have other homes XD

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 01:37:41 PM »
You could put labels on top of the doll cases. "Monster High ~ Midnight Dance" or whatever their sets are called. "Monster High ~ Year 1" etc

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 01:41:01 PM »
I want both!  I want a room that's big enough to display everything nicely.  I'm not a huge fan of the rows and rows of little ponies smushed together on shelves. 

However, seeing as I don't have several million dollars to buy a house big enough to handle my collection like that, I seem to have gone for a hybrid kind of thing.  I have quite a few ponies out on display, but it's only a tiny fraction of my collection.  And they're not packed in there in rows.  90-95% of my collection is in bins tucked wherever I can find space.  If I could have a room that had enough space for more ponies, but also a really big walk in closet that I could use to store the rest, that would probably be the ideal space on the budget I have:p

I did fairly recently get a second large display case, and that one has a much bigger focus on form than function.  It's not only got a lot less ponies per shelf, some shelves are just 100% other collections, and there's a lot of extra unused space.  Well, "a lot" compared to the other cabinet:p

My main two cabinets:

The left one is the first cabinet, and it's pretty full.  The right one is the newer cabinet, and there's more of an emphasis on making the display uncluttered, particularly on the top three shelves.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 07:13:26 PM »
I wouldn't call this cluttered- that is beautiful. the floor space is a touch too crowded for my personal taste- but those shelves all look lush, custom and very thoughtfully arranged.  not like mashing 400 ponies in a display so only noses and bangs show when that same space would artfully accommodate 250. alas I am not rich so my shelf will be stuffed like that until I get more.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 07:14:52 AM by FantasticFirefly »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal