collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Putting out feelers - vet tech  (Read 772 times)

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Putting out feelers - vet tech
« on: June 27, 2016, 08:37:54 AM »
I volunteer with a local animal rescue that also happens to be run by my vet.  It's a fabulous organization and they are like family and I always find myself wishing I could do more to help.  It occurred to me that the local community college offers an associate's degree for vet techs, and I wondered if maybe this was something I could pursue?  I don't have anything to base my questions off of, but I know we have some techs here so I thought I'd ask for input.  :)

I have a degree (BS Applied Sociology, graduated 2005) and I work a very good full time job.  This would be something I would do just as "backup" for the rescue/vet.  I live alone and other than sewing I have no real hobbies, so as long as I am able to take the majority of classes at night or over the internet time wouldn't be an issue.  It is actually an interest of mine and always had been, so it's not something I just pulled out of my butt one day.  ;)  Given that I don't plan to pursue a career in the field would this be a waste of time/money or would it be beneficial to anyone?  Even just being able to administer vaccines would be a huge help to the rescue, since its staff is also the staff for the vet and they are often overworked. 

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Putting out feelers - vet tech
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 09:26:10 AM »
Well...... I'm of the opinion that it's never a waste of resources to learn something. I think people should learn as much as they can and become the best they can be. From my work with rescues, it does seem like this would certainly make you more useful to them and if you want to learn anyway and are in a position to be able to, I say go for it. And since you aren't looking to make a career out of it, even if something happens and you don't quite finish, you'll still have learned things in the process that I'm sure would be helpful.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 12:08:32 PM »
Not sure how it works in your area, but in this state, after you complete a vet tech course you need to take an exam to be certified. The only problem I could see is that if you become certified, but then don't work as a vet tech for awhile, you might need to re-take the exam after a certain amount of time. But I don't know how things are regulated in your area, so I'd look into that!

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 01:49:10 PM »
Maybe talk to your vet and see if it's worth it? A lot of things you can probably be taught quickly without having to go to school. My vets have taught me how to give sub-q needles, intra-muscular needles, and sub-q fluids so I can take care of my cats at home, and for the rescue I'm part of, I've given a number of cats the FRCP vaccine. There might be regulations about rabies vaccines but you could probably learn and do  95% of what you need without taking courses.

Princess Lala

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 04:52:38 PM »
Being a veterinarian technician is my dream career! If I had the chance to go to college or had a degree to build up instead of worrying paying bills and coming out of debt you bet I would be doing that! I know there are vet tech school out there that are technical and hands-on, I think some kind of xray/radiology license is something to acquire too in the process.

I say look into it and go for it! :3 My best friend is actually a vet for exotic animals and I love to hear about her job. It doesn't pay the best, but it is very rewarding! :heart:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 08:55:40 AM »
I don't know how easy / hard it is to get a job, but I agree that it's never a waste to learn something new! :)

I think the tricky part might be finding online or night classes.  My guess is that, being all science-y, it would require some lab classes, and depending how many students the program is serving, those might be scheduled during the day.

But what the heck, it's worth a shot!  Definitely look up programs in your area and see what's available! :)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 09:45:09 PM »
Many animal hospitals will train you on the job; that's what I did.  My advice is to start working on their hospital side, maybe as a volunteer or as a paid employee.  See if you like it before you decide to invest in classes.  I'd say to work there for at least 6 months (either on the side, or on weekends) before you take the next step into classes.  That may seem like a long time, but it will give you a real sense of what it's like and whether you want to stick with it.  For many people, the romance fades after a month or two, and they quit.

Lots of people say that education is always valuable.  Yes yes, but don't forget that classes are an INVESTMENT.  Are they worth it?  You may be able to learn everything you want for now on the job without having to pay for classes, so do you really need them?  Especially if you have a good sociology job.  I know TONS of people with expensive degrees who can't get jobs in their fields.  So let me tell you now that vet tech jobs top out at about $35,000 per year.  That's for LICENSED technicians; unlicensed ones make even less!

IMPORTANT:  If you do decide to take classes, make sure you take an ACCREDITED vet tech program.  Lots of small colleges have vet tech programs, but if they aren't accredited by the . . . AVMA, I think?  I can't remember; I've been out of the field for about a decade, and I'm rusty.  Anyway, if they aren't accredited by the veterinary board, then their degrees aren't worth anything; you can't get your license through them.  And they'll take your money without mentioning this.

Another thing to keep in mind:  After a while, your hospital may even help you pay for classes.  Don't count on it, but some vets will support the education of their employees.

FYI:  Licensed techs and registered techs are different terms for the same thing.

Another thing that Lala mentioned:  A few states require training and a certificate to operate x-ray machines.  Most don't; it varies by state.

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.  :)  Again, if you just want to help and not make a career out of it, I'd really urge you to just start working in the hospital, whether or not it's for pay.  I'm sure they could use an extra pair of hands on Saturdays or in the evenings.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Kanchii

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 10:15:03 PM »
As someone who has extensive animal industry experience, also in a Humane Society, here's my two cents...

While the knowledge you may gain getting your vet tech degree (most of them are two year programs, that I'm aware of, unless you're talking about a vet assisting certificate course), is going to give you information you really will never need at a rescue. Will you need to know how to anesthetize an animal, or the names of all the bones of various creatures? Probably not. A vet ASSISTING course might be faster and more relevant to things you would need to help them with (mainly, "easy" stuff like vaccinations).

I don't know how it is at your rescue, but at most humane societies, like the one I worked at, only staff can give stuff like vaccines (except for a couple of the very high up, senior volunteers who were trained).  But rescues can be low key, I know, and I know some where they'll just immediately teach you how to do stuff like give fluids or vaccines as soon as you star volunteering with them so they can put you to work lol.

Now, it's good that you already have another career and all, because as fulfilling as vet teching can be, they don't USUALLY make very good money, even after going to school for a couple years for it.

Offline slj84

• Trade Count: (+51)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 05:06:34 PM »
I am a Registered Vet Tech.  It was a two year degree and I had to take exam to actually get my registered status. You can also get a bachelors in some states or become specialty in a certain field.  You also need to do so many hours (depending on state) of continuing Ed, but there is so many fun conferences for that!  I will say I love my job and cannot see myself doing anything else at the moment, but kellyponyfeathers is right the pay is very little even being registered.   The NAVTA is working on getting the same name for all LVT/CVT/RVT across the USA and hopefully start getting us more recognition and pay, but that's a long ways down the road.

I started school in 2006, graduated in 2008.  I did a lot of my internship in shelter medicine and loved it.  So that's where I looked for my first job.  I lasted 3 months in shelter medicine,  the fit there was not right for me.  The people were back stabbing and incredibly difficult to get along, but I actually loved what I did in general.

I then switched to private small practice.  I fell in love with where I worked and who I worked for and had close friendships with my coworkers.  After 6 years there things slowly started to change in a direction that I felt was unhealthy for me.  So I found another small animal practice and that's currently where I'm at.

Too say it's a easy job would be a lie.  Veterinary medicine is one of the top fields for suicide sadly.  You are mentally, physically and emotionally drained at times.  Add low pay to it and it's a tough field to be in.  But other times the job is so fulfilling.  If you do decide to go this route,  find a place where people lift you up in your career.  So many people get so stressed in this field that people start to tear each other down and it's a terrible cycle and drives people into burn out and compassion fatigue.

So my recommendation is goto to different places and shadow for a few days.  Get a feel of what clinic life is like.  It's not for everyone, so many people only see a small fraction what I do and they think I just stand and hold the animals all day.  Or "play with puppies and kittens" all day as I've been told.  But if it is something you find you have a passion for go for it.  I will warn you though it does consume you, it's not just a job or career for me, it's part of who I am.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 05:17:38 PM by slj84 »

Offline Sukey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 06:31:26 PM »
It isn't an easy job and you don't make very much.   I worked at an animal hospital for 10 years.

I took a veterinary assistant course which was for 3 or 6 months- can't remember now. I learned so much more hands on at the job rather than in the class. I would try to get a part time job at an animal hospital before spending all your money on classes.  I would guess most places will teach you how to give injections, draw blood and how to start IVs, etc.

This is work that you do get burnt out on.  You are constantly on your feet, you get beat up, scratched and bit.  I always hurt my back from lifting large dogs.  If you lucky you work for a doctor who treats you with respect- I did not.  You get attached to patients and see them die.  Most days you come home smelling like pee, poop, dirty dog or anal glands (or all of the above lol!)  I do miss a lot about it, but I wouldn't go back to work where I was.  I considered getting a job at a different animal hospital, but my job that I have now is going well and I started higher there than 10 years of busting my butt ever got me at the animal hospital. I'm not bitter at all  ;). I don't regret what I learned and I'm thankful for the knowledge, because now I can take better care of my critters and I know things to watch for. 

The pay in my area for registered techs isn't much, but larger cities might pay better. One of my co-workers got a job at an overnight emergency clinic and it paid well.

Sorry, I just re-read your post- I saw that you aren't looking for a career as a tech.   Then I would definitely just volunteer or work part-time at the animal hospital rather than go to school for it. You can learn so much just from hands on.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 07:10:48 PM by Sukey »

A Furrever Friends Site

*** Looking for a Glory tin- I have a Starshine tin for trade ***

Offline joce

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 08:15:00 PM »
Ask to volunteer without paying for school. Here most vets don't want registered techs anyway and train their own.

It's great your wanting to volunteer like that. I am sure someone would want your time even if they didn't. Call different rescues and vets.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
-Roger Caras

Offline slj84

• Trade Count: (+51)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 05:07:49 PM »
Ask to volunteer without paying for school. Here most vets don't want registered techs anyway and train their own.

It's great your wanting to volunteer like that. I am sure someone would want your time even if they didn't. Call different rescues and vets.

Depends on the clinic, and the laws in their state on what registered vs non registered can do.  Ohio is a bit lax vs some other states.  With the NAVTA pushing for all states to recognize us as one name (they are apparently wanting veterinary nurse which I'm not sure how because human nurses have the title protected) I think they will also be pushing for clear laws to define what a "tech" vs "assistant" can do, which will force clinics to hire RVT/LVT/CVT instead of training a new hire.  Which is good on one aspect because it will help increase pay, but on the other I have meet many wonderful people who are not registered that are amazing, that would either have to stop or goto school.  It's going to be messy once this all start to happen, and we won't see changes for a few years but they are happening.  Years ago I would of said the same, start out as a assistant and if you really love it and feel you want the RVT after you name go for it.  Now if I get asked that with all the changes starting to happen I just recommend looking into tech school.  They would either be forced into it in the future or have to stop a job they otherwise may love.  I would of never guessed how much politics there are in the vet world, it's crazy!

Sukey your not alone in the work abuse.  Sadly it happens all too much in the veterinary community.  I've been lucky that other then the three months I worked in a bad environment at that shelter I've had two great clinics in 9 years.  When I started getting treated like a working machine at my last clinic without them really seeming the care they were burning me out I decided I needed a change.  It's sad how this is becoming a bad trend when there is already so much that is emotionally pulling on you in the line of work.  I have a bad back and have decided if I can't tech I'm getting out in the far future, once my back can't handle it.  I absolutely love what I do but eventually physically and emotionally I won't be able to anymore and I really don't want to do practice manager or reception jobs. Their jobs are equally as draining.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 05:13:41 PM by slj84 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal