collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 Playset Mystery???  (Read 1362 times)

Offline PeachyPie

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • ~*~*Wishlist*~*~
G1 Playset Mystery???
« on: June 26, 2016, 08:46:17 PM »
I would like to see if there are any G1 playset experts out there? I'm in Australia so tend to have a random collection of G1 ponies from my childhood.

I remember having this playset as a girl: http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Brush_Me_Beautiful_Boutique#European_Releases
It was definitely this set because I still have the White Saddle and Yellow Bonnet (not the colours that come with Peachy's Parlour)

However I really don't remember having Kiss Curl. I'm pretty sure I didn't know she existed until I started collecting later on. I distinctly remember having Peachy with this set.....

So my question is this.......is it likely that I had just a regular UK version and have completely forgotten about Kiss Curl?

Or is it possible that there was a strange Australian release that had Peachy in it with Kiss Curls Parlour?

I'd love to hear if anyone knows anything about this?

Offline pony_magick

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: G1 Playset Mystery???
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 09:14:19 PM »
I had that!! I always wondered how I managed to have the yellow bonnet when I only had the Peachy BMBB when I lived in NZ> I think we just got a mixture of stuff.
I am a Dreamer/So a Believer

My want list.

Offline PeachyPie

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • ~*~*Wishlist*~*~
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 10:24:31 PM »
I had that!! I always wondered how I managed to have the yellow bonnet when I only had the Peachy BMBB when I lived in NZ> I think we just got a mixture of stuff.

Aha! I was trying to think if maybe i'd not remembered properly. But then, where did this Peachy come from?  I'm glad i'm not the only one  :enthralled:

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 10:56:57 AM »
You may have got Peachy mail order?

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 12:09:42 PM »
I'm in the US but your post reminds me of my Lullabye nursery. According to what I can find I had the 2nd edition nursery with the blue dresser but my nursery came with regular eyed Baby Tiddleywinks instead of the BBE one.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 04:29:24 PM »
It's really hard to know unless anyone in Aus remembers whether you had a special issue like this. I wouldn't say it was impossible, but there is one thing that springs to mind for me.

Two, actually. First is the fact that ours had Grooming Parlour on the label on the back, whereas the American one has something else on the label. It's possible that either version could've sold over there, or maybe both. Given that we had a Peachy parlour, and a Snuzzle Parlour in blue, I don't see why leftover Peachy ponies could not have been put in BMBB playsets and sold in Australia. We also had random ponies shoved in Kitchens at a later point.

So maybe Australia had the American boutique with Peachy shoved in as an extra? Would be interesting to find out...

Lullabye Nursery came in both versions here (and the West German one, not sure of how this varies from the older one?) but only with regular eyed Baby Tiddly, so there are some significant pony/set variations in different countries. I genuinely wish there was more info on Australia and New Zealand's pony release, as it's such a curious hybrid it would be great to know more.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline PeachyPie

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • ~*~*Wishlist*~*~
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 07:54:28 PM »
I genuinely wish there was more info on Australia and New Zealand's pony release, as it's such a curious hybrid it would be great to know more.

Me too!! From what I remember in my collection I had probably more UK release ponies than US. I had a Hopscotch and non SS Honeycombe. Both of which are long gone now and I am KICKING myself about it!

It almost seems as Pony_Magick & Pony Fan described. As though there were a few random leftovers that got bundled up into sets and sold to get rid of some old stock. Which is probably much more 80s style business than now. For example, one Easter I got a chocolate MLP egg with Baby Moondream inside. No accessories or anything. Just the pony in plastic inside a big chocolate egg. Like....what the!! Meanwhile I thought it was the best Easter egg ever.  :) :silly:

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 09:11:38 AM »
I also ended up with both the puffy and and flat stickers for Baby Tiddleywinks but I know that sometimes the sticker didn't always match the pony it came with so I have no idea how I got both stickers.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 03:15:06 PM »
We got some seriously weird stuff over here! I myself have got a Kisscurl from a childhood collection I bought, so she was either sold here, or was given by an overseas relative, probably the playset was thrown away. I have also found catnips at market stalls and op shops in bins of small toys, so that playset was definitely sold here. We didn't get mail order ponies at all that I know of. I know that I was bitterly disappointed by that fact as a child, that we never could send away for things in either the MLP of Grand champions lines, it was always US or UK residents only. However there is the odd MO pony to be found around, so maybe they were placed in regular pony packaging here, or sold with playsets, I know my best friend had MO Star Hopper, and she never went overseas. Australia is the new UK: a land of pony mysteries! I doubt it'll ever be figured out though - we got too much random stuff from different places, US, UK, Scandinavian releases... I've even come across Italians here, whether or not they were sold here though is a mystery, but there's a few around.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 03:17:30 PM by Stormness_1 »

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 03:55:40 PM »
I think if you got together, those of you who grew up with G1 in the 80s, you'd be surprised at the info you'd come up with. A lot of the UK info comes from a collective of memory and childhood scraps/packages etc from around the UK ponypeople over the past several years and new stuff is still coming to light now. It is harder with Aus as I don't think there are many packages which are directly stamped Australia, but there are still unique things there and it would be great to be able to pin down what was and wasn't available.

I've heard several people mention the easter eggs with the Sunset Newborns, which is a uniquely Aussie thing I think (or at least that region of the world).

I am pretty sure I heard someone say before that Kiss Curl came out over there. But it's possible you had both. Here in the UK we had weird stuff with the Waterfall in 1985 - it was sold with both Sprinkles and Cascade at different times but while Cascade is on all the marketing, Sprinkles is the one in all the stories. I have the boxes for both - the playset is the same and both are stamped 1985 inside the box as many early playset boxes in the UK are, so they were out around the same time. But there's no explanation for why this happened. Except, maybe, they ran out of Cascade and, instead of paying to make more, used leftover Sprinkles instead. Cheaper to print a box perhaps? They have slightly different product codes, and modified instructions, although I tend to assume that the Cascade one was modelled from the US Sprinkles one and the Sprinkles one is much the same as the US one, except the necessary edits for UK release in the text. The product codes are different for each set. I can't remember offhand which one is dated first, but they are both 1985.

I wonder if the same is true in Australia. Maybe the parlours ran out of Kiss Curl and so used leftover Peachy instead?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 04:00:35 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline PeachyPie

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • ~*~*Wishlist*~*~
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 05:25:34 PM »
I know my best friend had MO Star Hopper, and she never went overseas. Australia is the new UK: a land of pony mysteries!

OMG ME TOO!! Specifically Star Hopper! I didn't even realize she was mail order until I started collecting when I was older and was all like.......why does she have white hair?

I think if you got together, those of you who grew up with G1 in the 80s, you'd be surprised at the info you'd come up with.

I really wish that Australia had Pony fairs! I would so love to meet other Aussie pony collectors in real life!
 :cloud: :cloud:

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 05:42:58 PM »
I know in my case I can only remember the last couple of years being in-store, I was born in '89 and we were dirt poor, so I didn't get many trips to the toy store until much later, when G2 came out and I was working for my money with my stepdad. I know for sure we had the US Sweet Kisses ponies and the UK Sweet Kisses ponies in store at the same time, because I chose between similar ponies in SHS and normal pony poses. (I chose Ruby Lips, for anyone wondering, she was skinny like me!) I also know we definitely had most US sets, because I've found someone from most sets in childhood lots I've bought over the years. Our distribution seems a bit wonky though, I'm thinking we sometimes only ordered some of a set, maybe half sets, or 4 instead of 6 from some of the bigger sets, as there are some ponies that are very common, and some I've never even seen in Australia, except from other collectors. There are some sets that seem to be missed altogether. I've never seen a Glow n Show here, and they should have been in stores around when I was looking for ponies. I definitely would have wanted a glowing pony, I had GITD stuff everywhere. Secret Surprise ponies too - never seen one sold here, which is strange, because Keypers were totally a thing here. As for UK ponies, I mostly have 2nd hand knowledge other than the Sweet Kisses ponies, and I've found Kisscurls, Tales ponies, Rollerskate ponies, UK Family Ponies, Best Friends ponies, Bedtime Newborn ponies, and even the odd Activity Club baby pony over here in childhood collections, as well as the odd UK playset piece. But I by no means have a complete knowledge, mostly what other collectors have passed on, or people remember from their own childhoods, which sadly often isn't much. I did speak to one lady who was selling her daughter's ponies as the daughter had heard that they had lead in them and bought new ones for her own daughter, that she'd bought them all brand new in store, as they'd been fairly well off, and that lot included a Kisscurl as well now that I think about it, so she's definitely confirmed as sold here.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline PeachyPie

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • ~*~*Wishlist*~*~
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 08:24:18 PM »
I know in my case I can only remember the last couple of years being in-store, I was born in '89 and we were dirt poor

I'm an 85 baby! And originally from Brisbane too.  :lovey:

What you say sounds so familiar. I was the same, not super well off so a lot of my Ponies are hand-me down. I do remember getting Dainty Dahlia from the Kmart at Cannon Hill though. Who know's what possessed me to pick a grey pony. I have a feeling she was the only one there!

But agreed, I think we just didn't get all of the releases, or even full sets. Interesting that you've seen so much Kiss Curl. I'll have to ask my sister to see if she remembers her at all. Maybe we did have her but she was lost early on or something.....?  Then who knows where Peachy came from. 

Also, totally with you on GITD. I had little stars stuck to my ceiling so when you turned the lights out at night it was like the milky way. I would have LOVED the glow & show ponies.

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 09:39:25 AM »
Well, I know here in the US my friends dance parlor came with a pink case, while mine came with a yellow one. It's possible they did then the same thing they did with the G3 players - specific items, but random colors.

I'm kinda grasping at straws, here. ^^;
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline PeachyPie

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • ~*~*Wishlist*~*~
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 05:44:38 PM »
Well, I know here in the US my friends dance parlor came with a pink case, while mine came with a yellow one. It's possible they did then the same thing they did with the G3 players - specific items, but random colors.

I'm kinda grasping at straws, here. ^^;

Lol, but not impossible!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal