collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: It's been a while since I've been around...so I have a question  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Squirtsquirt

• Trade Count: (+235)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Life ended up happening and that pulled me away from the pony community for a while.  Unfortunately, it's not looking any better.  As much as I love my ponies, it's gotten to the point that I have to make a decision.  After my divorce was finalized and I had to move out, I realized just how many ponies I ended up with.  Now, I have no room for them. :(

I find myself needed to sell my G3's, since that is really the last generation I collected seriously.  I am looking into selling them, so I wanted to see what the best options would be.  Obviously there is eBay, but I'd rather see them go to people that would appreciate them.

Is there still a market for any particular G3s?  I have quite a few still MIB, and some loose but mint.  Anything still in demand?

Help would be appreciated.  I could liquidate them on eBay, which I might end up doing.  Of course, I would prefer giving first preference here, though...if anyone wants any, that is. :)

Thanks so much. :)
Thanks to Whippetluv for my awsome persona pony!!

Offline The Little White Horse

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: It's been a while since I've been around...so I have a question
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 03:03:56 PM »
I don't have much advice regarding where to sell.

But I would definitely be interested - I'm looking for a few specific G3s. :)

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 03:25:46 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear about your circumstances. :( That sounds really rough, but hopefully selling your G3s will give you some breathing room.

There are a few G3s that still command higher than average prices, especially to collectors. :) Obviously, rare exclusives like Rosey Posey, Bay Breeze, etc. are still valuable. But also a few that were (slightly) more widely released, like the Birthflower set, Beach Belle & Carribbean Delight, Rainbow Bubbles, and Snowdrop Swirl. Minty is still popular, especially her TAF winter release. Who else... Diva-pose Tink-a-tink-a-too... Portobella with her hat maybe? Unicorns and, to a lesser extent, pegasus G3s seem to move pretty well, although not for Big Buck$, as do most holiday ponies.

For run-of-the-mill ponies, it would probably be a better bet to eBay them in small lots if you don't get any bites here. Otherwise, you could be sitting on them a while. :huh: Personally, I'd be interested to see what you've got. ;)

Best of luck to you! :hug:

Offline Squirtsquirt

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 03:29:56 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I actually have most of them.  I'm going to keep some, that are my favorites, but I have a 10 x 10 storage unit that a quarter of it is stacked with boxes of ponies.  Yes, that is a LOT of ponies!

Some of them I have MIB and loose both.  I'll pull my list out and start going through which ones I know where they are and I guess list them up.  If someone wants anyone in particular, I can look for them.  They are mostly organized, so shouldn't take a long time to find.  Key word...shouldn't. :)

I do need to start figuring this out, as I can't spend that much on storage long term.  *sighs*  As long as they get good homes...

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 03:30:06 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about the circumstances of selling your G3s. :( Me, I've only thought of selling most of mine to save space but I can't quite part with them.

Anyway, yeah... G3s still don't move very fast unless they're rarer ones, from what I've seen. But it's good you came first to the community here, as that's the best surefire way to get the most money for your ponies rather than going through something like eBay.

Edit: I'd start by taking some quick photos of what you have in the For Sale forum to tease what you have available, then work on getting some more detailed pictures and lists once you've got interest forms, maybe? Since you have so many ponies, maybe offering discount deals as incentive to move the more common ponies. Best of luck to you. :)
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Squirtsquirt

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 06:26:00 PM »
I am planning to go to the storage unit tomorrow, as it's been in the 90s the last couple of days and the last thing I wanted to do was go into a 100 degree + building and dig through boxes!  I don't know what kind of pictures I could get, as the unit is unlit and the hall lighting isn't great.  I need to find my inventory book, which would make my life soooo much easier.  If I can't find that, I'll just have to start pulling boxes out one at a time and trying to sell what is there before going to the next box.

I've replied to everyone that has PM'ed me, so if I left anyone out, just send a reminder.  As much as I hate to part with my ponies, it's time. :(

Offline Pinkie-kitty

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • G3 is my favorite<3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 04:15:25 AM »
Most of the g3s on ebay go for pretty cheap. Even local sellers near me sell them next to nothing.. I've gotten 60+ ponies for like $20. However, this is my favorite generation so if you ever get around to posting a selling thread I will more than likely be getting a bunch from you. I'm sorry you're having to part from your collection :/

Offline millenium0chi

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 07:30:01 AM »
You've gotten some excellent input here from previous comments.  I just wanted to say that I'm sorry about your situation and I hope things get better for you very soon.  I don't collect the G3s anymore, but if you start a sale post, I'll take a look.  There are some that I still wouldn't mind having.
Be a Blessing
Looking for my childhood loves:
Princess Tiffany, Mimic, Twinkler, Surf Rider (baby sea pony), Majesty, Megan and Sundance, Cotton Candy

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 08:51:36 AM »
I would be interested in any Birth Flowers that you have for sale, as well as Carribbean Delight and Beach Belle. PM me once you get a chance to sort everything out :)
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline HappyHounds

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 01:38:31 PM »
Hmm, that is quite the collection you have!

I'm a G3 collector, so I'd love to see what you have!
I would love to help you out, whether it be finding prices, promoting your sales, or taking a couple off your hands ^.^
Previously known as: PeaxhyPie

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 03:09:22 PM »
I'm very sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time, but I am happy to see you back in the community.  Even if it's only to sell off some G3s, it's nice to see you again:)  I remember you from way back!  I hope things get better for you!

G3s can be a hard sell.  Your best bet would probably be to cherry pick the highest value and most popular ponies to sell individually, and then sell off the rest in small lots of sets.  If you can match up the correct accessories/brushes with the ponies, that'll probably help things.  G3s do move. Unfortunately for your average pony, price is the number one factor that will get them out the door. Sellers who hold on to the idea of getting the most they can are the ones that end up with piles of G3s sitting in their garage for years. Once you've done your set lots, if you're highly motivated to sell quickly, just combine the leftovers into larger lots and drop the price.  They'll eventually sell. Playsets are a bit harder with the insane shipping costs.  If you can get someone to take them, just take whatever they'll offer you.   I've had to donate playsets to Goodwill before.  They are NOT easy to sell.  MIB ponies can also suffer from the "shipping's too darn much" syndrome, especially for the more common ponies.  Offering to open MIB ponies to reduce shipping costs(with a "once it's opened, no returns for factory defects" policy in effect) might help sell a few after the first couple rounds of sales.

The following ponies tend to be most in demand:
MLP Fair/SDCC ponies
Beach Belle/Caribbean set
Birthflowers
Birth stones(not as much as the birth flowers though)
Holiday ponies(particularly Christmas)
Unicorn/Pegasus ponies, particularly the singles
Some of the later ponies that came out just before they started to remove the magnets and go Core 7 are pretty popular too(Crystal Princess line for the most part). 
Pretty/unique ponies(Silver Rain, Cloud Climber, etc) can sell quicker and higher than other ponies from their set.
UK/Euro exclusives(Snippy Snap, those SLH ponies that only came out in Europe, etc)
Special event ponies(Posey Rosey, The Breast Cancer Pony, Toy Fair ponies, etc)
Some store exclusives, but definitely not all.   The 3 Walmart exclusive ponies that came with that big castle towards the end of the full G3 line go for a pretty penny(minus the castle - nobody wants to pay shipping on that thing).  Anchor's Away tends to be pretty valuable for a G3(minus the playset of course).  If you have some of the store exclusive accessory sets(Avalonia with the butterfly catcher set, that Target Mommy/Baby beach set, etc), you could try to get all the accessories together, and sell it complete.  The Target babies are also pretty popular.  People like babies. 

The following ponies generally aren't big sellers:
Random exclusives like Target's Blue Mist or Juniper Jade aren't really high end exclusives.  The more popular ones tend to be the holiday or accessory sets.   Also, the first set of Target Easter ponies are dirt common. They made A LOT of those.  Christmas and Halloween are the most popular.
There's not so much pose collecting going on now.  If you have a rare pose of a particular pony, I'd try to sell it off in the first round, but I wouldn't expect a lot of fighting over it.  Subtle differences(like eye color, slight symbol variations, etc) are a lot less marketable now too.  You might get some interest, but I wouldn't bank on it.
The first couple years(Celebration and Friendship Ball lines) are not as popular as Butterfly Island and Crystal Princess for the most part.  Once you get into the 25th Anniversary line, interest drops right off because of the birth of the Core 7 thing. 
Core 7 ponies are (in general) not valuable.  The set with the words written on the ponies can go for a little bit of money if it's complete, but other than that - meh.
Any uninspired generic pony that looks like half the MLP line and has nothing unique about it.  With all the G3s for sale in the community, it's easy to complete a set, so the most interest will be with the ponies that are pretty or unique.
Those weird gimmick ponies(Ice Skating/Ballet set), and anything that's just kind of awkward to look at.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 03:31:48 PM by goddessofpeep »

Offline Squirtsquirt

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 03:09:25 PM »
Thanks for all the input! :)

I have been going through some of the stuff I have, but I think I'm still missing quite a bit.  I think I'll end up just grabbing a box and seeing what is there.  I will hopefully grab the rest of my boxes in the next few weeks...it's just a question of time/room/temps not being in the 90s. 

My set is all MIB, with my daughter's being mint out of box.  I opened hers and put them straight into zip lock baggies to keep them nice and keep all the accessories together.  I was hoping to give them all to her, but she grew up and lost interest.  Sooo, I do have a couple large boxes of open but mint ponies as well.

I have tons of the extras, too...all the oddball stuff that was MLP related.  I guess I'll just take my chances on those.  I paid retail or less for most of my stuff, so I'm not desperate to get $20 per pony, or something insane.  I just need them to go, sadly.  :cry:

I can't promise specifics to anyone at this point.  The things I thought I had I can't find.  If I have more G1 stuff to sell, I will.  I think I sold most of my internationals, though.  That was all listed with my G3s, so I'm pretty busy at the moment finding things.

Hopefully I can get something started soon, though, and see what happens.

Thanks again... :)

BryteStar

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 03:54:12 PM »
There are some of us here still looking for the not-so-rarities too! I'm a newbie collector (and on a budget!) so I definitely am still looking for the ones that aren't as expensive/rare to start up my collection.

I just didn't want you to feel discouraged and like only the rarest ones will sell. :)

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 04:33:56 AM »
First: I'm sorry you have to go through a rough patch and on top of that sell off your collection. Hugs to you!

second: Agreeing with the people saying there are peeps looking for the not-so-rare ones as well. I'd make a thread here first, and move on to eBay with the rarer ones if they didn't sell. I'm just re-starting my g3 collection and am looking for both rarer and more common ones (as well as custom baits), so I'd definitely say there's a market even for the common ones :)

good luck!

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline klmccass

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 06:31:12 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear about everything. There is a market for G3. I just posted a huge want list under the wanted section. PM me!

Thanks to Mainsail for my awesome siggy! :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal