collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is there a pony that you wanted as a child, but did not get?  (Read 6165 times)

Offline nemubones

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • With every mistake We must surely be learning -GH
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a pony that you wanted as a child, but did not get?
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2016, 09:58:08 PM »
I really wanted one of the Soda Sippin ponies after I saw them at a Revco growing up. At the time money was tight as my dad was between jobs so I never got around to getting them. Course I have them so all is good. ^.^

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2016, 01:04:35 AM »
I can't recall any....

A lot of my ponies were bought second-hand, so with those I had no idea what other ponies were in their sets.

With the ones that were bought new at the store, I usually picked them out myself. The only exceptions I can think of were my two Magic Message ponies and my two Sweetberry ponies. Mom picked those out, and I can't remember ever looking at their backcards and passionately wanting a different pony.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2016, 01:11:27 AM »
I can't recall any....

A lot of my ponies were bought second-hand, so with those I had no idea what other ponies were in their sets.

With the ones that were bought new at the store, I usually picked them out myself. The only exceptions I can think of were my two Magic Message ponies and my two Sweetberry ponies. Mom picked those out, and I can't remember ever looking at their backcards and passionately wanting a different pony.

Without exposure to the cartoons, comics or back cards its interesting that you were more content. My channels for seeing new ponies were story tapes and what other people had.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2016, 01:38:41 AM »
I can't recall any....

Without exposure to the cartoons, comics or back cards its interesting that you were more content. My channels for seeing new ponies were story tapes and what other people had.

Well I did watch the cartoon religiously,  but all of the ponies featured were ones that were released in years prior to when I got most of my store-bought ponies  (the only exception was Paradise who I'd picked out at Toys 'R Us). Had I seen Galaxy & Fizzy in the store, I definitely would have wanted them.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 01:46:22 AM by northstar3184 »

Offline Brightglowpony

• Trade Count: (+32)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2016, 04:20:25 AM »
I wanted Mimic so badly as a kid!  Not because I knew she would be sought after, but because I loved tropical birds and the Golden Horseshoes episode she was featured in.  I also wanted Chief when I discovered him pictured in one of my coloring books.  He reminded me of my grandfather, who was a volunteer fire fighter- I thought it was so cool that there was a fireman pony!
Wishlist
Thank you to Witch for my stunning avatar!

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2016, 04:37:20 AM »
Snuzzle was probably my favourite pony that I never actually had as a kid. I really wanted her, but didn't get one until I started collecting as an adult (and now I have an army).

I also badly wanted Mimic because I loved the look of her in the pamphlet. I only saw her once in store, though, and I opted to get Jangles and Tangles instead because I was away from home and I thought it would be more fun to have accessories to play with. I know I never saw her in store again because I would have bought her at another time.  This has lead me to believe that 1. There was some overlap between years available in store in Canada, and 2. That Mimic was short packed in that set.

Elf

Offline StrawberryScoops

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2016, 05:00:20 AM »
I'll jump in with the others who said lots of ponies!!!

The ones I wanted that I saw in stores and was unable to convince someone to buy for me were Baby Princess Sparkle (my mom didn't see the point in her because she had gotten the original buggy for me at a yard sale...), Half Note and Sweet Note. I remember being at the store and having so much difficulty choosing which Rockin Beats pony to get my mom to buy since I liked them all! I went with Pretty Beat and later got Tuneful as a gift. In the later years here I found a lot of the ponies weren't available or seen in stores. I remember constantly wanting to get a pony and not being able to find any. Or just seeing the Sundazzle and Eyelash princess ones which I wasn't interested in. I found it so disappointing to go to the store to pick out a pony and there not being any.

There were also ponies my friends had that I wanted. Some were earlier ponies no longer available and others were ones I just never came across in stores. They were Applejack, Bow Tie, Moondancer, Flutterbye, Peach Blossom, Brightglow (I had the other 3 Glow N Shows), Merry Treat, Pony Bride, Baby Rainribbon, and Baby Sunribbon.

Then there were ponies I saw on packaging of ponies I received as gifts. I was given a Secret Star but fell in love with Pretty Puff and really wanted her. I was also given Teeny Tiny Twins Sniffles and Snookums who I adored! But, I also really wanted Rattles and Tattles when I saw them on the package.

There are probably more that I'm forgetting. I loved ponies so much as a child and was so disappointed to grow up when many were hard to find in stores around here. I always wanted more. Trying to get the ponies I wanted but never had was a major factor in why I started collecting. I still love ponies and want all the ones I didn't and don't have!

Offline Lightninglover

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2016, 05:36:27 AM »
I remember a friend of mine having Applejack & I was rather jealous! I also kept seeing Firefly & Medley in the UK comics & wondering why I could never find one...

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2016, 12:46:22 PM »
Most of the ponies I wanted as a kid I didn't get. Something about the bad distribution in my area coupled with my settling for a different pony if there wasn't the one I wanted most on the shelf.

Also, though, ponies like Glory, Medley, Starflower etc - who weren't sold here, but were in our stories.

I think it would be quicker to list the ponies I DID get that I wanted most.

Probably the only pony I wanted most from a set that I DID get was Songster. But even she didn't have wings...like I expected her to have...xD
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2016, 03:01:35 PM »
I wanted Bubbles, Bluebelle, Minty, Twilight. I even wanted more Big brothers and I only was allowed Tex. The list would of gone on and I really wanted the newborn baby ponies and the Nursery which I never got. I have the Nursery now with all of its accessories. Im happy with that and all the ponies. :)

Offline Squirtsquirt

• Trade Count: (+235)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2016, 03:07:15 PM »
Seashell

I never found Bubbles or Seashell, but one of the outlets ended up getting Bubbles.  I had to wait until eBay was up and running to get my Seashell.  I love her, but...I still wish I had been able to get her when I was a kid. :)
Thanks to Whippetluv for my awsome persona pony!!

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2016, 03:26:11 PM »
Well I wasn't a really little kid at the time (about 12ish) but when G3s were in their heyday, I really wanted Sunny Daze and couldn't find her anywhere at all. She was one of my favourites in the cartoon! I'm not too bothered about her nowadays; she's cute but I wouldn't specifically look for her.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2016, 03:27:02 PM »
Yes! That's how I got Wind Drifter as my childhood pony!

The episode I remember most from childhood was The Fugitive Flowers, recorded off TV, and I loved Masquerade. But at the time it was probably a rerun and she was no longer in stores, so all I knew was that I wanted "the winged yellow pony with green hair."
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2016, 07:13:40 PM »
I wanted G1 Minty pretty badly.  I also remember wanting all of the first year unicorns and winged ponies... as well as wishing for all the rainbow ponies.  Fortunately, I was content with one from each set.  But as I had never seen Minty in person, she was still kind of grail to at least hold in my hands.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2016, 08:30:56 PM »
I have a vague recollection of wanting a glow and show when I was younger....  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal